in need of a high end SACD/CD player

prodj101

well, I have decided I'm going to get a good SACD player for my dedicated listening 2 channel system so my sony SACD/DVD player can go back into the home theatre where it belongs, and the onkyo (currently in the HT) can go to the cabin to replace the samsung (which really isn't cutting it). so, I need to choose something now. I'm looking at the $1,000-2,500 dollar range, so there is a fair amount of things to choose from. It HAS to be an SACD player, since I'm starting to have a decent size collection (about 20?). Whatever it is, I would like it to be considerably better than my sony NSV-9000 ($1,000 SACD/DVD player) so what players are there in this range that would compete? I really like the looks of the Shanling tube SACD player, but that iso nly looks, I've never actually heard one. thanks in advance.

actually, I'm in 10th grade now, and no, my parents aren't paying for it, but I can see where you'd be coming from since thats what you're used to. I work for my dads company in the summers (washing company uniforms and semi trucks). this is how I've gotten all of my system components so far. maybe if you would have read previous posts you would have known that...

sorry....

since i have a somewhat life..... (less than 2000 posts) ...i haven't had a chance to read all of your posts

good luck on your quest....

i personally have to suffer with my sony dvp-nc650vp dvd/sacd changer...can't afford high end stuff.... you know... mortgage...car payments... child support... loans... insurance...

wait...you don't know about those things.... sorry... you will soon enough!!!

prodj,

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?dgtlplay&1060270577

This one could probably not be beat. The 777es was a stereo only unit, not to be confused with the XA version which was multichannel. This one also has been expensively modded.

If you don't want this, I would recommend buying the brand new Sony, once it comes out in the Fall, and even though it is multi channel just using it in stereo if that is your preference. Retail $3000, but you'd be able to get it for less than that.

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/140419.html

paulparrot, I checked out the XA777ES (I think thats the right model number) and the cheapest it is online is about 1900. I have also used this player before at a store, and it was built like a tank. I really liked it. thanks for the idea. I had kind of forgotten of the sony line of players.

I have a Sony SCD-777ES. Bought it used and it is very nice. 2 Ch only. I have just about given up my CEC/MSD upsampling DAC combo for CD playback. About a week back, the Sony quit reading CD's. Sony said send it back to LA and they would fix it. I took the top off (easy) and brushed off the lens. Back to working order. Hard to beat at the price ($1500).

Jim N

I'll make my recommendations never the less.... You have several options, but they are somewhat limited. Most current models have moved into the realm of multichannel (MCH) and universal players (i'll ignore the universal players, since you want high end). Getting a only 2-channel model, will basically require you to go used. There are several options, Sony SCD-1, Sony SCD-777ES, Marantz SA-14, and the Shanling SACD. However, the SCD-1 & SA-14 are first generation players and have had Table of Contents (TOC) reading problems, so you would have to be VERY carefl getting either of these used. Frankly, I'm a fan of the Marantz SA-14, it was discontinued quite some time ago, but they have released a SA-14 Version 2 in Japan and I'm hoping it gets released here in the US. The Shanling SACD has some software problems, which have been noted by several reviewers & owners, I would stay away from it. For the MCH versions, the better models are the Sony SCD-XA777ES, Sony SCD-555ES, Marantz SA-17, and Marantz SA-8260. I just looked at the Sony XA777ES this weekend, its a NICE heavy unit, good features, with dedicated stereo outputs and separate MCH outputs. Sony recently announced the SCD-XA9000ES which will replace the XA777ES this fall. Most notably it is silver and has a DIGITAL firewire output for the Sony 9000 series receivers and should start msrp around $3000 USD. The 555ES is a good model, but I know little about it. The Marantz SA-17ES is currently not available in the US, but hopefully soon. The Marantz SA-8260 is a solid performer for $1000, the only gripe I have with the player is that there is no method to default the player to the Stereo tracks when playing MCH SACDs, it also has no base management or time alignment.

For my $$$, you essentially have 3 options, the Marantz SA-8260, Sony 555ES or XA777ES. When the XA9000ES comes out, you should be able to pickup a XA777ES for much less then its current $2000 price tag. I'm starting to lean toward the XA777ES or XA9000ES for my system, but it really depends on the prices of each unit.

-Dave

A poster over at AudioAsylum says at the Home Entertainment show in San Fran that he just saw a new Music Hall SACD player. He thinks retail will be $1499. He says: "It's strictly a two-channel unit. CDs are upsampled to 96/24."

I used the SCD-1 from sony today. great player, though I wouldn't buy it just because of the TOC problems. it took about 45 seconds to load a cd, compared to the 10 or less it should take, especially at 5 grand! does the 777ES have that problem?

Did you time the loading on the SCD-1? Because I read elsewhere it takes around 30 seconds. Either way, it is a long time. The 777ES is also supposed to be very slow, but the XA multi channel model takes around 6 seconds.

Mr. Parrot is correct, the XA777ES takes little time to read the TOC. I played two SACDs in it last weekend, it took less then 10 seconds to read the TOC. However, once it read the TOC, it scrolls the name of the disc across the screen and during which time it didn't seem to respond to button pushes. I'm not sure if it starts to play immediately or only after the scrolling of the name because both of my SACDs are quite for the first 10-20 seconds. I was concerned about the TOC read time too...but it seem to take just as long as my Denon DVD player does to load normal CDs.

As for the Phillips player that people mentioned, the SACD1000. I have head of two potential issues, first the SACD1000 does not have digital output for Redbook CDs, so you will not be able to use an external DAC for Redbood CDs. Second, most phillips transports are noisy, so you might hear "tik-tik-tik" during playback. Which I would find VERY annoying!

-Dave