They're here!

MD1032

OK, they're all hoked up. Setting them up was a pain in the butt! I plugged them in and there's a red light on my control pad. When I press the mute button in, it's green. I'm not even going to run sound through them yet. I'm enjoying this moment a lot. The whole thing as I opened it screamed "QUALITY!!!" at me. These things are stylish and they look even better with the grilles removed. Right now I'm working on keeping my wires away from the back plate because you guys said they get HOT. I'm pretty sure all the wires are set up correctly and now I'm awaiting orders. I want info on PROPER care of these things, because I want them to last about 3 years. Man these things are cool and the control pod is neat. I love the headphones and line-in jack connectivity! When I get your orders, I'll fire them up. I know already to keep the volume low (for the first two weeks or so I have them), so I'll run some classical or something soft.

Dont worry so much just play them and have fun! ENJOY THEM!!!! You really dont have to keep them down the first 2 weeks breaking speakers in is not necessary. I mean you can if you want to but you really do not need to. Just dont turn them up as loud as they go for like a long long time but dont worry you wont blow the speakers if you turn them up a bit. Just have fun and enjoy those suckers Im sure your fall in love right away.

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! 9 TIMES OVER!!!! OMG THESE THINGS ARE UNBELIEVABLE!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Man, my Z-540's DREAM of being as good as these! I just flipped on the "Chips Ahoy" song and MAN these thing sound REAL!! They're simply unbelievable!! I feel like I'm RIGHT THERE!! Man, I'm going to have some serious fun with these things... THANKS A LOT EVERYONE for your advice!!! Now, time to play around!!!

----------------

On 5/31/2003 3:57:11 PM MD1032 wrote:

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! 9 TIMES OVER!!!! OMG THESE THINGS ARE UNBELIEVABLE!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!!

----------------

Ahh yes, my re-action when I first hooked up my set all thos 3 years ago 9.gif

Then when I hooked up my RF-7s.....11.gif9.gif12.gif

Yes, enjoy them. I think they are some really nice speakers, especially for the size and price.

----------------

On 5/31/2003 3:57:11 PM MD1032 wrote:

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! 9 TIMES OVER!!!! OMG THESE THINGS ARE UNBELIEVABLE!!!! UNBELIEVEABLE!!! Man, my Z-540's DREAM of being as good as these! I just flipped on the "Chips Ahoy" song and MAN these thing sound REAL!! They're simply unbelievable!! I feel like I'm RIGHT THERE!! Man, I'm going to have some serious fun with these things... THANKS A LOT EVERYONE for your advice!!! Now, time to play around!!!

----------------

Hey man, I am very glad you are enjoying your 4.1s.. I got them last August and I still love them like a girlfriend.

You should really try to pair up that awesome set of speakers with a nice soundcard if you haven't already, and you should try a few war games on them! (Omaha beach for Medal of Honor is pure insanity with the sound to half way!)

Have fun with those awesome things and take care of them! 9.gif

NVM. I figured it out. My sub is not positioned correctly. I'm sitting right in front of my monitor and the sub waves literally aren't reaching me. When I poke my head under my desk, I get BLASTED. Where should I put it? Here's my layout.

http://www.geocities.com/delldude9013/DSCF3998.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/delldude9013/Dscf3999.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/delldude9013/Dscf4000.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/delldude9013/Dscf4001.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/delldude9013/Dscf4003.jpg

Man, if you're in the sweet spot in my room, you can really hear the sub. And man, this thing hits lower than my earphones!! It's so low it's insane. And it's freaking accurate, too! Unbelievably crisp and boy can it crank otu volume! It doesn't even rattle on its stand like my 540 sub did! I've never heard anything like it before, the range and blend and balance is just undescribably compared to my old POS Z-540's.

edit: Windows are rattling, room is shaking. Oh yeah! 9.gif

Put your sub in the corner of the room, it'll sound 10 times better.

At first, my PM 4.1 sub was about 4 feet away from the corner, and I moved it 4 feet over to the corner and the thing sounded 10 times louder and deeper. Made a big difference for me!

The wires won't reach and besides...WHAT CORNER?! I think what I need to do is put it where my printer table currently is...CRAP! I'm just not hearing it. I know it's there because if I get down under my deak or basically move around the room BOOM there it is. I'm basically putting it in the WORST spot right now.

I'd venture to say that placing the subwoofer in the center of your room would be the worst position, but where you currently have it isn't that great either ;-)

If I were you, I'd swap where your bookcase and your computer desk are. That way you can put the sub in the corner underneath the window next to where the desk will be. That way, the wires will reach.

I'd experiment a bit with it, move it around until you find the best position.

Brian

I received mine on friday, but I haven't hooked them up yet. I'm moving into a new apt in august, so i haven't had a chance to test mine out yet. I also got htem from Circuit City :) 193 shipped :)

I'm currently waiting on my Extigy and my monster cables. Those should be arriving some time next week.

Hey, when you set these up, put your sub in a corner in your room. I put mine under my desk centered and couldn't even hear about 100 hz. or less--it was all trapped. I moved to the left side of my room and was amazed. BTW, this set will not dissappoint you. I'm still amazed and my best STUPID efforts to blow them out (mistakes I have made, in other words) have failed. They're LOUD is all I can say.

Shot of the old room:

Dscf4000.txt

Shot of the old sub placement (wires everywhere). I couldn't even hear the thing.

Dscf4001.txt

Shot of the master speaker when it was on the right. I love this pic.

Dscf4003.txt

A shot of the new room:

DSCF4004.txt

A shot of the new sub placement:

DSCF4005.txt

A shot of my desk (what a mess!) on which you can see:

--Monitor

--Sony MZ-S1 portable minidisc player/recorder (YAY for minidiscs!)

--KSC-50 earphones (double as portable and home--they're that good!)

--Case to my Visor Edge PDA

--Minidiscs containing various music

--Joystick (Satiek Rumble Force...I use it left-handed even though I'm a righty!)

--Office supplies (various crap)

--Logitech Cordless optical mouse

--SPEAKERS!!! Notice the control pod had to be moved to the left because the cord was too short. 14.gif

DSCF4006.txt

A closeup of the new sub placement. Look how much neater the wires are now...so much better! I even wrapped up the extra! I actually used the rear cords on the right-front and the right-rear and the front wires on the left-front and left-rear. Shouldn't make a difference, should it?

DSCF4007.txt

assuming your room is a square or at least a rectangle, you would get the loudest responce by placing the sub at a corner with solid walls and no furnitures in its vicinity(like that bookshelf..) then moving your desk to the crossing corner. you can really boost the db this way but it's not reasonable for most people considering you'd need to replace the cable with longer ones, seriously rearrange the furnitures or it simply isn't feasible like in my case. if you can't do this there's a trick I read in an article; place the sub where you'd be sitted, blast a consistant bass, and walk around the room until the bass is the loudest. (EDIT) oops forgot to add the obvious, place the sub in that loud spot (EDIT) they say it works "surprisingly well"... never tried it myself though.

Actually, it seems I've found the sweet spot in my room. The sub actually sounds the best where I'm sitting currently. In fact, I'm getting all of it and it's surprisingly not very directional and very evenly distributed. I like where it is now. Sounds FREAKING AWESOME BTW. I'm SO glad I moved the sub...the difference is like putting a fancy heat sink on your CPU.