Thrift Shop find...I could not resist!

fini

Have you guys heard of the SOQ +-db?

I have empathy for the situation of a sometimes unsympathetic soul mate and I can feel the pain ( oh, that's the busted up right leg ).

What works sometimes with components is bringing them in one at a time and mixing them with the other stuff. If you move some of the other stuff around at the same time, it works even better.

However, when you bring a pair of black LaScalas home and pop them in the tv room, you're kind of out there on your own.

I have a pet name for this reaction. I call it the SOQ +-db.

This is the Significant Other Quotient measured in plus or negative decibels.

When I brought home a new double door fridge for a great price, the SOQ was +4 db. When I brought the LaScalas home, the SOQ was and still is -6 db.

Just from the posts on the board, it is very apparent that the pursuit of high end audio sound is a male oriented activity.

I don't drink a whole lot, don't gamble except for the odd Lottery ticket, don't run around, and don't smoke.

Basically, I consider heritage audio equipment an investment that one can enjoy and appreciate ( audibly as well as financially over time ).

And more power to those who find yard sale, pawn and thrift shop finds and appreciate the benefits of an excellent bargain.

So enjoy. Hamish1.gif

----------------

On 6/15/2003 5:51:09 AM Myhamish wrote:

Have you guys heard of the SOQ +-db?

----------------

That's pretty good. We call it the WAF (wife acceptance factor) but have never attached +-db. Not a bad idea though. If I came home with black lascalas, the SOQ would be off the charts!

----------------

On 6/14/2003 7:03:02 PM Strabo wrote:

----------------

On 6/13/2003 5:19:15 PM m00n wrote:

Oh... for us it wasn't the money, it was the looks. She was bitterly apposed to the tube gear. Didn't matter what I put in front of her rather it was a scott, fisher, exposed or non exposed tubes. She hated the looks. She even told me if I brought one home she would throw it out in the street. It was at that point I knew I was fighting a loosing battle, licked my wounds, rubbed the lumps on my head and moved on.
----------------

My wife hasn't threatened throwing them out, but I know what your talking about. Whenever I show my wife a possible tube amp her response is "That looks like some high school science project. Your kidding, right?"

So, unfortunately I'm staying with solid state for a while.

----------------

Strabo - The WAF on the 299 with a wood case is very high. My wife prefers it over my old 70lb kenwood SS.

Don't take this wrong...as it is NOT an advertisement, BUT...here are some of the comments made by a recent purchaser of a pair of my oak LaScala replacement cabinets...keep in mind that these were pre-finished inside the bass bins, but that the outside surfaces were all finish sanded and ready for finish application...AND that they were a pair of the PROTOTYPES...and NOT originally for sale...here ya go:

1st email sent right after he arrived home with them: "We haven't met, but I wanted to let you know that your replacement cabinets look absolutely awesome. We're talking heirloom quality here. I'm honored to have these in my house."

2nd email sent after he applied finish to outside of them and installed components from his birch factory LaScalas, including a pair of ALK crossovers: "Just wanted to drop you a note to share a word of appreciation for the excellence in craftsmanship on your LaScala replacement cabs. The grain-matching and solid (mitered) joints are just great! That was a great idea to finish the doghouses and interior sides of the bass-bins. That would be very tough to get to. Also driver (mounting pilot) holes pre-drilled and (T) nuts pre-installed for the woofers in the bass bins made things go super smooth. Was able to get minwax for an exact match to your stain, and do they ever look awesome! Also got ALK crossovers, and they sound so sweet! Talk about WAF!! My wife had tolerated my unfinished birch cabs, because she is a great gal, but she absolutely LOVES your oak cabs!

When I get a chance to get a digital camera, I'd like to post some pics on the Klipsch forum"

Soooo...there IS a way to get WAF approval for SOME heritage speakers...LOL! Due to the fact that all the pics I had taken with a friend's digital camera of the construction process and the final product got DELETED over the Christmas holidays (before I could download them!!!), leaving me with no pics to share here, I am hoping this satisfied guy and his wife will post some pics of the ones they got sometime soon!

I'm sure they look great Andy. One pair of large heritage in my house is all my wife is able to tolerate however. I think they are all beautiful (I stay away from black in a large speaker though - I like wood). If I were single I'd have khorns in at least 3 rooms. Please ask them to post pictures of the Lascalas. I'd love to see them.1.gif