Shure V15 type IV

fini

Here you go, Lynn:

pl41-1.jpg

pl41-2.jpg

It's a pretty simple manual belt-drive turntable, built like a tank. I have fit it into a custom walnut "Danish" console (matching my Cornwalls).

fini

Well, I sent the stylus off to Shure for replacement. It'll be the stylus for the type III, though. They no longer have the type IV's. And it's $50, not $20.8.gif

fini

With my Denon DP-62L manual direct-drive 'table, I've had good luck in the past with MM cartridges from audio-technica, Sigma, and Stanton (all high-end models in their time). The only MC I've ever owned was a high-output Sumiko Blue Point; now that's a bargain MC if I ever heard one. It had excellent resolution and wide dynamics, and it was the first cartridge I've ever owned that made my audiophile LP's sound so much better than most of my CD's!

But I've read good reviews on your Shure (it's a classic that's been in production for many years), and other more affordable cartridges from Ortofon, Grado, Denon, Linn, Goldring, and Rega. I'm sure you'll be pleased with your Shure/Pioneer combo.

It looks like this cartridge may be living on the new TT/tonearm combo I picked up today: A Kenwood TD-500 with an Infinity Black widow arm, for only $17.49! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

fini

As far as the Shure V15 goes, Harry Weisfield (VPI owner/designer) some time ago posted an email on the Phonogram list talking about tracking abilities of different carts during a test he did. He said the V15 was hands down the best tracking cart of the many he tested. I'm not sure (no pun) which model V15 it was. However, I printed his results and as soon as I locate it, I'll post it here.

Regards,

Chris