Latest pics of future HT

Well...some of you asked for photos as my HT (and house) progresses, so here's some. Below is a shot looking towards the back of the room and my lovely wife and beautiful step-daughter. The door opening on the right leads downstairs and opening my wife is standing in leads to the attic. You can see the recessed lights and boxes for the projector. There will be Heresys (inverted) in the back corners placed at the top of the kneewalls. Main equipment rack will be recessed on the left (looking at the picture) with the equipment being triggered with an IR repeater.

This is just a shot of about where the main A/V equipment will be. I had them install a dedicated 30 amp feed with it's own ground for the equipment.

This is just a shot towards the front of the room. Again, you can see the recessed lights (6 of them). Additionally, we'll have 4 wall sconces (2 each side) on the kneewalls. The recessed, motor driven screen will be above the window.

Until next time. 1.gif

Tom

I haven't really posted images on this forum. But I'd be happy to figure it out and do it for you. Email them to me.

The problem you are having is that the website is looking for the images on your computer. This is where its looking

file:///l:/photos/004.jpg

You l drive in a directory called photos. So when you look at them it shows up because it can find the pictures. But when anybody else does it won't show up. My email is ajit@ajitmonteiro.com

Thanks for putting the pictures in.

The room measures right at 15' wide by 26' long. The ceiling is a bit over 8 feet.

All the electrical wiring was done by the builders' electrician and done to my requirements. In fact, I was at the house yesterday and Heath was finishing up installing some recessed cans and a few other things. And every time I asked him to move something or add something, the reply was the same, "No problem. Whatever you need just lemme know." I'm very please with the electrical work - much better than my previous three houses.

All the HT wiring/cabling will be done by my audio dealer.

Tom

----------------

On 6/24/2003 8:19:16 AM Tom Adams wrote:

Thanks for putting the pictures in.

The room measures right at 15' wide by 26' long. The ceiling is a bit over 8 feet.

----------------

wow.. from the pics it looks quite a bit wider. That big window looks huge!

Keep the pics comming... I can't wait to see it!

Looks great Tom and it'll sound great too.

We have a very similar attic in a much older and colder Victorian house that was redone about 7 years ago. The kneewalls are lower at 36" with a steeper pitch going to the ceiling, so the side walls are much larger with a 5' across level ceiling. It has a rectangular 28 x 66 double hung window at the front.

In relation to your photos -where your wife and child are - to their right, there is a framed closet. To their left the door goes out to an smaller 'L' with a stairway going down to the second floor. Behind them there is another open area where we have a bed and smaller window on the back wall. For safety, we have a trap door that goes down through the closet to a second floor closet, two smoke detectors, a fire extinguisher and metal chain escape ladder. I would like to stress the importance of that.

We finished the whole room in 1" x 4" v-groove pine laid on a 45 diagonal, then stained it with a Minwax honey colored stain, then varnished with a flat finish sanding between coats.

I haven't been up there in 3 weeks since my knee was hurt in an accident. Computer usually stays up there on a desk beside the door but it's on the dining room table right now.

For sound gear right now, the attic is set up as a stereo configuration with the Heresys being powered by the Marantz and a preamp 'y' to the Citation 12 power amp driving the Cornwalls. Speakers are set where your window wall would be and are in from the corners a couple feet and out from the wall about a foot with the window in the middle with a nice pine wood blanket box that serves as a bench.

There are wool carpets on the floor and 3 arm chairs set up across where your wife and child are in a 1-2-3 setup. The sound is warm, full, bright, with lots of presence and no ringing or strain. Best way to eliminate horn ringing seems to be in using more horns. Try checking out your lumber suppliers and get some prices on pine or cedar v-groove. The look is worth it.

The home theatre is set up down on the main floor with mini speakers - tv, dvd, receiver, etc. are hidden in an armoire type cabinet. Rest of the gear is stuffed in the front parlour.

Anyway, good luck and enjoy. Hamish 2.gif

Very nice layout. Bet the finished room will be glorious sounding. Wish I had a dedicated room designed soley for HT use...my brother has his HT system set up in our familyroom, and surprisingly it sounds pretty good. Unfortunantly, we have vibration that can be quite annoying from a sliding glass door, so a dedicated room like yours is essencial for good sound.

Tom

Really nice room.

I do not know what you are going to use for speakers, if there Khorns, or if you want Khorns someday, heck, even for subwoofers in corners - What I do is stiffen the corners by adding a 2x4 to the back of the wall 2x4's on an angle. It really stiffens the corner to give better bass instead of transfering it to your wall structure especially on your non load bearing walls.

From the mid point of the corner, 1/2 way up the wall, run a single 2x4 to the ceiling line and a 2nd 2x4 to the floor line. Since it is on the back of the wall 2x4s it does not get in the way of insulation drywall or boxes.

Just a sugestion since your still at that roughing stage and your only talking about $4-5 cost that can make a great difference.

Again, room is comming along nice.

JM

Thanks JM for the bracing advice. Sounds like an easy thing to do since there is plenty of scrap 2x4's and spare nails lying around the place. My Cornwalls will be the mains, fini's Heresy for the center and (for now) a single KSW15 will be in the right front corner. I've been given the green light for a SVS PB2-Plus with the stipulation that we get into the house first.

BTW - the good folks from Audio Warehouse are at the house today pulling wiring & cabling (including LAN cable). The Family room in this house will have a TV cavity above the fireplace. In it we'll put our Toshiba 36", the wife's Denon 1802 and (for now) a cheapie DVD/VCR player. Sound will be via the wife's RB5's. I've got a Niles switch box that I'll hook to the Denon in order to run the patio speakers. Eventually, my Denon 3800 will retire from HT duty and replace the 1802. The wife wants an autonomous system in the Master bedroom, so the 1802 will assume that duty.

I'm not sure what I'll do with my KSW15 when I get the SVS. I've got provisions in the Family room wiring for a sub, but I may get a smaller more musical sub and sell the KSW15.

Of course....if one of you guys here was just dying to buy my KSW15, that would cause me to have to buy the SVS PB2-Plus now darnit. 11.gif11.gif

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tom, My friend Steve was over with his digital camera so we hobbled up and took a couple pix of our attic which sort of mirrors your new ht room. (See my last post here for the description). As mentioned, the v-groove pine on the diagonal gives it an interesting look. The speakers are the Heresys sitting on top of the Cornwalls, as I use it for a stereo setup with the HK and Marantz. (The sheet covers the front window and our guest's open suitcase). Anyway, I thought you might like a peek. Take care. Hamish

post-12323-1381924820097_thumb.jpg