Simply Vinyl

AnalOg

Took a ride to my local "record" shop yesterday. I was in the mood to listen to some virgin vinyl. My record collection consists of albums from my stoner years going back twenty years or so. Needless to say they are pretty trashed for the most part, due to lack of care. The more current used albums I've aquired from various sources are hit or miss as you can imagine.

From time to time I pick up some new vinyl, preferably 180 gram. Yesterday had some extra time to browse as I went there during working hours, you can do that sort of thing when your self employed. Came across a some 180 gram albums made by a company called Simply Vinyl, based in England. Very well packaged, even the sleeve is made out of heavy pvc, with an actual flap at the top, nice real nice!

At $27.00 a pop, can't go nuts purchasing many at a time, not with this economy anyways. So I purchased Dire Straits, Brother in Arms, 180 grams, Simply vinyl, and a few others. the others consisted of Stevie Ray Vaughn, Live, 180 gram, Classic, and three REM low grade albums ranging from 5 to 10 bucks.

Brother In Arms, playing on my system is a pleasure. very black background, excellent dynamics, its basically what you want to hear coming from all your music sources. There is a "brightness" to the sound, that takes a little getting use to, I believe this is the higher resolution I'm experiencing, it makes the highs seem a little tipped up, but all & all a great listening experience. Needless to say I signed on there web site last night an picked up four more albums:

David Bowie, Space Oddity

Bob Dylan, Highway 61 Revisited

Nirvana, In Utero

Elton John, Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

They have a great product, worth a look!

http://www.simplyvinyl.com

Thankx,

Tom

Tom,

I have an original pressing of the Dire Straits Brothers in Arms album.

This album has always seemed very bright to my ears, in a good way of course.

The snare drum and cymbals really snap, as well there being a very clean detail to the guitar playing.

It would be interesting to hear a clean original copy next to a new 180g pressing.

Peace, Josh

Not sure if it would make a difference but that album was a full digital "DDD" recording when it was made available on CD. So it must have been completely Digitally Mastered when originally recorded perhaps this is the reason for the brightness when pressed onto vinyl. Just a thought.

----------------

On 6/24/2003 11:19:50 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Not sure if it would make a difference but that album was a full digital "DDD" recording when it was made available on CD. So it must have been completely Digitally Mastered when originally recorded perhaps this is the reason for the brightness when pressed onto vinyl. Just a thought.

----------------

One of the first great DDD cds. I'm curious how the vinyl compares.

Just a thought on your comments above. I've noticed that the drums on this recording have that synthesizer sound to them, I wonder if this is a result of digital mastering.

I've noticed this on other LP's also, and just attributed it to coloration. There might be something else going on here.

Tom