my simple yet effective Mcintosh mod!

prodj101

well after I got sick of dealing with those old fasion screws on the output that all old amps have, I decided it was time for something better, so I started looking. I posted on the forum, and got this pointer. it works great! now it can accept any cable. I just got some mini spades, and soldered them to some full size binding posts, works quite well!

post-10107-13819248213874_thumb.jpg

Is that amp tube or SS?

Well, that is certainly one way of connecting wires. hehe I got some of those binding posts with no hole in them the other day for an amp i built... I never knew how much hassle it could be to rap the wire around the bolt, screw the thing on it, then have it fall off... repeatedly.

----------------

On 6/25/2003 8:34:11 PM prodj101 wrote:

I just got some mini spades, and soldered them to some full size binding posts, works quite well!

----------------

I have the same problem as I have a vintage Mac myself. There has to be a better (and cleaner looking) way to do that. For now I'll stick with the original Mac solution that came with the amp.

Tony B.

----------------

On 6/25/2003 8:44:26 PM Elmoe wrote:

A stereo is only as good as it's weakest link!

----------------

See my sig below. Nothing weak at all about a vintage Mac amp and vintage Klipsch speakers. I was very fortunate as I only paid roughly $1400 for both the La Scalas and Mac amp. Very fortunate.

Although I have the 5.1 promedias I've listened only to the Mc\Klipsch setup since their arrival 2 months ago. Outstanding sound.

Call me blessed,

Tony B.

----------------

On 6/25/2003 9:08:35 PM Tony Boone wrote:

----------------

On 6/25/2003 8:34:11 PM prodj101 wrote:

I just got some mini spades, and soldered them to some full size binding posts, works quite well!

----------------

I have the same problem as I have a vintage Mac myself. There has to be a better (and cleaner looking) way to do that. For now I'll stick with the original Mac solution that came with the amp.

Tony B.

----------------

well, mine is the MC-2105, and the back is facing away from me (like most peoples amps) so it really doesn't matter anyway. as for a BETTER way, , you could always do a major overhaul of your amp and redo the panel that has the output jacks, or buy some of those rip off things from the website that cost 20 bucks a set and don't work any better.

craig, I bought those adaptors as well, I just hate to use banana plugs (all my cables have spades) so I have not gotten the most out of them yet. I wish someone would make and item like that that took spades...hey craig, small cottage industry? like that Spealunker guy? tony

Tony,

That would be a cool idea ! But like the Spealunker I bet I would end up charging about the same once I paid the high cost to have it tooled up to recoup my investment. So why not just let my buddy Paul (spealunker guy) have that business ! He really is a great guy !

Craig

craig, yeah I know what you mean. I was never able to purchase from paul because we were not able to come to an agreement about how I could pay. since I live overseas my options are limited to bidpay and yahoo payments, he takes neither (though bidpay is western union) so maybe you could serve a niche market, expat buyers? LOL! some day I will find something that fits my needs AND I can buy on-line...warm regards, tony

Sunny,

Paul offered to sell me quantities at a discount for resale. I just never pursued it because the discount wasn't enough to make it worth while for the investment.By the way he does actually assemble these himself because he told me at the time only 50 were built and he would need a week to construct the rest so those are not something that is manufactured somewhere complete and then he buys them. I searched High and low to try and find them LOL !!

Craig

----------------

On 6/25/2003 9:37:54 PM NOSValves wrote:

"I had to of posted links to these a dozen times on the forum they are designed for the Mc type post and transforms any screw terminal into a Banana jack. Simple, Cheap and effective they also look pretty good.

Part number 45-282G $5.89 a piar from
"

----------------

Wonder if those "L" spade/banana adapters would fit on the barrier/terminal strips on my MC250 and my Cornwalls?