Shure Headphones, surely a disappointment

In two words, sourly disappointing.

If you have ever enjoyed bass, even only a little bass, don't get these. If you have ever enjoyed warmth to music, don't get these. If you have ever enjoyed detail, don't get these. If you have ever enjoyed comfort, don't get these. Isolation? It is good but not nearly as good as they would lead you to believe.

On a scale of 1-100...

Sennheiser HD600's get a 90

Sennheiser HD580's get an 85

Koss Porta Pro's get a 65

Shure E2C's get a 26

Headphones from a portable CD player get a 32

I did a crazy test just now...

Shures on, PortaPro's on over, Sennheiser HD600's over that.

Shures isolated most of what the PortaPro's played by were no match to the enclosure of the HD600's.  The PortaPro's bass and the HD600 bass, which is not only in existance but very good, could not even compare to the bass, or lack there of, with the Shures.  I played all three, the same source, at once.  Then I turned off the headphones, one at a time.  First the HD600's.  Not too much was lost as far as the sound spectrum went.  Turned off the PortaPro's and there was no warmth or clarity and no bass, of course.

If I were to describe the sound, it would be something like this.

Imagine a 6" full range speaker driver made of sand paper and a tiny voice coil powered by a Class B solid state amplifier.  The amp would be 40 watts, 20 watts per channel driven at 8 ohms.  The speaker's would be rated at 16 ohms, 10 watts to 30 watts (80 peak).  The source is a 64-92kbps MP3 of metal/electronica.  You turn it up to try and get SOME bass out of it, but all you get is more dry, scratchy sound.  Then the clipping starts...

I would not recommend these if they were $50, or even $29.  At $100+, I would not recommend wasting time reading reviews.

Of course, this is just my opinion...

Wow... wouldn't have thought they would have been so bad given the price... Guess you will be checking out Etys? I personally cannot stand the in ear canal/earbud style headphones. Too uncomfortable. Senns are light, comfy, and sound great. I am looking into modding mine... heavily. lol Even thinking about making a substitute rear grill piece, changing cables (DIY), making some interconnects, and am revamping my ampage. Either going to go with OPA637BP based SS amp or tubes of some kind... though either is going to cost a fortune. Ahh, decisions, decisions... no easy choice.

As for your description......Sounds like a young teenager... (don't get all worked up now... I'm being general)... With a very limited income..with a $49.00 stereo system in his ..or ..her vehicle...(this being P C sucks)...and unbaffled speakers in the back window...driven at ..or well above the rated input for the driver itself..on a hot summer day with the windows down..from a distance of...say... 50 feet....need I say more!!.....GC

If your shopping around; I've always liked BeyerDynamic headphones, better known for their mikes... I find their sound rich but not tiring like some others I tried. But as you've discovered... headphones, like speakers, are a very personal thing.

Rob.

----------------

On 6/27/2003 9:01:40 AM justin_tx_16 wrote:

KOSS.com sells them for $14.99 and the case is $7.99. Just ordered a pair.

One thing that SHURE got WAY right?... The carrying case. What a peice.
12.gif

----------------

I knew they were relatively cheap. Enjoy them - I know you will. Best idea Koss had in a long, long time.

Well, here's an independent confirmation of Justin's review. He came over to my house to let me listen to some of his amps on my speakers, and brought all his headphones with him.

Yikes, were they bad (the Shures, that is)!

I've got a $20 pair of Sony headphones (MDR-CD60) from Best Buy, and they've got far better sound quality than the Shures.

Apparently, you're paying for the nifty carrying case and noise isolation design. Unfortunately, the noise you're isolating with these things is the noise coming from the tiny (and tinny) drivers inside the earbuds, and you're only isolating it from anyone else in the room.

These things have absolutely *zero* bass (and by "bass", I mean, "anything below about 500 Hz"). Maybe that's not a big surprise considering the tiny drivers. But why does the rest of the sound spectrum have to sound so bad, too? I had Dire Straits' "Ride Across the River" playing (from Brothers in Arms), and poor Knopfler sounded ill. Everything had sort of a "tinny" sound to it, and, well, just plain sounded bad.

Jim

----------------

On 6/27/2003 11:02:28 AM iDunno wrote:

Yo, you should try the sony mdr-v6 not v600 headphones.

I have a pair and they sound great but bright.

you should try them since i havent seen anyone on this forum review a sony headphone.

----------------

Here's my review of a Sony headphone

Sony MDR-V600 (list $99)

Aesthetics: Nice padding - much more comfy than their big brother the V700DJ. Love the folding design, but it would be nice if they were self adjusting.

Sound quality: Very nice detail, great image, well balanced. On the downside, it's a typical Sony speaker product - very short on bass, and extremely bright. They claim 15Hz-25Khz, but I'd say that a fair estimate would be more like 75Hz on the bottom before it really rolls off. When you dial in an eq that gives the Sonys a good strong bass, a decent pair of speakers would be muddied up with the excess.

Overall, I don't regret the purchase. I use them for rough mixing and stereo panning in my studio. I've had mine for two years, had no trouble at all. I do plan on upgrading to a nice pair of Sennheisers at some point (but that's a low-priority upgrade at this point)