Scored MC240 Today

garymd

garymd,

That's good to know, maybe Audio Classics' published web prices are not etched in stone and maybe all their stock isn't currently listed on the web page.

There isn't much time left but here is a C20 on ebay. I don't know anything about the seller or the unit, just happened to see it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I missed that one (not that I would have bid anyway). Good to know I could possibly get one for under a grand. Ebay vs Audio Classics or the like? Ready to play condition vs who knows? That's my guess. I need another old lady with a C20. 2.gif

Gary, once you get your MC240 all set up and running, you may want to try hooking up your Technics CD player directly to the amp's inputs, connected to your Cornwalls, and give it a listen. Like my present system, I don't even miss not having a preamp (I no longer have any other sources, either). Try your amplifier in this pure, straightforward arrangement until you can afford a McIntosh tube preamp...it may surprise you how well it sounds! I know I'm pleased with my system.16.gif

----------------

On 7/2/2003 9:43:25 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Gary, once you get your MC240 all set up and running, you may want to try hooking up your Technics CD player directly to the amp's inputs, connected to your Cornwalls, and give it a listen. Like my present system, I don't even miss not having a preamp (I no longer have any other sources, either). Try your amplifier in this pure, straightforward arrangement until you can afford a McIntosh tube preamp...it may surprise you how well it sounds! I know I'm pleased with my system.
16.gif

----------------

Jim,

That is one thing I really like about this amp. Gain controls. Unlike many amps I can actually try it out without a pre (or without blowing up my speakers). You read my mind. That's the first thing I'll do when I get it running.1.gif

A very nice MX-110 tuner/preamp just went for $581 on ebay. I couldn't get into auctionsniper.com for some reason so I missed out.7.gif Really ticked me off! I tried for about 10 minutes without success but kept timing out (sort of like the Klipsch forum). I tried manually, put in a bid for $575 with 30 seconds left then by the time I tried $600 the aution was over. Oh well. Maybe the other guy had over $600 bid anyway. They are available though. I'll keep looking. Very frustrating without sniping. At least when I snipe I don't have to do any scrambling at the last minute.

----------------

On 7/7/2003 12:20:23 PM rf3iicrazy wrote:

For what its worth, With 30 seconds left in a auction submit the absolute most you will pay, you only have one shot, don't miss out by submitting a higher figure later.

Tom

----------------

Tom,

Thats what I did but then changed my mind at the last second. When I bid $575 with 30 seconds left it was at $492. I think this guy really wanted it anyway and would have outbid me even with my higher bid. Thanks for the advice though.

Ever figure out what the big speakers were? Inquiring (or just nosey) minds want to know! (Besides which, even if the cabinets are trashed, the drivers themselves can be worth a small fortune.)

I used to have a C-20. Just about the most versatile preamp I've ever seen. Unfortunately there were some sonic issues with it - as Danny O'Brian, the McIntosh guru who handled the test clinics for many years said when testing mine - and this is a quote now - "Well, we're not too proud of this one."

The C-11 is a nice preamp and usually a lot cheaper than the C-22.

The MX 110 would be a fine choice as well, but be ready to get it re-aligned and so on.

Over a year ago I lost out on a bid for a McIntosh C36 preamp with only seconds to spare. The final bid was only $675, and that's the cheapest I've ever seen a C36 go for (usually between $700 to $1200 on eBay, AudiogoN, or AudioWeb). It's a damn nice piece of Mac gear, and the newest SS preamp that I could afford at the time. If you're not too concerned about owning a Mac tube preamp, and you don't want an older model, then check out the C36...I think it's sweet, but that's just me!2.gif

----------------

On 7/7/2003 5:22:27 PM CaptnBob wrote:

Ever figure out what the big speakers were? Inquiring (or just nosey) minds want to know! (Besides which, even if the cabinets are trashed, the drivers themselves can be worth a small fortune.)

I used to have a C-20. Just about the most versatile preamp I've ever seen. Unfortunately there were some sonic issues with it - as Danny O'Brian, the McIntosh guru who handled the test clinics for many years said when testing mine - and this is a quote now - "Well, we're not too proud of this one."

The C-11 is a nice preamp and usually a lot cheaper than the C-22.

The MX 110 would be a fine choice as well, but be ready to get it re-aligned and so on.

----------------

CaptnBob,

Is the C-11 stereo? I didn't see any cheaper Mac preamps other than the monos. I'm not too concerned about realignment of the MX-110 since I won't be using the tuner all that much. Really just need a basic pre. I don't really care if I get a tuner or not. The MX-110 just seemed more available. The tuner would be an added bonus.

I left a message regarding the speakers. My friend can't remember what they were but I know his partner does and I also know they trashed them. I couldn't believe it either. He'll get back to me and I'll let you know.

Jim,

Wouldn't using a SS pre with the 240 change the sonics or "tube sound" significantly?

----------------

On 7/7/2003 10:47:10 PM Elmoe wrote:

not only do we look alike..but we have the same name too!!!!!

----------------

Funny. I always thought your name was Elmoe! I'll have to change mine to Cookie Monster to avoid confusion.