AAAH!...Blew Up My Stereo!

DLUngurait

Tom,

If you like to take it up past 100dbs, tubes & good SS, whats the difference,not much at those volumes.

I can not believe you said that ! I think 90% of SS gear on Klipsch Heritage sound absolutely drive you out of the room horrible at 100+ Db and beyond. Even the lowly old 299A with 17 WPC can easily churn out pleasing 105 Db with some pretty heavy music on my La Scala's. To even come close to these 20 watt vintage tube amps sound with SS you better be ready to spend near 2 grand at least in the new market.

Craig

I once dumped about 600 watts of McIntosh power into my Cornwalls without damaging them. I also shredded a LaScala woofer with a Mc 275. Go figure.

Odds are, your speakers are ok, but I would try out the amplifier with some cheap speakers first before hooking the horns back up. It could be putting out all manner of high power at frequencies you can't hear. I had a DAT recorder fail and send who knows what through a Crown DC-300a into the aforementioned Cornwalls. I have never seen tweeters so completely destroyed - the voice coils were separated, the diaphragms were burnt - and we never heard a thing.

I'd almost be inclined to take the preamp and amp into a repair shop just to make sure.

Tubes sound better because they do and that's all there is to it!9.gif

----------------

On 7/15/2003 8:20:53 PM BigBusa wrote:

The world of tubes isn't as spectacular and breathtaking as you've been lead to believe. The difference between a SS and a tube amp is minor. IMO you'll be severly disappointed chasing the wild goose that is the elusive, detailed, warm sounding tube amp.

Maybe so, maybe not so...

It's just a hobby.

A tube amp is just old outdated technology that has only been brought back from the dead because of years of myths and over glorified stories about these amps.

How long have Klipschorn's been around?

There is not too many folks in the 2chnl Forum using megawatt mono SS amps. I know there may be a few.

Seem's odd they like those outdated triode distortion devices with their Khorns.

Gee, how long have horn speakers been around?

Think about it, your Cornwalls are outdated technology.

I do agree there is mass overglorification.

hey are not what they are cracked up to be. I have been down that long, mysterious, unsatisfying road myself ...only to return to SS gear where I started in the first place.

Hello?!! It's all about preference!

I haven't found getting into tube amps unsatisfying, pretty much the opposite.

I listen to my music at lower levels, like other posters mention, tubes have a cleaner sound at low levels, IMO.

I had a Yamaha MX-1 and CX-1 pre/power amp with a pair of Chorus II.

220 watts per side. I cranked them up by accident and intentional. It's not Hi-Fi, especially near-feild.

Nail gun to the temples comes to mind.

Now I gather you have been here long enough to know that most the main lurkers around this Forum like tubes with their Klipsch speakers, preference or any other reasons.

So admit it, that post is nothing but mere trolling isn't it?

----------------

LASCALAS TAKE A LICKING...AND KEEP ON TICKING!!

Hooked up my La Scalas to my HT receiver last night and voila...THEY WERE FINE! I can't tell how relieved I was, I really thought that something was going to be blown. Although my Sony STR DE925 receiver is no match for my 20+ year old Onkyo Integra/Yamaha M-4 combo, it performed well enough last night that I was convinced that I could live with it for an extended period of time while saving up for something better.

Dave