upgrading home theater speakers?

Mike T

I am thinking of upgrading from my old Heresys in the front to maybe the RF-5's or 7's and matching center. Would this upgrade knock me out of my chair? Has anyone else here upgrade from the Heresys to the Ref. series? And if so, how was the improvment? thanks for any help..

Mike T

You are currently using Heritage.... I would be VERY happy to have what you have. Heritage are great... The Reference towers might give you a bit more slam, but really, I would think that only the RF-7's could rival the output of those Heresy's, though the RF-5's would have equivalent output (about). RF-7's might take the slam up a notch if your amp is full range. I don't think the 'upgrade' (I consider it a downgrade, personally) would know you out of your chair. I believe in Heritage over all others. 1.gif

I can certainly attest to the benefits of an all Heritage HT. I certainly would keep the Heresy's, I would add three more and a subwoofer for 5.1. If you have the room Cornwall mains with a Heresy center and surrounds would be awesome. Of course you would have to buy the Corns used, you can still get the Heresy II's brand new. However, if you feel compelled to part with them in favor of the newer reference line this is the place to offer them for sale. Someone would take them off your hands fairly quickly I'm sure.

Thanks everyone for the replys. I am very happy to hear that the Heresys would stand up to those new BIG boys (RF7's). Maybe I should start looking for a couple more Heresys to buy for the rear's. What would be a good Center speaker that would sonicly match up good with the Heresys?

JM... I already have twin SVS subs for the Bass, and a Denon 5903 to drive everything...

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike...

From my signature, you can see that i agree with the others on a Heritage HT, but i just wanted to mention the the RF series, esp the RF7 will have quite a bit more bass extension than the Heresys... and i find this gives them a more full sound overall. I wouldn't quite see it as a downgrade, but the heritage line offers more potential. When i added the Cornwalls to my setup, i was impressed at the upgrade from the Heresy... 1.gif

There are few centers for the heresys... either an extra inversed Heresy, an Academy (Rare and overpriced on Ebay), or a custom unit using heritage parts.

Rob