Those of you with Scotts

garymd

I also have multichannel with my sony da5es but it sounds pretty bad for 2 channel listening compared to the scott or my old kenwood. If I got an SACD player I would have to use it with my HT setup or figure out how to add my scott into the HT to at least drive the fronts (cornwalls which are used for both ht & 2 channel). I'm not sure I know exactly how to do that.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a Sony SACD/CD player connected to the Scott 222c and a MMF5 TT connected as well.

I use all three formats and probably will be using DVD-A as part of my HT so DVD-A will be my only multi-channel format although I could switch the CD/SACD over to the HT setup.

Many of the DVD-A multi-channel mixes seem like a gimac (I don't like the following (Doors & Dead). I do like the ELP mix. In SACD I like the multi-channel Floyd DSOTM but I'm tired of hearing that album. The Diana Krall is multi-channel but I don't miss it. The 2-channel is wonderful. Most of my SACDs are just 2-channel.

I do love the SACDs and will choose them over CD where possible but the price and selection is horrible at the moment. I did get some Stones SACDs for $9.99 at circuit city and can find them used for less. I have a real hard time paying closer to $20.

I like vinyl and for selection, memorabilia, price, and sound it's hard to beat.

I love the user direct access, jukeboxing, remote and other ease of use features of CD...not to mention less cleaning.

Thanks all for your thoughts on sacd. I completely agree that the selection and prices SUCK. TowerRecords.com has something like 400 listed and amazon.com even less!

My comparison to vinyl was only in terms of sound quality. I've been one of the "uneducated masses" who thought cd was the ultimate answer (it's digital after all) . Now I hear sacd and realize how lame cd really is. I can't stand cd after hearing sacd. The sound is just too edgy for my ears and I get tired quickly.

Somehow I thought that I was just losing interest in music over these last ten years as I'm getting older. But now I'm convinced that the sound quality of cd's is what really drove me to stop buying and listening. One could take that argument a step further to explain why all music sales (cd's) have been on the decline over the last several years. And also why muddy-sounding, innefficient home theater systems caught on - hide that detail!

Okay, grand paranoia aside, the reason I posted in this thread was to get a sense if there is a equal "sonic flaw" with solid state components. If I plug in a tube-driven Scott will the improvement be as dramatic as it was going from cd to sacd?

Craig.

Congrats on getting your 299b in the house. I've got one of NOSValves 299b rebuilds, and it's also my first experience in tubes. My wife loves the sound, too. It is sweet.

I'm definitely still finding my away around. Just this week Craig Otsby was doing some handholding for me via e-mail! 9.gif

Regards,

Dee

Hey Craig, I know you're jealous of Dale's chromed end bells! And you don't want to take yours out of action. I've got 4 extra here that you are more than welcome to have. You could send them out to get chromed, get them back, install them and then send in 4 more. What do you think? Randy

post-11998-13819247604122_thumb.jpg

----------------

I can't stand cd after hearing sacd. The sound is just too edgy for my ears and I get tired quickly.

----------------

You may want to try an external DAC.

The Perpetual Technologies DAC and interpoliation engine was designed to address these issues and they are much cheaper on audiogon than new. You can upgrade them towards their future product, too.

I will be hearing the PT Gear at the Onix, PT, MBL showcase in Dallas at the end of the month.

Craig - So far I've got about 10 hours on the amp and about 4 hours sleep. LOL I'm assuming at some point that will about even out. I have to work at home tomorrow to intercept UPS delivery of my Shure (my wife works at home). Wish me luck that she's in the basement when the truck arrives or this whole thing could unravel on me. It's like trying to hide an affair.

What tools do I need to replace a cartridge? I haven't changed one in 20+ years but I don't remember it being that hard. Just a small screwdriver and some needlenose pliers to change connections, right? If not let me know ASAP please. I don't want to screw this up. Thanks.

Gary,

The Cartridge has to be Alligned and weighted properly the weighting is fairly easy to get close but the allignment takes a special Portractor to allign it properly the old eyes won't do a proper job for the best sound not to mention LP wear.

Craig

It's always something! I successfully intercepted the UPS guy and now have my new cartridge. Now I must buy a protractor to set it up? Can't I use my daughter's from her geometry class? LOL Is this something I can do or should I take it to my local shop and pay even more $$$ for this hobby of mine?7.gif

Gary,

I wish I knew where I once found a link to a printable stylus protractor on the web ! I have a paper one maybe I can scan it and print it and see if it comes out the same size it just has 2 points that you line the stylus with to verify the proper allignment.

Craig