ASL AV8 Wave?

Jeff,

For the price they are not bad.

I have a pair that I was using. I used them for a couple of months, before I bought a pair of Wrights.

I was going to use them in my bedroom system. But that has changed.

If you or anyone is interested I have the following:

2 AV-8 with covers($258), 4 Svetlana 6BM8 tubes ($60), 6 .47uF 450v Auricaps ($7.95 each only need four,Audio Notes AN Tant and Vishay/Dale Resistors($35, 2 Cardas CTFA Female RCA post ($9).

The caps and resistors are for the "Mon" upgrade.

I want $250 plus shipping. The values in the () are what I payed for them.

Danny

I was unimpressed with mine. They were completely stock. They were dead quiet and competent sounding. After an hour or 2, they seemed to get fuzzier sounding and never did have a clean, clear sound. I was actually relieved to put my Parasound 1203A back in.

They have a strong reputation and the tweaker swear they are great.

The Wave 8's are amazing little amps at the price.

I run the Antique Sound Lab AQ1003DT which is rated at 35 w/ch and it made my KLF30's rock. I recently bought a pair of Khorns the AQ not suprisingly drives the horns beautifully.

You can see the entire ASL lineup at: http://www.divertech.com

Other amplifiers etc. made by the factory that produces the ASL amps can be viewed at:

http://www.tubehifi.com

Outstanding offer Danny, that's one heck of a deal.

John, any insight into what was going on with those amps in your system? What preamp did you use? Any chance of an impedance mismatch?

Might be interesting to put those 8's on the horns only, and something a little more solid for the bottom.

That's what I thought.

I'm starting to sell stuff that I'm not going to use.

I want to upgrade the Mark III's.

The Waves sound good if you are using a tube preamp. If you are using a SS pre they sound pretty much what John described. I only hve a spare SS preamp. That's the only reason I'm not going to use the Waves in the bedroom.

Now if I could find someone that wants a pair of Lascalas for $450.

Danny

I used a pair of Wave 8s to drive various compression drivers---Altec 288s, 802s, 902s, JBL 2427s and 2420s. The system was bi-amped and the Waves were only fed signal from 500hz up. They sounded very, very good used like that. Very clean and clear with no nasties happening. I've no idea how they sound driven full range.

I also used to have an ASL integrated amp; MGS 1115 or some such thing--15 wpc with KT-88 tubes. Thing sounded very nice but was definately colored. It had a big warm sound, fat. Like Gibson a EB series bass compared to a Fender Jazz bass.

Danny,so you prefer the Cornwalls over the Scalas? I haven't seen a "for sale" listing for your Scalas here. I didn't even know you had them -- when did you end up with LaScalas?

Tom, I guess that means if the recording has a Gibson EB series bass in it, it sounds like a Gibson EB series bass. But if it's a Fender Jazz bass in the recording -- it sounds like a Gibson EB series. Just razzin you man1.gif

"Might be interesting to put those 8's on the horns only, and something a little more solid for the bottom."

Interestingly the Wave 8's I demo'd were driving M3 De Capo's which are relatively inefficient and the De Capos were sounding quite nice. The bass while not thunderous was more than adequate.

The Waves are sold. Thanks to everyone that responded.

I bought the Lascala's last August. I used them until December when I bought a pair of Cornwalls. I have been using the Cornwalls since.

I like both speakers, but after rewiring, changing out the binding posts and adding Deflex panels to the Cornwalls I just like them.

The sound is just totally different between the speakers. I kind of like the mid's a little better when using the Cornwalls.

This all may change when I get the MarkIIIs up and working.

The Lascalas sound great, but the cabinets need to be re-sanded and re-stained. They would not take much work, but I havent had the time yet. Hey I paid $500 for them. I knew that the cabinets needed work when I bought them.

If someone wants them great. If not I am going to redo them and maybe use one for a center speaker somewhere down the road.

My goal is to buy a pair of Khorns by this time next year. I just dont have the corners or room they deserve in my main 2 channel room today. I am going to redo my HT room early next year and that will probably become my 2 Channel room.

The Waves are not bad little amps. I used them with an AES preamp. I have had them hooked up to a pair of KLF20s, Heresys, and Lascalas. They sounded very good to me. I only had the original tubes in them for a little less than a week. I have only used them using the Svetlana tubes.

I will be hooking them up this weekend to the Cornwalls to make sure they are working.

Let me know if anyone is interested in the Lascalas. I really dont want to ship them. I would like the person to listen to them first. I didnt listen to the Cornwalls first and when I got them home both tweeters were blown. They rode in the back of a pickup trunk and I could have broke them for all I know. I dont want any hard feelings.

Oh yea for that price they also come with the dbflash homemade speaker platforms. They tighten up the bass and get the tweeters to ear level. A regular $80 value yours free.

I just figured out why I dont have any money. I buy high and sell low.

Danny