Quartets are In da' House

Geo1

To recap: I won these Quartets on eBay on June 16. The seller had no feedback and I didn't hear from him for two days after the auction. He was located in Chicago and the speakers were in Cali. He had limited access to a computer and could only send one e-mail a day, so communication was very sparse. He had trouble getting someone in Cali to package and ship the speakers and, frankly, if he had been a fraud and just kept my money without sending the speakers, there's probably nothing I could have done except left nasty feedback (big deal!). Anyway, they arrived yesterday, packaged in such a way that if a tank had run over them, it's likely that the only damage done would have been to the tank. Thick styrofoam all around the sides of the boxes and a thick piece on the top and bottom. The speakers themselves are beautiful. Oiled oak with sequential serial numbers, so the grains of the veneer are matched both on each individual speaker and on the pair of speakers. Manufactured in 1990. Only two very minor dings to the cabinets, not even noticeable unless you look for them. Funny thing is that the speakers shown in the eBay listing are clearly walnut and these are oak, so they're not even the ones pictured. This could have turned out real badly, but it has turned out very well. The cabinets are very thirsty, though, so I've gone over them with some teak oil. That also covers surface scratches. One question I have, though: I've played a frequency sweep through the speakers and one has a buzz in the tweeter at 135hz to 145hz. I tightened the screws on all the speakers and some were loose, but the tweeter still buzzes. Any thoughts on this? Thanks to all who offered advice and moral support when I was anxious about this purchase. Well worth the anxiety. I've also ordered a Jolida JD-102B tube amp which should arrive next week, but I haven't told my wife about that yet, so don't say anything, OK? Thanks again.9.gif

Geo-

Congrats on a happy ending. I know you'll love those Quartets, as I love both of the "big brothers." Oiled oak is my favorite finish, and at some point, I'll own a pair of the Quartets. Personally, I'd go for boiled linseed oil for quenching their thirst, as that is what they left the factory with. Don't know about your buzzing, sorry.

Can you pull the tweeter out of the cabinet and make sure nothing has gotten around the cone? And make sure there is not a speaker lead up against it (not seen how the tweeter is made on the backside), to vibrate at that frequency. I had a wire buzzing against a cone once. Pretty annoying.

Congrats as well.

Marvel

They sound great and I couldn't be happier with them. I'll take a look at the tweeter. I can't hear a buzz when listening to music, but it's got to be there when the speaker reproduces that frequency range. Thanks for the suggestion. Also, thanks for the suggestion on the boiled linseed oil.

boomac: Also, thanks to you for all of your input and thoughts during this process. You know, since buying the Reference system and now the Quartets and, then, when the tube amp gets set up, I'm rediscovering listening and it's great!

Well, I found the source of that buzz. There are two nuts, one on the top and one on the bottom of the driver, which fasten the horn structure to the magnet. These two nuts were loose on the tweeter that was buzzing. I snugged them up and the buzzing's gone. If that's the worst thing wrong with these speakers after 13 years of use, I'm one happy guy.

----------------

On 7/5/2003 6:02:13 PM Geo1 wrote:

Just got on and just finished listening to the stereo mix of Workingman's on the DVD-Audio version. Nothing better.
9.gif

----------------

GEO1,

I didn't even know they had it in DVD-A. Must sound great. I just got the remastered 180 gram versions of Workingman's Dead, American Beauty, and Live Dead for Father's Day on vinyl. They all sound great but I must admit both the vinyl and CDs have their own unique qualities. The first CD I ever bought back in the mid 80s was Terrapin Station. I thought all the hype regarding this new technology must have been crap after hearing it on my new CD player. One of the worst recorded CDs I've ever heard. I'm glad they eventually figured out how to do it right. "In The Dark" remains one of the best CD recordings I have in my collection. I use it often to show off my system. Glad all is well with your new speakers.

Marvel,

If you ever want suggestions regarding wonderful live recordings of the Dead available on CD just ask. I've heard just about all of them.9.gif

garymd: Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are both out on DVD Audio. Both are re-mixes done by Mickey Hart. Both also have two channel re-mixes so they can be played on two channel systems. The sound is incredible for 30 year old recordings. The opening chords of Uncle John's Band is the first GD music I ever heard. I was hooked from that moment. I also have the Mo Fi vinyl of American Beauty from a little over 20 years ago. It's also outstanding quality.

Marvel: Although the Dead could be ragged, when they had a good night, the musical conversation was as interesting as music gets. Lots of great live GD recordings.

----------------

On 7/5/2003 10:59:18 PM Geo1 wrote:

garymd: Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are both out on DVD Audio. Both are re-mixes done by Mickey Hart. Both also have two channel re-mixes so they can be played on two channel systems. The sound is incredible for 30 year old recordings. The opening chords of Uncle John's Band is the first GD music I ever heard. I was hooked from that moment. I also have the Mo Fi vinyl of American Beauty from a little over 20 years ago. It's also outstanding quality.

Marvel: Although the Dead could be ragged, when they had a good night, the musical conversation was as interesting as music gets. Lots of great live GD recordings.

----------------

I hate to do it but I have no choice. I'll have to buy them next week. That'll give me about 4 different versions of those albums (at least). Yeah, those first chords of Uncle Johns Band and Box of Rain are hard to beat!

Marvel,

It all depended on Jerry's frame of mind on a particular evening. It could be ragged as GEO said or it could be magical. 1977 and 1978 shows seemed to have been magical more often than not.

Geo1,

While constructing the HT in the basement, I have my Quartets set up in the family room for HT and two channel. The more I listen, the more I like. You did good and I bet, no matter what other speakers you may buy, you will always keep the Quartets.

You guys must be talking about The Gratefull Dead, right? I don't know where I was when they were real popular but I am not familiar with one of their tunes. If I was to really listen to one title or CD, what should it be? I'm really enjoying the jazz recommendations now but I'm willing to try anything.

I'd go along with sfleming for a studio recording. The songs on "American Beauty" all have beautiful melodies with lyrics which are neither preachy, nor condescending to the audience like so many lyrics of the day (1970). For a live recording, I'd recommend "Ladies and Gentlemen...the Grateful Dead." It's a live recording from 1971 at the Fillmore East and it demonstrates both songwriting and their ability to jam and improvise and it covers every style of music the Dead played. It's a four disc set, though, so it's a little pricey to buy just for the purpose of seeing whether you like the music. I agree wholeheartedly with garymd that the mid to late 70's were their golden years. Oh, and, yes, I think I'll be keeping the Quartets. I don't find them lacking in bass at all and the mid-range horn is providing everything I was looking for over the Reference speakers. And this is with them being powered by a Panasonic receiver. I can't wait until the Jolida arrives.

Boomac,

Good to hear from ya! Listen to either/both American Beauty/Workingman's Dead. Both great. I bet you've heard some songs of theirs and just don't know it. I have tons of live stuff that is amazing also. I'd be happy to put together a CD for you.