Klipsch Professional Subwoofer on ebay

Billabong1083

Most theater subs arn't made to do anything under 25hz though, because most bass is in the 30-60hz area. Besides 130db can create huge shake factors, you don't need 15hz too do that. I'm not saying I don't agree with you however.

Besides if you think about it even if it was down -10db at 20hz, it will still be doing 105-115db at 20hz, if i'm correct.

"Oh ok...not inpressed.Its a pro direct radiating bass bin,not a real subwoofer.It is not capable of a true 20Hz with power.Period

Any SVS Plus series sub will outgun this fridge down very low."

Maybe so.....but that does not mean that this could not be a viable sub for an HT. Ear is correct that these cabinets do miss bass below 25 hz, but above 25 hz>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>KILLER.

However, in order to get the most out of the unit, you will want some sort of parametric EQ and a power amp, of course. You will also want a Radio Shack SPL meter to test responses. These need more tweaking than normal - not plug and play. Cabinets like these tend to be a sonic beast running amok in the listening room, until they are properly installed and equalized. WARNING: If you don't like tweaking, look elsewhere. I spent most of two days setting mine up, most of that time consumed by the EQ setup and taking SPL readings at all low end frequencies.

Also of note is the physical size of the cabinet. These are HUGE. Ear's characterization of "refrigerator" is correct. Better not have WAF problems now - you'll have more with the acquisition of this unit. Large, black monoliths tend to draw negative attention from the wives out there.

This would bring the total investment to about $1200 (on the cheaper side), in which case one may wish to look at some of the SVS big boys.

These large theater cabinets do have some advantages. They are relatively cheap to obtain and offer oodles of cone surface area. I use 2 JBL 4638 theater cabinets (2 15" woofers per cab). This allows the cones to fill the room with bass on minimal cone motion - very clean and quick. NO LINGERING BOOM.

To beat these, I would probably need something big league from SVS, or other subs with similar output. This would cost 3-5X what I paid for the JBLs......too much $$$ upgrade and insufficient improvement to justify cost. I got a great deal on the JBL's though (I paid the tax on the $2400 MSRP, plus shipping to get them - under $450 total delivered to my door - a bargain we may ever see the likes of again). If I were to do this over again though, and could do so for the same cost, I would do it the same way. In your case though, the SVS PB2+ looks like an attractive unit (read review posted in this section of the forum) - especially for the price.

FYI, over the last two years, a set has been passed back n forth on Ebay. One with misteriously non klipsch woofers..(blue) in place ..another time it had been replaced with car sub woofers.. Buyer beware and ask for some updated pics, not the stock ones from Klipsch. (I would rarely ever buy anything off of the Ebay site over say 500 dollars without a current pic and perhaps a chat before I bid with the seller.. It is your $$ do what you want.

I also second the biggness (size wise) and need of a great clean power amp and EQ, not to mention interconnects...placement issues if it is not a HUGE room.

That also said..they will rock like no other for what they are designed for. And at very high SPL's too. Good luck!