What type of cartridge would be GROOVY for vinyl??

Sayles

I have a cheap turntable I would like to update. I certainly can't swing a top of the line set, but maybe around $200 for a turntable and cartridge. Is that reasonable for connecting to tubes and Forte's or should I expect to pay more. Any suggestions? Thanks!!!!6.gif

What type of turntable do you have? If $200 is your limit it might be better to get a better cartridge for your current table. I use a Shure M97xE on mine. They are available online for $100 each with a spare stylus. It is an excellent cartridge for the money.

Regards,

Greg

Thanks Greg. I have a real el-cheapo turntable with a needle type thus the need for a turntable as well. I guess a good idea would be to scroll through what others may be using and then price same. Lots of turntables out there for D.J. purposes. These are probably made to put your finger on and jog back and forth!!! I tried that once with Led Zeppelin and it didn't do a thing for me!! Besides we already encoded all the sublimital messages by playing the Beatles backwards in the 60's!! I just want something that goes 33 1/3 in ONE direction!!! (Insert big smile here)

In your price range I would look around for a Denon DP-45 or better. It looks like they go around $150 with a cart.

I have had a DP-47F for many years & love it. Its no where near some of the high-end TT that some have here, but its a great deal.

Edit: Just looked at The Sound Well. Its a small used shop near me in Berkeley CA. They have a few good deals in there, & are good people to deal with.

thesoundwell

Most of the guys here have TT that cost $500 and up. Your best bet would be to find a used one in good condition and put a new cart on it. Some swear by the music hall TT, but some have had quality issues with them as well.

I use a Technics SL1210 which is a DJ TT, and no I don't scratch 1.gif

I like it alot, I'm sure this will start a belt-drive vs direct-drive debate. Does the Technics sound good? Yes it does. Are there better TT's out there? Yes, but not in my price range.

I push the button, it spins and plays music, it's not fussy, it does not skip, plays warped records well, and I think it sounds great.

I am sure that others will chime in with their recommendations for good used ones in your price range, just watch out for ebay, you may get a nice one and if the seller doesn't pack well, you may may end up with a box of pieces. I was afraid of that so I bought mine.

Regards,

Greg

I also use an inexpensive TT (Technics SL1800 circa 1979ish) but use an expensive cartridge (Shure V15Vxmr - retails for $400 but you can get it for $200). Sounds great to me and I listen to a lot of vinyl. I'm sure the $1k TTs probably sound better but I'm happy with the sound I get.

Sayles,

I have a pretty nice Dual 504 TT I could sell you for $120 shipped without a cartridge and you could buy the Shure M97E which is a nice Cartridge for the money from http://www.jacksmusicfactory.com/ and have it sent here and I will mount it and set it up for you before shipment ! I have all the tools needed to allign and set it up. Or $140 with a descent older shure cartridge with new stylus I have here.

Craig

PS: Your amp is next on the bench will start to check it out later today !

----------------

On 6/19/2003 12:26:38 PM NOSValves wrote:

Sayles,

I have a pretty nice Dual 504 TT I could sell you for $120 shipped without a cartridge abd you could buy the Shure M97E which is a nice Cartridge for the money from
and have it sent here and I will mount it and set it up for you before shipment ! I have all the tools needed to allign and set it up. Or $140 with a descent older shure cartridge with new stylus I have here.

Craig

PS: Your amp is next on the bench will start to check it out later today !

----------------

Sayles,

Take him up on his offer! You can always upgrade later if you want but Craig wouldn't steer you wrong. Probably the best you'll do for the money you have to spend.