Just curious about Bi-amping

Craig6519

Clipped,

Thanks for the compliment! I think most of those strip clubs have a big fan. It must be exhausting. I have one of those vats in the boudoir. I am lowered into it by one of my servants, who all refuse to handle me or my clothes. Then, I'm ready for a bath, and/or PJ's, then off to bed.

Yeah, I had to take that "Bi" crack out. Not that anyone asked me to, it's just that I figure I've been handing out such great material for free, that I'd start selling the good stuff. I accept Paypal and Postal Money orders. Thanks, and good luck!

fini

P.S. The jokes in this post are on the house, but only for you. Everybody else pays, got it?

The alchemy of experience:

1). yesterday evening while mowing the back 40 with a walk behind high weed mower, I was attacked by a large gang of very motivated yellow jackets. They didn't miss much on my body. Ouch! ! !

While soaking in a tub with a solution of warm water and baking soda and thinking I was a character from the movie El Topo I managed to convince myself that this was some kind of enlightening experience and the itchy venom injected a kind of super acupunctural medicine that was somehow good for me, at least it was "natural", so how could it be bad? Then again who knows where those buggers have been and who knows what garbage they eat? Yellow jacket acupuncture, yah....that's the ticket.

2). The most abundant LPs in good condition one finds out there in thrift stores these days are some old timer's Easy Listening albums.

Man, they made a lot of these things. They are often recorded on the best labels and have excellent sonics. They sound great and are good for hearing the full range of your system. I have now decided that these otherwise boring LPs are yesterdays version of today's New Age relaxation music. Now that I have no expectation that this music be as exciting as the "serious" music (good jazz etc.) that I normally listen to, I have found a way to justify playing it. I have actually developed a certain amount of enjoyment for this material. It represents a rather large portion of the recorded music that was sold to mainstream America during the Hi-Fi decades and it is really not as bad as you think. Often, in these orchestras, you will hear good jazz soloists, who were making their living out on the west coast as studio musicians catering to the film industry. Many of the arrangers and orchestra leaders are great talents. At least this material is recorded with real instruments and orchestras not just synthesized. Check it out. How can you pass up mint vinyl from the 50s?

C&S

{fini, that last post of yours stung a bit, I may have to pour gasoline down your nest).

Apparently there was a whole generation of good folks who bought LPs and never really played them!

From a recent thrift store score, and this is barely the tip of the iceberg since I often come away with a similiar box of goodies:

{My philosophy is if it is Vinyl in Mint condition, from the 50s or 60s (actually any decade), on major labels (sometimes I make exception and go with obscure labels), and no more than 50 cents (preferrably 10-25 cents each), I go for it. More often than not I am pleasantly surprised and the two channel system sparkles with those High Fidelity sounds. There is nothing like the feeing of getting 35 cool old albums for the price of one contemporary CD, often it is worth it just for the artwork on the cover. The main problem is storage and weight. Since teaching fini this same philosophy his garage is bulging and his wife and kids are moving out....just kidding).

The Wild Wild West, The Ralph Hunter Choir

Bonjour Paris, Michel Legrand and his Orchestra

Tribute To Henry Busse, Shuffle Rhythm in Hi-Fi

Caribbean Cruise, Paul Weston and his Orchestra

Solo Mood, Hi-Fi from Hollywood

Montilla presents a Sampler in High Fidelity

Holiday In Rome, Michel Legrand

Our Man In Hollywood, Henry Mancini

Love That, Bert Kaempfert and his Orchestra

John Duffy at the Mighty Wurlitzer

Star Dust, Pat Boone (on the Dot label, couldn't pass it up)

My Million Sellers, Larry Clinton and his Orchestra

Music By Starlight, Hugo Winterhalter and his Orch.

Hollywood In Rhythm, Ray Conniff and his Orch.

Love Affair, Ray Coniff and the Singers

A Mellow Bit Of Rhythm, Andy Kirk and his Orch.

67 Melody Lane, Ken Griffin at the Wurlitzer Organ

The Feathery Feeling, voices and violins David Carroll and his Orch.

Waltzes, David Carroll and his Orchestra

Waltzes, Wine, and Candlelight, David Carroll and his Orch.

Something for the Girls, Dick Contino and his accordian with the

David Carroll Orchestra.

Florian Zabach, Golden Strings

Calypso Holiday, The Norman Luboff Choir

Music To Live By, Demonstration record on Mercury

Polka All the Way, Stosh & His Orchestra

101 Strings Plus Accordion (there is endless supply of 101 strings)

Mancini Concert

The Concert Sound of Henry Mancini

Everybody's Favorite, Henry Mancini

With Love from a Chorus, Robert Shaw Chorale

Other interesting things not Easy Listening - and I am not even mentioning all the Classical, Country, Rock , Comedy, Blues and Latin. Sometimes I will also find good Jazz, but this is more rare, fini usually has scooped this up already.

The Lord Saints Calypso Group - Come Sailing In

Amazing Grace, Pipes and Drums

The Blues, Pete Fountain

The Ink Spots, Volume 2

Intoxicating Pearl Bailey

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass (endless supply of these)

An Evening with Belafonte/Makeba

Jump Up Calypso, Harry Belafonte

In My Quiet Room, Harry Belafonte

Belafonte on Campus

The Golden Voice of Kate Smith

Leibert At Home, Hi-Fi Organ Solos by Dick Leibert

The Swingers Are Here, Mel Torme, Al Hibbler, Buddy Greco

Sounds From Brasilia

Beltran Plays Cha.Chas-Fred Astaire Dance Studio Favorites

The main thing is having something to do while you play these LPs because unlike the pictures on some LP covers, I am not sitting in the living room with my pipe, the wife and kids doing nothing but listening to the records. Sometimes I am outside watering the garden, with the big speakers, I can usually tell when to come back in to change the record...ok I exaggerate, mostly I am at the computer alienating people on various forums or selling this crap on eBay.

C&S

You're opening up a whole new area of record collecting, and may well be cornering the market there, Mr. Shorn! Still, before jumping full-force into this new market, I think I'll wait and see where Songer positions himself. Sure it's fun, but is it "cool?"

fini

fini,

Let me assure you it is "cool", but you have to understand the concept of "levels". I already have dug and still dig all those hip jazz records and all those hip latin records including rare ones from Cuba, this Pat Boone/Hugo Winterhalter thing is on a whole other level that you can only be hip to once you have already dug all the commonly defined "cool stuff". Just ask some of those working well adjusted successful Jazz artists like Buddy Collette or Quncy Jones or Paul Smith who understand "levels" and who fully understand the realms of beyond-beyond the put-on and who could buy all those original Blue Notes in Mint condition if they wanted. "Hey man...could I get some bread up front?"...... " You Hungrrry....you vant a sandvich?"

C&S

Mark,

I am preparing myself for the next time fini and I attend the local Petaluma Accordian Club meeting, also the Cotati Accordian Festival is coming up. Art Van Damme was a cool bebop accordianist whose records I have also found in thrift stores. This posting of LP covers could be a whole new fun game. I need to learn the html for having the pic appear in the post.

C&S

post-8419-13819247522688_thumb.jpg

"...on major labels (sometimes I make exception and go with obscure labels..."

=========

I love indies from the late 70's and early 80's. Here are some of my favs and I think I've seen most of them in clubs.

I also like 50's early rock and roll 45's and lps. I have a box of Texas indie early rock 45's...way cool.

Storage is an issue. I'm struggling to limit myself to 3,000 lps.

post-10144-13819247523368_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 6/2/2003 1:48:29 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

{fini, that last post of yours stung a bit, I may have to pour gasoline down your nest).

----------------

I thought it was to the point. Period.

A dot commentary.

fini