Help!...Will an S-Video connection provide a better VCR picture with standard VHS?

jdm56

I'm needing to replace an old VCR before I transfer some precious home movies to DVD. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to get one with an S-Video output, even though the tapes are not S-VHS? Are S-Video and Super-VHS even related?

Enquiring non-videophiles needs to know!

THANKS,

I would say - yes! The S-video cable seperates the chroma and luminence yielding a better quality picture. I have a JVC S-VHS player and even when viewing standard VHS tapes I do notice some increase in picture quality.

I know it's crazy how cheap they are anymore. Not built as solid anymore though. I bought my first DVD player about 4 - 5 years ago for like $400 and let me tell you, that thing is a tank. Most new cheap ones have a short life span, but my old Panasonic is still going strong. The S-vid on it looks better than componant from many new cheaper ones. I just recently replaced it because I wanted one that played SACD and burned discs.

Yeah, the cheapo DVD players are really frustrating in that aspect - the video quality from output to output (composite, S, component) is barely discernable, no matter what quality video cables you use.

Hell, I can't even see the difference between component and composite on my flat screen with my Sony DVD/SACD player. Granted, it's a small tube, but still - there should be some difference in the color rendering, but alas, none.

----------------

On 6/7/2003 12:41:14 AM James D McCall wrote:

I'm needing to replace an old VCR before I transfer some precious home movies to DVD. So I'm wondering if it's worth it to get one with an S-Video output, even though the tapes are not S-VHS? Are S-Video and Super-VHS even related?

Enquiring non-videophiles needs to know!

THANKS,
----------------

The quality of your picture over an S-video connection is dependant almost entirely on the quality of the comb-filter used to separate the Y and C signals, and that's done either at the source (VCR) or destination (TV)--so you really have to look at your gear first. In our case, the Panasonic plasma we're using for the display has a FAR superior comb filter to our JVC S-VHS VCR so we run composite from the VCR to the Plasma even though we still record stuff on S-VHS tapes. In most cases, your TV (if it's a relatively new one) should have a superior comb-filter to just about any S-VHS VCR out there, probably a 3D adaptive filter. So, unless you buy a VCR with a superior comb filter to the DVD-recorder or TV you're using (not likely), you will probably notice a better picture using the composite connection anyway (so you can save yourself a few bucks on the S-VHS version of the VCR). Just my $.02

- J.T.

----------------

On 6/7/2003 10:36:57 PM Griffinator wrote:

Yeah, the cheapo DVD players are really frustrating in that aspect - the video quality from output to output (composite, S, component) is barely discernable, no matter what quality video cables you use.

----------------

Funny.... I can't say enough good things about my cheapo Apex DVD player that I bought for camping. Paid $49 at circuit city, it feels like it is ready to fall apart in your hand. However, it has been to the lake at least 20 times, sits outside in the sun & dust all day, & still works for some reason. When packing it, if it gets turned face down, the tray even slides open. I now put a rubber band around it to keep it in.

As for the output difference, I run the rca output to a RF converter & then to an old Wards 13" color TV, so I cant really make a good comment here, except that it looks good on the 13" 1.gif

J.T.,

Thanks for the info - very helpful!

I'll be running the S-video out from the JVC VCR to my Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver, then S-Vid. out from there to my Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder. Video from the receiver is sent to my eight-year-old 46" Magnavox TV. I may try a direct connect between VCR and DVD-R for dubbing purposes. That might provide a bit better picture just by by-passing the receiver, ya think?

----------------

On 6/9/2003 1:22:56 AM James D McCall wrote:

J.T.,

Thanks for the info - very helpful!

I'll be running the S-video out from the JVC VCR to my Panasonic SA-HE200 receiver, then S-Vid. out from there to my Panasonic DMR-E30 DVD recorder. Video from the receiver is sent to my eight-year-old 46" Magnavox TV. I may try a direct connect between VCR and DVD-R for dubbing purposes. That might provide a bit better picture just by by-passing the receiver, ya think? ----------------

Just a note on the above configuration. I was recently posting on the AVS forum looking for suggestions on how to make some GOOD quality dubs of my LD collection onto DVD by way of a computer capture card and DVD-R drive. Since my LD player has a rather lackluster comb-filter of its own (making S-video output look a bit washed out and noisy); I was looking for a good "comb-filter" component to go between the LD player and the PC capture card to help ensure I got the best picture possible onto the DVD-R. To my surprise, a number of people suggested I forego the capture card/PC route entirely and try a Panny DVD recorder. Someone even specifically mentioned the E30 deck as having a very good comb filter with decent noise reduction capabilities. Ergo...you might try going composite from the VCR to the DVD recorder (either directly, or via the receiver) just to see if you like the results better (once you use the S-video connection from your VCR, you by-pass the comb-filter of whatever component the signal feeds into). My guess is that the comb-filter in the DVD recorder is going to be of markedly better quality than that of the VCR's given my experience with three different JVC S-VHS VCRs over the past 5 years. Again, your eyes will know better than mine how your own gear performs, but I'd hate for you to lose a bit in PQ if you could otherwise help it.

Good luck!

- J.T.

JT,

Thanks again! I'll be sure and try different connection options before burning to DVD-R.

The Panasonic DVD recorders seem to be a real good value. Especially if you shop price a bit. I got mine from J&R for $400., with no tax and no shipping and handling charge. Not bad! 16.gif

----------------

On 6/8/2003 11:53:44 PM cyclonecj wrote:

Funny.... I can't say enough good things about my cheapo Apex DVD player that I bought for camping. Paid $49 at circuit city, it feels like it is ready to fall apart in your hand. However, it has been to the lake at least 20 times, sits outside in the sun & dust all day, & still works for some reason. When packing it, if it gets turned face down, the tray even slides open. I now put a rubber band around it to keep it in.

As for the output difference, I run the rca output to a RF converter & then to an old Wards 13" color TV, so I cant really make a good comment here, except that it looks good on the 13"
1.gif

----------------

Shoot. That's exactly what I tell my customers - if you've gotta use an RF modulator, and you don't have an HT to hook up to it, then by all means, buy the cheap bastard. You won't see or hear any difference. Mintek? Sure. Apex? Why not? 9.gif

I know, bad high-end seller, bad!

----------------

On 6/10/2003 4:41:31 AM Griffinator wrote:

I know, bad high-end seller, bad!

----------------

Not at all! .... It's more important to be an honest seller & give the customer what he/she really needs. I say this because I have hooked the Apex to my home system to try the CD audio playback (it does HDCD). It sounded horrible, almost the same as an MP3 encoded at 128. Picture quality was very watchable, but still not even close to my Onkyo.

But after a long day of waterskiing, it sure is great to sit in a nice chair & watch a good movie on the shore! 1.gif