Shure V15 type IV

fini

Does anyone here have experience with this cartridge? What range of tracking force do you use? I am considering using it on my Pioneer PL-41 w/ stock tonearm. Would it be worth $20 used, especially considering Shure's stylus replacement policy? It would come with a Technics SL-220 (I know...junk).

fini

I'm using the type V with a technics SL-1800 and it sounds great. I'm guessing it's not much different as far as tracking. Does it have a brush? If so 1.5g with brush down and 1.0g without brush. $20 is a steal if it's in good condition. Of course I could be wrong and you could ruin all your vinyl!6.gif Hopefully someone who actually has the IV will chime in.

Bad fini Bad !!

Stop Playing With Your Stylus !

The V15 III frequently goes to about $40-50 on eBay so A V15 IV should be a no-brainer at $20.00.

I have read recently that many are questioning the wisdom of running cartridges at the bleeding edge of their minimum weight as the cartridge is more prone to mistrack and that sort of mistracking is actually harder on the LP than the wear caused by a slightly higher tracking force.

FWIW I run my V15 III at about 1.5 grams and have never heard any evidence of mistracking. My recollection is that the tracking force range specified for the V15 III is .75 g. to 2.0 g.

----------------

On 7/2/2003 9:32:51 PM lynnm wrote:

I have read recently that many are questioning the wisdom of running cartridges at the bleeding edge of their minimum weight as the cartridge is more prone to mistrack and that sort of mistracking is actually harder on the LP than the wear caused by a slightly higher tracking force.

FWIW I run my V15 III at about 1.5 grams and have never heard any evidence of mistracking. My recollection is that the tracking force range specified for the V15 III is .75 g. to 2.0 g.

----------------

Thanks for the responses, guys. I had purchased a new (wow! fini bought new!!) Grado (Green, I think) for the Pioneer, and had some problems with tracking (I believe it's what's referred to as "the Grado dance": I wish I'd known about that before I bought it!), and had to increase the tracking force beyond the recomended upper force. The Pioneer's headshell, at least with the Grado, offered no adjustment to dial-in the 90-degree-to the radius deal (what's that called?), nor does the PL-41 allow for anti-skating. The VTA is hit-or-miss. On top of that, the presentation, using a Nakamichi SR-3A Stasis receiver and Cornwalls, is less than inspiring: definitely not better than cd's. I thought for the relatively small investment, the Shure might be worth a shot.

fini

Oh, Gary, the cartridge has no brush, but I understand that is part of the stylus assembly, so as such would be replaced with the new stylus.

----------------

On 7/2/2003 11:37:04 PM garymd wrote:

I'm just a dumbass banker from Maryland. My wife is an attorney. She has the brains in this house, although she did marry me.

----------------

Hey, now! Dumbasses do NOT own Cornwalls, ESPECIALLY Zebrawood models!

fini

I ran that cartridge for a long time. It's 1 gram without the brush, 1.5 with.

Personally, I would spend a little more and opt for a high output moving coil -- seriously. After moving forward, I realized how "dry" the type IV really was.

----------------

On 7/2/2003 11:47:07 PM fini wrote:

----------------

On 7/2/2003 11:37:04 PM garymd wrote:

I'm just a dumbass banker from Maryland. My wife is an attorney. She has the brains in this house, although she did marry me.

----------------

Hey, now! Dumbasses do NOT own Cornwalls, ESPECIALLY Zebrawood models!

fini

----------------

You're right fini. I'm a smartass banker.2.gif

----------------

On 7/2/2003 11:47:51 PM DeanG wrote:

I ran that cartridge for a long time. It's 1 gram without the brush, 1.5 with.

Personally, I would spend a little more and opt for a high output moving coil -- seriously. After moving forward, I realized how "dry" the type IV really was.

----------------

Such as? Anything that will work with a massive tonearm?

fini

I'm a little rusty with this stuff, and I'm sure someone will pop in with a better suggestion -- but I was always partial to the Ortofons. Even after all these years, I'm sure they still offer good bang for the buck.

The MC1 ($160), MC3 ($300), or MC15 ($300) would probably all work. You might find these discounted somewhere -- I gave the list prices.

MC_15_SUPER_II.jpg

Well, I picked it up today. The belt was decomposed, but I don't really care about the TT at all. Had to turn the platter by hand to test it. Felt like DJ fini-meister. Yeah, baby.

The cartridge does indeed have the brush installed (it's quite small, eh?). Brought it hoeme and swapped the headshells for a quick test. Seems to work fine on the Pioneer, although I will wait until I get a tracking force gauge (on order from Garage 'A Records) and dial it in. It's probably a smart idea to go ahead and replace the stylus, especially considering it's been on a Technics SL220. How should it look under microscopic inpection? I'll pull out my stereo microscope later and have a look-see.

fini

----------------

On 7/3/2003 6:33:48 PM fini wrote:

How should it look under microscopic inpection? I'll pull out my stereo microscope later and have a look-see.

fini

----------------

As long as you clean off all the amoebas and other unwanted microorganisms it should be fine.1.gif2.gif9.gif