remote

amonteiro

amonteiro-

I have a Home Theater Master MX-700 and I LOVE it! The primary reason that I went for the 700 over the MX-500 is the computer programming software. Recently they added Pronto file conversion (YES!!!!) to the software (MXEditor 1.10). I prefer the hard buttons over the lcd type remotes, it's really a personal preference. For programmable remotes (the most flexible ones), people either got for a HomeTheaterMaster or Pronto but they are expensive. Cheap ones....ummm...probably the suggested All-For-One or RatShack are fine.....

-Dave

I too, use the Rat Shack Kameleon. I love it!! You can't beat it for the price. I also prefer buttons, but unlike LCD, this has a button feel when you push down. It took 5 remotes off my table and is such a breeze to use my 8 year old has no problems using it. You can wait till Aug. and buy one from BestBuy for $20 more bucks. All-in-One makes these for RadioShack and BB. The BB one will have a little different design, same functionality though. 2.gif

I can second the MX-500/700. I use the 500 & it even works my X-10 lighting. I wanted the 700, but was out of my price range when I was looking, also I did not really like the color.

I hear it's much cheaper now.

----------------

On 6/27/2003 9:49:57 AM amonteiro wrote:

what universal remote do you guys use? and how good is it?

----------------

I don't use a universal remote myself. However, if you have a PocketPC there is software you can get that will allow you to use it as a universal remote.

Tony B.

amonteiro-

There is a third party software program for the MX-500, it called IRClone (www.irclone.com). You can find more about this software from the Remote Central forums (www.remotecentral.com). Alot of the MX-500 users rave about the software, so it might be worth checking out.

The MX-700 & MX-500 are essentially identical, but there is a fundamental difference in their programming. The MX-700 REQUIRES a computer to program the remote, the MX-500 programming is done internally to the remote but may be programmed externally by IRClone.

If you like the MX-500, then get it....its a great remote. But for financial reasons, might give the RatShack remote a try (Remote Central also has a review of that remote) and then return it if you don't like it and get the MX-500.

Cheers

-Dave

I use a Sony System Commander (2100?).

I'm pretty happy with it. I paid about $80 for it from some shop in Yahoo shopping. I know they have a newer model out now but I'm not sure of the model #.

I'm still on my first set of batteries and its been almost 2 years. I dont use the LCD that much though and I make a point of switching the remote off each time I use it.

It does pretty much everything I need and was fairly easy to program. I love the fact I can turn my Air Conditioner on from 2 rooms over from my sofa.

I tried a Rat Shack all-in-one prgrammable before the Sony and it was a nightmare to program stuff that wasnt pre-programmed. That and I didnt feel it was laid out properly. Its in my bedroom now and works great with a simple TV/VCR/DVD setup.

I looked at the IRClone, but can not find the price. I get sent to this page:

UNFORTUNATELY WE ARE NOT ABLE TO SHIP ANY IRCLONE HARDWARE DUE TO PARTS SHORTAGES. WE EXPECT PRODUCTION TO BE BACK ONLINE IN JULY

Does anyone know the price??

My universal remote is my 13 year old son. There are a couple of problems with this type of remote.

1. they occassions stop working when shoes hit them in certain areas of the body

2. they like to take breaks every so often

3. they are sometime not available

4. their heads sometimes interefer with the picture

5. if the HT is dark they are not able to find buttons so readily.

6. at loud volumes you sometimes have to repeat the commands

personally I would not recommend this type of remote. The service plans are costly and maintenance is very high. Some good things that I have found;

1. they are the only remotes with the ability to change movies or games

2. able to fetch beverages and/or snacks

3. answer the phone if need be

Scott

cyclonecj-

I'm going off memory....but I want to say it was less then $100 for software and hardware. With the MX-500 & IRClone, it was like 1/2 the price of a MX-700, but it has been 4-5 months since I last looked at the prices.

-Dave