RF-5 and RF-7 owners: I need your help

Professor.Ham.Slap

Well, building the HT room in the basement is in full swing now. I came across a slight problem and I was wondering if I can get some opinions. I figured out that I cannot build a stage with Heresy's (to match the Cornwalls) inside without bringing up the floor reletively high which will severely cut down on my 4:3 screen. So with that in mind I decided to instead purchase an RC-7 and eventually sell the Cornwalls and get either the Rf-5 or 7's.

This was probably a very round about way of getting to it, but my question is: Is there a difference between the 5's and the 7's that warrants a $700 price jump? My local Klipsch dealer only has the RF-3II's and nothing above that so what do you think? TIA

The RF-7's has significantly greater bass reproduction ablilities. Yes, worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

It is a real shame that you would have to get rid of the heritage, but I am not sure how getting RF speaker would solve this problem. Please explain. Why can't the heresy's be put on risers at an angle?

The speakers are going to be "built into" the stage. The Cornwalls are going to be put into columns (with open fronts of course) and the center speaker will be placed into underneath the stage floor. The Heresy speakers are very tall so that would push the stage way up into the air. And since the ducts are forcing me to use a drop ceiling, my projector screen would be very small. The only truely exposed speakers would be the side and rear surrounds. Not really the way I wanted to build it (believe me, I would love to keep a Heritage HT) but this one is outta my hands.

Darth,

When I was in the market for speakers I did several blind tests with my Tweeter salesman.

When it came down to the final 3 it was between the RF3, RF7 and a mirage. The rF7s sounded the best hands down.... Money was the issue. The RF5s sounded somewhat different. To my ears the 3 and 7 sounded like they were from the same family. The 5s had a different sound that I did n't care for. I purchased the 3s. About 8 months later I wantd to upgrade. the 5s were not on the list. The 7s are in the HT and I am happy with the performance.

Good luck

Scott

I would see if I could buy a heresy and just turn it on its side.

And maybe then I would try and rearrange the drivers on the front baffle by rotating the squawker and tweeter 90 degrees so you would keep the wider dipersion.

Or just use 2 heresy's on their sides.

Peace, Josh

----------------

On 6/21/2003 6:11:11 PM Darth.Balls wrote:

the center speaker will be placed into underneath the stage floor. The Heresy speakers are very tall so that would push the stage way up into the air.

----------------

How about a custom Heresy like quite a few of us have built. I used the horns & crossover, but replaced the 12" with 2 8" drivers. It's only 10" high.

----------------

On 6/23/2003 12:41:06 PM Darth.Balls wrote:

What woofers would you suggest (probably a sealed enclosure unless I can figure out front porting) for a project like that?

----------------

I am the wrong one to ask, since I just used the trial & error method. I used an set of Infinity 8" car subs that I had laying around, & built more than one box before I got it right. Others here have put some real design into their boxes & know how to do it right. However, I found that the real important part of the timber matching is in the 2 horns. In fact, since you do not have a depth problem, a set of horns from a Cornwall might be the best way to go for you. Others will then have a better idea of what to use for woofers. Maybe a pair of 10" from an RF-7?

When I was designing mine, I was trying to figure out a way to use the original 12" from the Heresy, by mounting it behind the mid/high horns at an angle, then creating some kind of horn to direct the sound to the front on each side of the squawker. I decided against it, since I did not have the room.

If you look at my "toys" link below, you will see my pics of the center during testing & then after I built the box.

----------------

On 6/23/2003 12:41:06 PM Darth.Balls wrote:

You know, I didn't think about building my own Heresy center...

----------------

Also... I don't think anyone here has built a custom Cornwall center.... You might be the first!