Japanese 2A3's on Ebay

Daddy Dee

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3034337121&category=39783

What do you think of these amps. The description is pretty good and there are some good pics of the underside. What do you see in there.

What questions would you have for the seller?

Appreciate any feedback.

Dee

o.k. 2A3 fans, how about some help here?

Daddydee,

I can't help you on questions since I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to tubes other than the listening bliss of my 299b but they are right down the street from my office. Lots of stuff I don't need is near me right now for some reason. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Gary, that's cool to be close by and thanks for the offer. I'll let you know.

Craig and Mike. Good iron, huh?

One thing I was wondering is what do you make of the 2.5 wpc? Usually 2A3's are rated at 3.5, but there is some other well known name I was looking at on the net some time ago that was also rated at 2.5.

Description posted on Ebay

One pair - two separate custom single-ended tube monoblock amplifiers. 2.5 watts per channel of perfect power - plenty for efficient speakers. Sweet, seductive single-ended triode sound unmatched by the commercial gear (these amplifiers are hand-made prototypes designed and built by a well-known Japanese high-end audio designer).

The amplifiers are used, but in perfect functional condition. The amplifiers are offered with schematics and money-back guarantee (minus shipping);

Features:

- Tango (Japan) output transformers;

- Tamura (Japan) power transformers;

- Western Electric 448A driver tubes;

- military 12ax7 input tubes;

- GE RCA 2A3 output tubes (pure class A, single-ended)

- tube-based plate (high voltage) rectifier (5U4GB) with choke input filter;

- soft-start to assure extended tubes life;

- Genuine WBT (German) in put RCA jacks and output speaker binding posts;

- Point-to-point wiring using audiophile-grade wire (the best available: pure silver wire in critical areas; special pure silver LITZ wire (21 individually Teflon insulated thin strands) from the input RCA terminal to the input tube grid;

-high quality Swiss Noble stepped input signal pot/attenuators;

-premium film capacitors in the signal path (no electrolytics in the signal path);

- second WBT RCA jack on the back for bi-amplification (to path the signal to a second bass amplifier, if necessary)

- provision for easy incorporation of an active (line-level) crossover into the circuit (a highly recommended feature, impossible to find in commercial amplifiers at any price range);

- gold-anodized non-resonant aluminum chassis and 1/8 inch thick pure copper chassis plate;

- stabilized DC heaters supplies (i.e. no noise or hum); separate heater circuits and separate stabilization for the input and the output tubes;

- premium ceramic tube sockets (some Japanese, some American);

- "captive" IEC sockets (for removable AC power cords) on the back of the amps for power cords: locking hardware for the locking IEC cords, but full compatibility with any AC power cord;

-user-replaceable twist-lock AC fuses on the back panels;

- soft diffused green "on" light on the front panel and on/off power switch;

The amplifiers are offered in good working condition (the output 2A3 tubes have only 50 hours on them; the WE448A tubes have approximately 300 hours on them, but they will last a life time :-)

Dee,

It appears to have alot of goodies, tube rectification and all. One thing to consider in this hobby, if you want to try out alot of gear, can you move this piece at a minimal to no loss, if you so desire. Just something to consider. Popularity of a component will dictate the resale value of course. I like the fact that you don't need a preamp. If cost and resale is not a factor to you, it looks well made with some nice "stuff" to make a nice package.

You already have the 2a3 topology on hand, if your still searching, try another tube compliment, broaden your experience. Gain experience, then decide what you like. At that point if desired, upgrade to a better amp in that tube topology.JMHO!

As of now I'm stuck on the KT88 tube, I have no desire to try something else. Maybe someday but for now this is bliss to my ears.

Tom

Tom,

Yep, thanks for the post. So far that has been my criteria in checking out different topologies. The ability to get in and out and break even. That's a little easier to nail with more common types. I don't really have a clue as to the market value of this amp would be. If it was Bottlehead, Wright, Welborne or Cary, it's easy enough to see what they are moving for in the used market.

After listening to the Paramours, I pretty sure that 2A3 works for me in a good way for way more than 90% of my listening. So if there is a genuine steal to run across something that floats my boat, I'd want to consider it. That's part of the ? about this amp. Who knows?

Regards,

10.gif

p.s.

So what are you listening to with KT88's? I enjoyed them in the Rocket 88. Pretty hard to beat them. Also, don't know if KT66's can be swapped out in every situation, but in the Cary they could and I thought they may have had a sweeter sound than the 88's. I've got a matched quad of Sovtek's if your interested. REALLY low hours.

----------------

On 7/9/2003 12:06:19 AM rf3iicrazy wrote:

In that case, I would suggest, don't be in a rush, wait on some Wrights or Moondogs to surface, most likely on Audiogon.

Tom

----------------

Yep, that's what I'm thinking, too.

I almost bet there better like Mike suggests I just have a feeling for some reason. There is a good bit more going on under the hood then in a Moondog. Kind of along the line of Jeffs Horus but not as extreme. Its hard to tell without a schematic to see what the items under there are doing. It looks like some coupling cap upgrades could be done also.

Craig

Dee,

Like I said in my e-mail - this is a pure crapshoot, and if you don't like them, the resale will be difficult because they are one of a kind.

My advice is that if you are going for a current available 2A3 - is buy the Wrights - New - Try them - you can send them back if you don't like them!

Remember the price you paid for audio gear is long forgotten whether you are happy or not with your purchase.1.gif

Dee, you really need to learn to make full use of your internet access and do some research before writing something off people here have almost zero information about.

Did you know the Japanese started this SET lunacy years ago? The Japanese are SET freaks. It's relatively new here compared to over there, where they have been doing it big time for years.

Good SET is about the iron -- it's responsible for 7/10's of what the amp does -- and these have outstanding iron. Looking at the pictures you can see that they are well laid out with good parts. These weren't thrown together by a weekend warrior.

You should at least engage the seller in some discourse before making up your mind.

Now, if 3.5 watts sounds "better" than 8 watts, than 2.5 should sound better than 3.5 -- and some will tell you the 45, with only 1.5 watts -- sounds better than all of them. Hell, you're down to nothing anyways -- why worry about a watt?

All that being said, you should know there are a set of Quicksilver M-60 monoblocks on Audiogon right now for $1100, and he needs to come down a little. Some feel it's his best sounding amp since the 8417. There are also a set of Silver Mono 90s. Those are tube rectified with KT-88's. Mike Sanders of Quicksilver owns Klipschorns. That, and the fact that I run them with no complaint or a desire to sell -- should give pause. You should call Quicksilver and talk to Mike. He usually picks up the phone on the 3rd ring. Ask him what he thinks.

Hey Deano,

Thanks for your post. Yep, making use of my resources is what I'm all about here. Also, I'm glad to know where this SET lunacy started anyway and the significance of the iron in the end result.

Your thought on engaging the seller is right, and I should said something about that in my posts. He has certainly been responsive on e-mail. He thinks these would fall somewhere between Wrights and Moondogs in quality and sound. And he is agreeable to the seller's return for refund, less shipping. He's selling because he wants to buy another prototype from the same designer.

One thing I hadn't mentioned in my posts, and probably should have, is that I'd requested that the seller fax the schematic. He says it will be included with the amps. He said he'd be happy to do it, but hasn't yet followed through or responded again. He may be busy with work or who knows what, but I'd certainly be interested to check in with him again to see if he'll follow through.

Thanks for the heads up on the Quicksilver units on Audiogon and Mike Sanders. I'll give him a call. Listens to Klipschorns, eh? I'll let you know how things develop.

Best regards,

Dee