So now I gotta know...

Griffinator

I auditioned a few Yammies in Tweeter a couple of years ago while was shopping for a receiver. Thir sound seemed to me a bit over-processed, actually quite similar to the sound of Sony receivers (DA5ES for example). I went for Denon AVR3803 for its natural warm audio.

Now speaking about a completely ignored brand ... what about JVC receivers? Just curious. Never owned and never auditioned myself. But I owned quite a few nice JVC products before and am just curious how their receivers stack up to the competition.

----------------

On 5/27/2003 10:11:03 AM garymd wrote:

Griff, you must be referring to the 80s as far as calling Kenwood & Pioneer also-rans. My '76 Kenwood kr-9600 blows away anything Yammy made back then, as do some of the mega Pioneer SS receivers of the 70s.
2.gif
IMHO of course.

----------------

Indeed, Gary. Pioneer peaked around 1981 with their SX series stuff. They went into RAPID decline after that.

The stuff I am forced to look at on my store shelves that carries the Pioneer logo makes me sick. 7.1 channel IC powered?! with the Surround back SHARING the 6th channel of the amp?! CRAPTACULAR, if you ask me...

Griffinator,

Preemptively, I don't intend to start a flame.

I use Yamaha RX-V1300 with the Klipsch Legend series speakers. It sounds awesome for music ( specially the 6 ch Stereo ), and very clear for movies. Not at all bright. I have all the treble and bass set to flat. It does have a myriad of DSP modes, however after experimenting with all of them, I settled down on 2 or 3.

I do like the video switching, 6 ch pre-outs, 6 ins (for SACD/DVD-A), assignable inputs (that is a life saver), and compatibility with all the sound formats (DD, DD EX, DPL, DPL II, DTS, DTS ES, DTS Neo:6).

What I read on the boards about the Yamaha receivers and what my ears (and everyone else I invite to my house) hear are extreme ends of the spectrum. I have been extremely impressed with my receiver.

Like some wise man said, "To each his own !"

Cheers ! 1.gif

I had, still have just not in use, a Yamaha RX-V2300 and loved it. It was replaced with the Parasound HALO separates, the deal was just to good to pass up.

The Yamaha is for sale if interested. Please email me directly at mam165@comcast.net .

Regards,

Mike

There was a time in the early 80's when Pioneer was owned by Phase Linear and some of the high end stuff made its way into the Pioneer line. I had a Pioneer linear turntable, the PL-L1000, that was made by Phase and that was identical to one which was marketed under the Phase Linear name for $750. I also had a Pioneer receiver that put out 200wpc and had pre-outs and main-ins with removable jumpers. I can't remember the model number. The bad purchasing decision I made in those days was to pass on a pair of brand new La Scala's for $1,100.8.gif

I used to (actually still do) have a Yamaha R-V702 hooked up to a pair of Infinity RS2000.5 towers. It had a nice clean sound and the Infinities were actually pretty decent speakers. Nothing to write home about, but still decent speakers for the price. The Yamaha RX-V800 was on my short list as a replacement, but in the end, went for the Denon AVR3802.

Also, my oldest brother has a Yamaha RX-V1200 hooked up to his Klipsch KG4.2s and he swears by it.

Just for fun, I'll have to take that Yamaha R-V702 reciever and hook it up to my RF-5s and see how it sounds. The RF-5s are easier to get at and move in my system.

So yeah, it does seem Yamaha is under appreciated for the most part, but they do make some nice recievers, especially at the higher end (RX-V1300+ or the Z series).

Somebody else mentioned the JVC. From the reviews I have seen, it seems like the newest models of the JVC recievers are pretty nice. Anybody have any experience with them? The only JVC component I have is my DVD player and it does a nice job. The only gripe I have with it is that on the occasional disk, it has a heck of a time switching layers. Most disks, you cannot even tell, but there is that occasional one (such as about 52 minutes into the second disk in the extended version of Lords of the Rings: Fellowship) where the whole screen seem to break up for a second, and then it continues. First time I encountered that, I thought I had a bad copy so I exhanged it. When I got a new copy, I tried it again, and it did the same thing. I took the disk over to Tweeter and tried it on a Pioneer Elite DV-A45 player, and it played the same section flawlessly.