Horn Distortion

William your troubleshooting skills shine once again !

Throw off those chains of prosperity and your lust for the respect of men and turn those God given talents to good use as a computer tech. 9.gif

AKA I am a computer tech and contrary to the trade school propaganda it don't pay worth schieze but I do love problem solving ! One day I nailed a particularly puzzling fault and let out a hoot. Suddenly the four support techs in the foyer leading to my shop yelled out in unison " Gotcha !! You little..... !!! " This was followed a general roar of laughter.

Those clowns had obviously gotten together and decided that the next time they heard a cry of victory from the catacombs that they would respond. That was funny enough but what really capped it all was that this communal hoot was immediately followed by the coordinator of support services-( A Welshman )- stepping out of his office with a puzzled and even slightly nervous expression on his face asking " What the Bloody'ell was that all about ?? 9.gif

Interesting story, Lynnm. I infer from your description that you're the Yoda of the establishment. Mildly tempermental, obscure, and the Master. Smile.

Just now, my path is to find a high paying job to support my hobby.

Gil

It appears that you may already been on the path to a solution.

I am not familiar with the K-57 mid driver. The problem you described is one that has appeared on this board many moons ago only it was a similiar problem with a K-55v mid driver. This was long ago and the Klipsch BB has been redesigned since then and most of the stuff in the archives was lost. All that good info gleaned from the early years on this board has been lost forever. What a shame.

Oh, back to the subject. The complaint was from someone who said their driver crackles like dust caught in a stylus on a phonograph, especially noticeable during piano passages. There were 2 solutions, both of them involved disassembling the driver.

The first solution was to dissassemble the driver and use cellophane tape to clean the gap where the coil of the diaphragm fits. Sometimes, iron dust created during a machining process during mfg of the driver disloges from the magnet and gets trapped in the gap. A riding condition is created as the coil on the diaphragm moves in the gap.

The second solution was to disassemble the driver and examine the lint "sound absorber" that is found in the back chamber. Sometimes, loose hairs come off the lint and start vibrating on the diaphragm. The soution is to remove the loose hairs and repack the lint in the back chamber. I have used this procedure myself to solve this problem.

Back in the good old days, Klipsch would swap a bad driver for free and you didn't have to worry. I'll bet that policy died when The Legend himself stopped running the company.

Well Johnnyp, you raise some ideas that have not been brought up until now. I have contemplated some foreign object being lodged in the horn but had not considered anything underneath the diaphragm itself. Intriguing.

>>quote:Oh, back to the subject. The complaint was from someone who said their driver crackles like dust caught in a stylus on a phonograph, especially noticeable during piano passages. There were 2 solutions, both of them involved disassembling the driver.<<

Is it just a coincidence that they used the same analogy as I did. Very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Alright. I replaced the diaphragm and things are like they should be. I took some 35mm pictures so we`ll see how they turned out once film is developed. That`s the beauty with 35mm. You have to wait for the results. Like a fine wine or...........anywho, they are coming. Also a funny story about the replacement. Scary too. Let`s wait and see how these pics turned out.