Japanese 2A3's on Ebay

Daddy Dee

----------------

On 7/11/2003 6:04:10 AM DeanG wrote:

Good SET is about the iron -- it's responsible for 7/10's of what the amp does -- and these have
outstanding
iron. Looking at the pictures you can see that they are well laid out with good parts. These weren't thrown together by a weekend warrior.

----------------

These particular amps are using Tango's "workhorse" the U808. This OPT is a compromise as you can use it in push pull design and in SET design. I would not qualify it as outstanding. It's a nice OPT but of the "experimenter grade" quality.

For sure these amps seems to be really nice and at around 1000. these could be no brainers. I'd check for the availability/cost of the Western Electric driver tube though...

The Tango U-808 is a universal SINGLE-ENDED output transformer & is not designed for push-pull. It's designed for triodes like the 2A3 & 50, & pentodes (6L6). I guess that's why it's universal.

I've had 2A3 monoblocks with U-808's. Great sounding output transformer probably attributed to a good design & the high quality control of manufacturer. They'll cost about $300+ per pair. The U-808's also have 4 primary impedance settings, 2, 2.5, 3.5 & 5k ohm. To me 3.5 k sounds best. May explain the low 2.5 watt rating!

The amps on eBay have DC on the filaments --- too bad; with a proper power supply design & build (there should be no hum!), I prefer the live sound of AC filaments. That's one of my theories why I prefer the sound of 2A3's over other higher filament voltage triodes like the 50 & 300B. You really need DC filaments on these higher power triodes to eliminate hum. I think the DC filaments take away some of the "life".

The quality of amps components are very important but just important (maybe more) is the quality of the build. The Wright mono's are high quality-built with basic components (Hammond transformers).

Have fun & enjoy,

Pete

----------------

On 7/11/2003 11:19:39 AM Triode Pete wrote:

The Tango U-808 is a universal SINGLE-ENDED output transformer & is not designed for push-pull. It's designed for triodes like the 2A3 & 50, & pentodes (6L6). I guess that's why it's universal.

----------------

Hum... Er.. Dean, it's finally me who stand corrected!!!

I guess I mistook the screen grid tap for a center tap in the U808. Seeing "a third wire" and the "Universal" mention made me wrongly assume that the "universality" was in the sense of the Hammond 125 serie, I'll shamfully admit.

This being said, I still wouldn't describe them as outstanding. Especially in a PP configuration...

They sure are pretty though and look well built. Still looks to be a good deal at the present time.

Pete, your comments on the filiment type is interesting. Care to elaborate if possible? It's tough when you start squishing those transformers together.

Interesting ending to this auction. The pair of amps went for $1600, as one would expect sniped in the last seconds. Bummer for the guy who'd had a good bid in for several days, he put in a snipe bid at the last second, literally, but only for the same amount as the winning bidder who had bid the same amount a few seconds earlier.

The seller had agreed to fax the schematics, but didn't. I didn't contact him again with a second request.

Thanks guys, for the posts, I learned ALOT on this thread.

Best regards,

Dee