something wrong with hardware conflicts or something?

prodj101

well, I'm not sure if I just have exceedingly high expectations or w/e, but I would really expect that ever game I play should run perfectly smooth at the highest settings with this new comp. I have 1 gig of DDR RAM, a Radeon 9800, P4 2.4 ghz, sound blaster audigy, seagate baracuuda 7200 RPM hard drive and a motherboard with a 533 FSB. Yet with all this I can not run games like Unreal Tournament in maxed out settings without it being just a little choppy. Never Winter Knights even gets choppy, and to me that game isn't graphically demanding at all. than there is NBA live 2003 which is just terrible (around 50 fps). whats up?

OK... I am going to just yell at you here... sorry for what I may say. 2.gif

50 FPS?!!! AND YOU COMPLAIN? GET OFF THE HIGH HORSE YOU ARE ON GOSH DANG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now for the non-all caps portion...

Look, I have a decent computer, and it SHOULD run most games (not really new games) in maxed settings and not be choppy. BUT, guess what framerate I get... just guess....

Oh, well, in Firearms (Half-Life mod) I get anywhere from 7-30 FPS NORMAL. And may I say that the 30FPS is a PEAK. In Frontline Force (another HL mod) I get, oh about 5-15 FPS. 15 on a GOOD day, GOOD server, with NO ONE else in. Ya... so, my message is this:

LIVE WITH YOUR 'MEASELY' 50 FPS AND QUIT COMPLAINING!! All you folks with faster computers and you complain about 50-100FPS... what is the world coming to...

Anyway... to be somewhat constructive, are you running this game in OpenGL or DirectX/Direct3D?

• 5 weeks later...

I would like to start by saying pentium sucks. Then I would like to send my deepest respects because you spent a lot of money on a system for it to work so hafe assed. I have two suggestions that will probably not fix your problem because who knows what is wrong if you have all that power and no performance. First don't buy pentiums they have really high numbers ( 533 FSB and 3.2 ghz ) but they really don't perform like they should. Second don't use SATA hard drive as a boot drive computers don't like it. Third get rid of that audigy, yeah it is great for games but if you are posting on a klipsch website you should have a revo or some other musical card. And last but not least hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaha

I am running a AMD athlon xp 1.8ghz clocked up to 2.5 ghz

a gfource4 ti48oo and a hole bunch of other cheaper components and I can get 110 frames a second on max settings on UT2003

so basically what i am saying is I have no way of helping you and I am way cool :P :P :P

I would like to start by saying you're an a$shole. come on this forum runnin your mouth like a little ****% eating b!tch...I'd like to see you talk with this much disrespect to me in person. and actually, I have solved the problem. it was a worm on my comp, and norton detected it so I reformatted and voila. as for you my friend, maybe if you have the balls you'd like to fight sometime, lil **** for brains I'll run your *** down and make you my b!tch. go back to to the valley, we don't need your fake *** here...

Here is my setup...

3.06ghz accidentally overclocked (hehe) to 3.16ghz

2gb ram

200gb 7200, 8mb cache/133

winxp pro

nvidia fx but going to trade "up" to the radeon

herc. digifire 7.1

i have no problems in any games. not even on my 2.4ghz with 512mb ram and a 60gb 7200rpm hard drive.

have you tried a reformat or anything?

"I would like to start by saying you're an a$shole. come on this forum runnin your mouth like a little ****% eating b!tch...I'd like to see you talk with this much disrespect to me in person. and actually, I have solved the problem. it was a worm on my comp, and norton detected it so I reformatted and voila. as for you my friend, maybe if you have the balls you'd like to fight sometime, lil **** for brains I'll run your *** down and make you my b!tch. go back to to the valley, we don't need your fake *** here...

"

Do you realize that challenging/threatening people *over the internet* makes you seem foolish?

-MKL

• Like 1

too much animosity sometimes. dont worry prodj, im sure u kick barrman's 3dmarks score out the window. he can overclock all he wants, but it dont matter.

from one pc enthusiast to another, great RIG you got there, prodj!

and one more thing, Barrman, you cant run Unreal3 at full settings u know why? because with your ancient 4800, once u turn on antialiasing and anistropic filtering, u dont get SQUAT - so i guess you are not running your games at MAX are you? LOL.

if i underclock my 2100 to half its speed, my rig can still mop your rig's gaming abilities - so dont go blabbing your mouth on prodj's rig!

Lets not forget, if prodj wanted to, he could overclock his p4 2.4 to over 3ghz speeds because the 2.4 is arguably the king of overclocks.

edit:

barrman, did u let your friend build your pc for u, u sure dont know what ur talking about.

hmmm, overclocking. when I built my comp I was tempted to throw in a water cooling system, but had to toss the idea because it didn't leave room in the budget for the graphics card 14.gif . I think I should be able to bump it up a little even without though, I have a pretty nice aluminum case and the fans alone keep it below 30 C usually. what do you think it would be safe to OC to?

it would be safe to overclock your 2.4 to about between 2.8 and 3.0 ghz.

make sure to lock your pci and agp clocks if possible. raise your fsb in small increments.

if im not mistaken, i think ur motherboard runs at 133mhz, quad pumped. so it would be safe to say that u can raise the fsb to about 155....

which would mean:

(2.4ghz/533mhz)x620mhz = 2.79ghz ~ 2.8ghz

so there u go... we're assuming a conservative 12% overclock.

what determines your overclock limit would be:

1. cpu chip

2. motherboard options (such as lockable pci/agp clocks)

3. your ram quality

4. motherboard stability

5. cooling

have fun!

however, if u are lucky and u have a stable mobo, good ram (corsair), and watercooling or phase-change cooling... u can easily get it to oc over 3.3 ghz and bottle off around 3.6,3.7ghz.... now that's insane.

also, to my knowledge, several 2.4s have been successfully overclocked to 4.2ghz with liquid nitrogen... but thats a WHOLE 'NOTHER STORY!

• 3 weeks later...

Barrman,

What great help you provide,amazing.

ProDj,

I would reinstall the OS from scratch,install the latest Intel INF chipset driver.The latest ATI Catalyst video card drivers,install Dirext X9.0.Then sound card drivers(latest aproved drivers).And bench the games again

The ATI 9800PRO is one heck of a video card,it outperforms all cards besides the FX5900PRO 256MB.

I have both the ATI 9800PRO and the FX5900PRO(main system),they whip a$$

1.gif

The FX 5800-5900 lineup only heats much more,and cooling is impressive.