RW Subwoofers

gcoker

Hey everyone, I got an update on the expected shipping

dates for the new RW series subwoofer from Klipsch.

According to Steve Phillips w/Home Audio Tech Support

the RW-8 & 10 will ship by the end of July and the RW-12

mid to late August. 3.gif

What REFERENCE? Who's REFERENCE? Too many companies make garbage and badge them as "reference".

Why not make a reference toilet or a reference diaper? The RW lineup is situated in the lower end.A low end reference maybe

Actually Ear, these are going to follow the same pattern as the other new reference models. Any 35 is better than the corresponding 3. The RW-10 will be better than the RSW-10. The RW-12 is better than the RSW-12. The RSW-15 will still remain king but judging what you just said, you are saying that the RSW-10 and 12 doesn't belong in the reference lineup. If so, I wholeheartedly disagree. The RSW's (and from what I hear from the people who made the trip to Indy) and the RWs are some mighty fine subs.

----------------

On 7/3/2003 6:48:42 PM TheEAR wrote:

What REFERENCE? Who's REFERENCE? Too many companies make garbage and badge them as "reference".

----------------

Actually there was a discussion of this in another thread. A summary was that "Reference", as a word, only implies something which is known and used to compare other similar items too. It does not imply quality, although the marketers get carried away with that. In the lab, new samples are often compared to a "reference" sample... not that the reference is any better, it is just a known one.

In audio, it's all a question of marketing... after all how many brands have Reference, Monitor, or Pro in their names yet vary GREATLY in what the are selling? 6.gif Even Klipsch's top end (by price) is actually the Heritage series. 2.gif

That said... I believe Ears is correct about the "positioning" of the new RW subs below the existing RSW series of the same size... and it this was also recently mentionned by Trey.

----------------

On 7/3/2003 11:32:23 PM prodj101 wrote:

apijefopaijdfa! some people just don't get it. the new RW subs are not replacing the RSW. did you not read the damn news letter deal about it? they state this fact clearly. go to the newscenter archives and see for yourself.

----------------

Well obviously they aren't replacing them. They're still going to be in full fledged production. All I'm saying is that in an equivalency test, the RWs of the same side will slightly edge out the RSWs. Since there is no RW-15, the RSW is still flagship.

"All I'm saying is that in an equivalency test, the RWs of the same side will slightly edge out the RSWs."

Slightly edge the RSW on what? Speed,lack of coloration,impact or just loudness.

Any Joe Blow can design and build a very LOUD sub or speakers,not many can design great sounding products.Plain loudness is no indicator of quality

Take the Avalon Eidolon Diamond and compare these to Definitive BP3000 series towers,the Defiitive will play louder and shake the floor,so most half deaf and non audiophiles(read those who dont know any better)will say the definitive is superior.Well capital BS,the Avalon is so much more refined,natural,uncolored and paints such a deep and vast musical landscape it makes the Definitive sound like a brutish piece of crap.

Loudness is no measure of quality,be it in a sub or full range speakers.I always go for quality first,not dumb ear tearing SPL.

Well im not trying to start anything. But what im hearing from the people who went to indy, is that the RW-12 hits 20hz with good volume.

Now good volume could mean different things to people, and I don't know about quality either, I don't know about a lot of things. I'll know when I hear them of course however.

The RW line is to be less expensive then the RSW line; essentially replacing the KSW series. I doubt the RW will better the RSW subs anywhere but price. The RW-12 was not flawless, but it's flaws were not nearly as bad, or obnoxious, as the Velo CT(?)-120 and a 12" Polk. They are to be priced the same as those 2 subs.

• 2 weeks later...

Bottom line: The RW subs are offered at prices and performance below the RSW models. The MSRP of the RW models are $350, $500 and $650.

Well that is the bottom line. My dealor had told me that the RW line would be a lower end than the RSW line. A smaller RW may "trump" a larger KSW line product.

I think this was done as the RSW line is a little pricey for many people. I have a decent budget and could afford an RSW sub but I have never felt that the RSW line was a great product when comparing cost to performance ratio.