refinishing cornwalls

Deedo

I began refinishing an old pair of '80 CBR's and found fake wood veneer, glued over wood-grain cabinet vinyl, over a really bad laquer job. It's like an archeological dig here. Were these ever sold unfinished?

If I decide to get these great speakers back to original finish, what do I need to do? Any ideas would be helpful.

Deedo,

Just my feelings,

but reading all the great comments on Conwalls, you might look into taking them to a refinisher-unless you want to do it yourself....,to get the final product to look really good........good luck, and please post pictures, when you get done....

----------------

On 6/14/2003 1:53:48 PM Bill H. wrote:

Deedo,

Just my feelings,

but reading all the great comments on Conwalls, you might look into taking them to a refinisher-unless you want to do it yourself....,to get the final product to look really good........good luck, and please post pictures, when you get done....

----------------

I agree. They will definitely have to be sanded once you get to the original layer of birch veneer which sounds like quite a task itself. It is a thin layer so you must be extra careful not to oversand. Unless you are gifted in this area, I would recommend a professional job based on your description. Good luck.

Ironically i had a set of Heresys which had suffered a similar faith (laminate over bad paint)... So I thought I'd share a couple of pointers:

1- CAREFULLY remove the laminate as the veneer may be better glued to it than the sub-surface (see picture following removal)

IMG_0871-web.jpg

2- Before sanding the box, I recommend a chemical stripper... it will not thin the veneer, it'll removed most paint and stain, and it doesn't raise the wood grain. You will notice that contact cement is much harder to remove than the actual paint... but go at it slowly, and it'll come off

3- Once you have stripped the box the best you can, it'll still have stain or paint in the grain. Lightly sand it down... I like orbital sanders... not too rough.

Now you'll be ready to refinish. I'll try to post up some more pictures when I have a chance...

Later...

Rob

post-11489-13819248045616_thumb.jpg

These bad refinishing jobs remind me of things my grandfather did to furniture. I had to love him anyway, in spite of the work he did. He often put very, very thick coats of varnish on furniture, whatever he was working on. It would run, wrinke and look bad. It got worse as he got older and couldn't see as well. He worked on an old, very cheap violin someone in the family had gotten. There was a crack in the top that he put wood filler in. It wasn't worth much to begin with, but after that was only good for hanging on the wall.

Marvel

• 1 year later...

Those are finished, and turned out pretty nice given what I started with. I got a pair of Alnico woofers... so these are fully shielded for centre channel use.

I think I posted some other pics at some point (as it's an older thread)... but here is another. The lighting was a little different, but the real colour is somewhere in-between the two pics.

IMG_1223-web2.jpg

I have since then also built a matching heritage style subwoofer...

Rob

post-11489-13819248046556_thumb.jpg

nice save on the cabinets, although I can't get used to the red woofer surrounds. If the specs aren't too far off, I understand your consideration of using 'shielded' woofers. Although if you'd like to get back to the originals, you can get what are called 'bucking' magnets from Klipsch that essentially cancel out the excess magnetic flux (ok techies, I got the lingo wrong here), anyway, then you can have the original Klipsch sound and still put cabinets close to TV monitor without affecting the picture.

----------------

On 9/2/2004 5:55:46 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

anyway, then you can have the original Klipsch sound and still put cabinets close to TV monitor without affecting the picture.

----------------

They are actually re-coned Klipsch K-22 alnico woofers. I believe the recone kits are available in both colours... but there seems to be quite a few red/orange ones around. I bought them like that from a fellow forum member.

BTW, these 1975 Heresys sound the same as my original 1978s... very little bass 2.gif

Rob

..."They are actually re-coned Klipsch K-22 alnico woofers. I believe the recone kits are available in both colours... but there seems to be quite a few red/orange ones around. I bought them like that from a fellow forum member"../.

In that case, VERY COOL! If they're truly original recone kits, why not funk em up a little. Brilliant refinishing job btw, and you started with a pretty rough pair!