Cornwall or Chorus II?

texas42

Hi,

I'm new to this board but long time Klipsch aficionado. I've owned several models in the past to include a pair of Cornwalls, LaScalas, and KLF 20s. Currently using a pair of Eminent Technology LFT-VIIs but miss the 'horn sound'. I've been contemplating purchase of the new RF-7s but now thinking for half that of buying a pair of Cornwalls or Chorus II. There are two pair of each model within driving distance for sale and range in price from $750-900 (asking). Questions, if I may since I have never auditioned the Chorus II. How do they compare relative to the Cornwalls? (Imaging, bass, accuracy, etc?). Which is the best bang for the buck? I understand the Chorus replaced the Cornwalls but I am guessing that may not be indicative of their relative merits. Anyone have both or extensive experience with these? Any thoughts/opinions greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dave

I have never heard Cornwalls.

I have Chorus II.

I like the firm bass of the rear firing passive radiator. There are more Corn owners since they were in poduction for a long time.

NOS 440 heard my Chorus II yesterday and he thought they sounded like a Bose Lifestyle system.

JUST KIDDING; LOOSEN UP!

I bought the Chorus II without listening for $ 800; last fall.

I have not been disapointed.

You maybe get a bit more low end hz and efficiency with a ported Corn. Chorus II is a bit more firm from 50-150 hz perhaps.

Both speakers need tube amps to develop the "by design voicing".

Neither speaker is a bad taste; just a different flavor.

And if you cannot fit the girth of either into your listening environment; go for the RF-7.

BUT per DEANG and LEOK; tubes or low watt very clean SS power is a necessity for the premium 2 channel reproduction objective.

Audio Flynn

Out!

My impression of Chorus II's is similar to that of Audio Flynn. I've owned a pair for a couple of months now. I have some familiarity with Cornwalls, but not on the same equipment or in the same room. My general impression is that Chorus II bass is somewhat more defined and less dominant than that of Cornwalls. I recall little difference in the character of mids and highs. In fact, the original Chorus (with ported cabinets) had the same mid driver and tweeter as the Corns that they replaced. Cornwalls are more appealing to traditionalists and the prices often reflect that. I feel Chorus are often underappreciated and a good value. I picked up a nearly perfect set for six; Corns in the same condition would probably have been considerably more. But for similar money I'd almost surely have gone for Cornwalls.

I had a pair of Chorus II's in the past and did a side by side comparison with my Cornwalls. Both are great speakers, but I decided to keep the Cornwalls and sold the Chorus II's. I preferred their sound with all exponential horns over the Chorus which contained a Tractrix® Mid Horn. The Cornwall also won out as far as being more flexible in room placement. The Chorus II needed to be near a wall for maximum bass reproduction due to the rear-firing passive radiators.

You cant go wrong with either.

Greetings:

Welcome to the forum, it's a pleasant place to read and learn, or be taught. Glad to have you from a relative newbie.

I have the pleasure of owning both. As of yet I have not a - b'd them, but I will agree that a good tube amp OR a good Solid State will bring you to a state of Nirvana.

Not listed in my pedigree is a Yamaha CR1000 Receiver, and an NAD 7125 receiver, along with a lot of Adcom (I state that owning the equipment is fun, but the sound is moooore fun.)

I've had all of the above sans Adcom hooked to my Cornwall IIs and to a pair of modified Heresys (don't get confused yet) and I can say you won't go wrong with either choice. They are Klipsch and you will get the nuances and definition placement will allow.

I respect the original Heritage line and am a true believer that the Cornwall is a part of the ORIGINAL Heritage line. I am also glad that the Choruses have been added since they were produced while PWK still came in to the Hope office a number of times per week.

Take some measurements of your listening room/area and figure if you have room to play in placement. Also take some very familiar CDs to listen and note what is driving the speakers.

Let your ears help be the judge if placement and what is driving them is good.

In the end, you will own Klipsch. Congratulations ahead of time1.gif

Thanks for all the info...I plan on giving both models an audition this weekend and hope to come back with a pair of one of them. For home theater, I already have a pair of KSP-S6s for surrounds, so just need to find a good center channel for them. I had an KLF-C7, but it was too big for proper placement. Any ideas on which center is best mated to either the Cornwalls or Chorus?

----------------

On 5/28/2003 4:09:28 PM texas42 wrote:

Any ideas on which center is best mated to either the Cornwalls or Chorus?

----------------

A hardy welcome too! You are likely to get better responses if you post the center channel question in the Home Theater area of the forum. However, an Academy is a good match for both, but they are hard to come by and can be quite costly. Its size (23.25" x 11" x 10") is close to that of the KLF-C7.

You may want to consider bulding a custom center using similar drivers as in the fronts you select. The Center Channel Wizards in the Home Theater area can offer far better options.

Wish you the best.