Scored MC240 Today

garymd

My local Tweeter salesman/friend took a Mac MC240 out of a customer's house a while back. She was 85 and her deceased brother left her with it and what was described as 7ft tall Croacion coffin shaped speakers. The speakers were completely trashed but the Mac was OK. Some pitting and a little rust but not bad. The transformers and cage look perfect. He said one channel was strong, the other weak although I wish he had brought it up properly since it had most likely been sitting for a while. I asked what he wanted for it and he said he was hoping to get $300-400 from ebay. I told him I'd give him $350 and he took it. SCORE! Anyway, I'm hoping someone here can help me out with a copy of the service manual and scematics. I can always go to ebay but of course I'd rather avoid that. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gary

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a deal. I just got a MA6100 for $300 and thought I did well. That deal smokes mine. If at anytime you would like to trade that "has been" tube amp for a solid state (could have been in Terminator 3) amp, just let me know!

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to getting it in working condition (with a little help from a friend we all know). Now I need to find a pre to accompany it. What is the 240s counterpart? It's pretty cool to actually own one of these. The only other time I've ever seen one in person was when I was a kid and my best friend's father had the whole Mac set-up from top to bottom. Otherwise, I just drool over the ones I see on ebay or on this forum.1.gif

He gave me the name but I forgot. Said there was lots of info on the net about them. I was hoping someone here recognized them by my description. I'll find out tomorrow. I know they had some unbelievable number of drivers in them.

Can anyone help me out with schematics/service manual? Thanks.

Can't help you with a schematic...but boy does your list of aquisitions keep growing. Some people are just lucky I guess. Hope the Mac doesn't take a lot of $$ so you can get a preamp for it. Isn't the C20 or something like that supposed to be the match?

Can't help you with a schematic...but boy does your list of aquisitions keep growing. Some people are just lucky I guess. Hope the Mac doesn't take a lot of $$ so you can get a preamp for it. Isn't the C20 or something like that supposed to be the match?

"My local Tweeter salesman/friend took a Mac MC240 out of a customer's house a while back."

Did she report this to the HoCoPD? Sounds like TWO crimes have been committed here! BTW, Gramophone, Ltd. as a connection with a real Mac guru if you want red carpet service on that pup. Way to go!

----------------

On 7/1/2003 9:04:11 PM tillmbil wrote:

----------------

Yeah, my basement is starting to fill up. I'll have about 3 good systems up and running before long. I just printed schematics from the net so I don't think it will be too hard to find a service manual. I'm hoping there's not much wrong other than a tube or two. It was serviced in '91 then basically set aside for 12 years in a not so environmentally friendly area. It also needs the stereo/mono knob.

----------------

On 7/1/2003 9:16:39 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

"My local Tweeter salesman/friend took a Mac MC240 out of a customer's house a while back."

Did she report this to the HoCoPD? Sounds like TWO crimes have been committed here! BTW, Gramophone, Ltd. as a connection with a real Mac guru if you want red carpet service on that pup. Way to go!

----------------

It was Montgomery Co. LOL 85 yr old lady told them to get it out of her house. She couldn't budge it and it was taking up room. My good fortune.1.gif

I now have manuals on the way from McIntosh and a knob on the way from Audioclassics ($5). Now I need to find a C20 or C22 preamp for less than a small fortune. Audioclassics said a good one runs about $1200 but I'm hoping to do better. If anyone out there sees one at a reasonable price, please let me know. Thanks all, Gary

Way to go, Gary. Congrats on becoming a McIntosh owner. MC240's are sweet amps indeed, and more than enough for your Klipsch horn speakers. Once it's repaired/restored, it will definately last you a lifetime.

Check out Roger Russell's website (http://www.roger-russell.com/); if you haven't been there before, it is a chock-full of juicy Mac info from a man who was employed with McIntosh Labs during their glory days! If anyone's got any service manuals or schematic diagrams (also literature and copies of owners manuals), he does. When I owned my MC7200 and e-mailed him for literature, not only did I receive the copies in record time, but we corresponded on a regular basis for a time...very nice man!1.gif

Edster & Tony,

The guy I spoke to at Audio Classics this morning said thay had a couple of C20s in the $1200 range in good shape. I'm going to have to wait a while on that anyway. Been spending way too much on my hobby lately as is.

Jim,

Thanks. I'll keep Roger's name handy for future reference. I ordered manuals from McIntosh today for next to nothing so I'm set there.

Yikes. How am I going to sneak this one in past the wife. Wish me luck.6.gif