Multi use DVD whats a buyer to do?

Foxman

I am considering a new DVD player. I currently have a 32" tube but in the furture will upgrade to a wide screen probably rear projected HDTV. I mention that because picture quality is somewhat of a concern. I am also hoping to be able to find a quality unit that incorporates the DVDA and SACD capability. I have heard the Pioneer doesnt have the best picture and in particular the 45A doesnt have a strong SACD. I saw the 47ai today and it is a little pricey @ $840.00 but again I have heard the Pioneer's arent the best picture quality. So, whats a buyer to do. I know there are some coming, but I am not sure what, when, How good and or how much I can expect from these new ones. Any suggestions other than buying two units would be appreciated. I am not 100% against two...but the WAF (wife approval factor) goes way down on buying two additional boxes even if the total amount spent is the same as one that does it all. So, thats the delimma...please help.

I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago. I ended up buying a sony. It doesn't do dvd-a, but all of the dvd-a I have also have dts. It does sacd which is what I wanted. I think if you want a dual duty player you need to spend 1k. I spent 180.00 and am living with out dvd-a. I will just wait a couple of more years.

i went through this exact dilemma just a few weeks ago. and after having most of the mentioned machines in house, i found that the yammy and the denon to be almost identical, and both were superior to all of the others, audio and video just speak for them selfs, the chroma bug in the pioneers is still present, plus they had diagonal lines, great sound however, sonys build and sound were not good, phillips was good, but quality? you can tell when you pick up the yammy, and denon that they are quite a bit sounder build wise, weight equals larger transformers motors.... longevity, the denon has vibration protection built in, plus it is whisper quiet operation, and by comparison especially for what you get 1000 isnt all that much, and if you haggle you can pick up 1 of these babies for under 900, just see if you can bring home a machine or 2 for an overnight audition12.gif

marksdad:

I see you also ended up with the Denon. That certainly seems to be the popular choice. I have one cornered for a nice discount...supposedly new in the box for $700.00...I am on the trail fellas I will let you know.

Hi Guys,

How are those Denons (2900's) with Redbook playback? You Guys Ever do any Sony Es, Cambridge Audio, Philips 963 & Rega Planet type comparisions for redbook with your Denons? I would like all the details if you have the time........

There's still some Denon 1600's avalible at under $500.00 (pretty solid unit per reviews. Pregressive Scan\No Chroma Bug, DVD-A) what are you guys thoughts on this Player?

Since the Wife just bought a new JVC 56" HDTV WS Unit. I may be in the market for a good Progressive (well rounded) dvd player as well.

Thanks,

Jalen

cd play on the 2900 is really really good, but because of having sacd, dvd-a i am seriously considering giving up purchasing any more cd, the difference between formats is very large, and now that i am part of the cornerhorn club, i see that i need great source material12.gif