What does my DIY subwoofer compare to? *Pics too*

fivelitermustang

Price to build it was:

(Canadian Prices)

SUB COSTS

Adire Tempest - $240 (after tax & shipping)

Adire AVA250 - $303 (after tax & shipping)

3/4" MDF - $25

#6 1 5/8" drywall screws - $2

Probond All-weather Exterior Wood Glue - $5

General Electric silicone caulk - $3

#10 1 5/8" machine bolts and T-nuts - $3

Two cans of Motomaster Truck Bedliner - $18

EQUIPMENT COSTS

Drill bits - $10

Two packs of sandpaper - $7

TOTAL COST = $616CAD or $450US

So this is my very first DIY project ever. First time I built sub a box too. So anyway the box is 2.8-2.9CF after sub displacement. It has a "window like" brace right in the middle on the inside. It is a sealed alignment. I didn't bother stuffing the box with anything. Sounds pretty good for the music I listen to (rap, hip-hop, jungle, techno and even rock).

I'm just wondering what kind of subs could compare to my current woofer in it's alignment?

I think I'm going to built a ported alignment with this subwoofer. About 5CF with 20Hz tuning. Do you think that would give me a huge gain in output over what I have now? This time I should be able to build the box in less than a couple of hours.

tempest1.jpg

tempest2.jpg

tempest3.jpg

nice job, I like it. the adire audio drivers are very nice. I would compare it to a klipsch RSW-12 or 15, however it's hard to say since you don't have any measurements. maybe you could provide us with some db read outs at 30 and 20 hz?

That is a rather high Q sealed allignment for the Tempest. It will have very little deep bass and not be anywhere near as defined as it could be. But it will work quite well for the type of music you are listening too.

5ft^3 is too small for a ported allignment with a Tempest. The smallest practical allignment I've seen is ~170L tune to below 20hz. I wouldn't go any smaller than the 214L Adire allignment with a vented sub. If you go for a 200L+ vented enclosure tuned to 20hz or lower you'll get a whole new experience with movies (a big low tuned Tempest is a great bottom dweller). You may not like what it does to your hip-hop bass (it will lose a lot of the punch), but the bass will be much cleaner, more defined and detailed.

Not sure what to compare an over 0.8Q sealed Tempest too.

I'm not sure what it would compare too either.

Like Dustin Said, 5ft^3 tuned to 20hz is small for a Tempest. I think something closer to 7ft^3 or larger would be better for a Tempest. You should see huge performance gains going from a sealed Tempest to a low tuned vented. In the 15-30hz area you'd see something like 7-9dB difference between the two and below that the vented would still have higher output but by not as large a margin. I'd equate a vented Tempest's output to some like the SVS CS Ultra.

By no means is my Tempest sub weak on the high end of the bass spectrum. I'm essentially upgrading from the Klipsch ProMedia v2.400 subwoofer so anything is better than that. It is suprisingly punchy and on point the whole time during fast segments of bass. The room I'm using it in is only like 13ft by 13ft so it definately has the power to shake the room but I'm not really hearing the REALLY LOW end.

I was expecting the segment in Saving Private Ryan where the tanks are rolling in to be more low and rumbly as I heard on my buddies system who is running twin Velodyne HGS18s.

Is there any way I can make a small sub that still has that earth-shaking 20Hz output? PRs, etc...

Different driver. The Tempest wasn't designed for small enclosures. It's purpose was great performance at a low cost, and the trade off made to meet that goal was enclosure size.

You might pull off a Styrke AV15 in 5ft^3 ported. The difficulty will be fitting sufficient porting. I'd want a 6" flared port and it will be tricky to get one long enough to tune to 20hz or lower in an enclosure that is only 5ft^3. You could also do a Styrke AV15 in 5ft^3 with a pair of 18" passive radiators. This would cost a fair bit more but would give your earth shaking output to below 20hz. It would be impressive in a 20'x30' room and scarry in a 13'x13' room.

A Stryke AV-12 works very well in small enclosures and it can displace as much as a Tempest, the only thing is it needs significantly more power to do so.

You could also do an isobaric design but that means you have to buy another Tempest and another amplifier. It'd probably be better to buy a better suited driver and one larger amplifier.

Is 5ft^3 the absolute max you can go?

I don't really have a size limit... I just don't want a huge clunky sub if I don't really need to. Personally I think sonosubs look stupid. I'd be willing to build a bigger box for the Tempest though if I could get that earth shattering output.

I also am thinking of maybe buying a Shiva and putting the Tempest in the car. What kind of box would make a Shiva do 20Hz output nicely with an AVA250 on it?

"I was expecting the segment in Saving Private Ryan where the tanks are rolling in to be more low and rumbly as I heard on my buddies system who is running twin Velodyne HGS18s."

Not a chance with the woofer you are using in the cabinet you have powered by the amp you have.

An HGS18 uses a much more potent driver designed for the cabinet size its fitted in and powered by a much more powerful amp.Even sealed the HGS18 is capable of subsonic tremors

To get a slice of the HGS18 deep bass prowess you need a larger cabinet

----------------

On 6/1/2003 7:54:50 PM fivelitermustang wrote:

I don't really have a size limit... I just don't want a huge clunky sub if I don't really need to.

----------------

I'd go for Dustin's first recommendation... the "Adire Alignement" ... it's a nice compromise between low frequency extension and SPL and your 250W amp will do well with that. Like you said, it'll take you a fraction of the time building it this time around

And once you're done, bring it to your friends for a shootout It won't beat a pair of HGS18s but I'd be proud getting anywhere close to a single HGS18 for only 615$cnd. 16.gif

Rob