K-33-V

Malcolm

This looks all wrong to me. For a lot of reasons. Perhaps the seller is just parroting something he was told, so I can't speak to his good faith.

I have some EVM15L which are cast baskets.

The magnet structure looks like them (EVM). The vent hole looks like them. The typeface looks like them. So it could be an EV product.

I had a square magnet K-33, which didn't look like the EVM or the picture.

Did you ever read the novels by Trevanian about the art critic Johathan Hemlock? Later a Clint E. movie, The Eiger Sanction? He could pick out counterfeit art. I wish I could be so cool. My fantesy.

Anyway, there is a lot wrong with the picture.

The EV has a grid in the vent but it is well recessed. Look at the picture. It looks like there was computer work to place the PWK symbol over the vent. That can't be done, in the real world. Any physcial structure to support the printing would block ventalation.

The text says the basket is casted. But in the picture, it looks like pressed steel. Also, you can't pass through the terminals like shown in a cast basket. Rather in the EV's with a cast basket the terminals are mounted outboard. So it is probably an EV with a pressed steel basket.

The most disturbing part is the imposition of the PWK trademark. It sets off alarm bells that this is not a simple mistake, but rather an intentional misrepresentation.

I'd stay away unless you really want them.

Gil

The eBay seller has a complete set of 1972 Klipsch Cornwall parts for sale.

The cones on the EV woofers have been cleaned with some kind of solvent, those are the original surrounds.

One of the Atlas K55Vs has an Oct '72 date code, so I guess the woofers are of the same vintage.

The tweeters have been replaced with the newer ceramic types. They have April '96 date codes.

Klipsch went to thinner castings on the horns during this time period. Drop testing showed the screws would pull out and splinter the front baffle before the horn flange would break.

• Klipsch Employees

Gill,

I have the same problem...lol.

Jim does not remember a 33 "V" .

The V has always meant, "made by Atlas"

He had looked at the woofers on Ebay before I ask about them. They could be Jensen, but not sure.

The 1972 Cornwall used a P, J woofer. I looked at the logbooks and there was not another Letter used in 72.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 6/5/2003 12:32:09 AM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

The text says the basket is casted.

The basket is cast, it is the same basic designed basket as the EV 15W or 15W-K.

It is not a stamped sheet metal basket.

Also, you can't pass through the terminals like shown in a cast basket.

Yes you can, EV did it for years. The frames were drilled.

The most disturbing part is the imposition of the PWK trademark. It sets off alarm bells that this is not a simple mistake, but rather an intentional misrepresentation.

If this is a computer fake, its a good one. The badge has S/N which looks to be 1628 OR 1618. PWK used cast basket drivers ocassionally, I've seen a few Cornwalls with them. The "33" on the badge looks a little funny but that could be the camera

or lighting. The folks at Klipsch would need to trace the S/N of the driver.

I'd stay away unless you really want them.

Not sure.

k33v.jpg
----------------