Upgrade to push in spkeaker terminals?

dodger

Greetings:L

I have 2 Receivers, cousin has 2, that have the push open, insert speaker wire.

Does anyone know/have or can recommend an upgrade that not cause us to have to remove the original? Need to fit larger gauge speaker cable on the Receivers.

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Win dodger

If the backs come off the speaker or if you can remove the woofer, you could use a five way binding post. They will allow banana plugs which can take a much thicker gauge of wire. The part outside of the speaker takes a banana plug and the part inside is soldered to the wire that is attached to your current terminals.

You just drill a hole in the back (just big enough to fit), attach both parts of the binding post, screw the connections together, tighten, and then solder the wire from the old connection onto the new one. You could also replace the internal wire if you want. If you can solder even at a basic level and drill a hole, this is a relatively easy change.

----------------

On 7/16/2003 12:02:35 AM Johnny dB wrote:

Hello Win,

Did you get either of my emails I sent? I was wondering if you've come across the paperwork on the LaScalas, yet.

----------------

Hey John:

Now that we have the indoor levels in the basement down to what they say is safe, I can start looking. We are going to have to move , so that will speed up some of the process. Win

Do you or anyone elsed have an answer on how one can upgrade receiver spring loaded speaker terminals? The push in do not allow for heavy gauge wire. We ant to keep the units stock so it should be an add on style to spade, banana plug or tinned wire.

Thanks,

Win

This is my recommendation. I would take the largest SOLID gauge copper wire that would fit in your spring terminals and solder the 5 way binding posts on the other end.

I did this on an old receiver that I had. I used the standard width binding posts mounted to a thin board that I painted black. I soldered heavy gauge copper wire (like used in house electrical wiring) to the binding posts. I then figured out the spacing needed to go into the spring terminals and made the necessary bends. I then used heat shrink to insulate the wires. So what I ended up with was a neat little patch panel that I could insert into the spring terminals (this was tricky but a screwdriver to release the spring clips really helps). Because I used solid wire the panel didn't droop or sag. All this added depth to the back of the receiver so I would not recommend this if space is a concern.

Laters,

Dodger-

I think I understand your issue. You have a receiver that has a "spring loaded" termination point and you are trying to upgrade your wire to a diameter that doesn't fit in the hole. I ran into the same issue with my parent's 2-ch system with their older Denon receiver that also has the spring loaded terminals. Solution: we went to Circuit City and got the flex pin terminations and things went great. We didn't get the Monster brand as they were kinda pricey, but purchase as you see fit. We got ones that are twist-on with a rubber sleeve and they worked like a charm.

Circuit City

Here are some similar options at Best Buy.

Best Buy #1

Best Buy #2

Best Buy #3

The Monster QuickLock is a neat idea as it would allow someone to swap out between pin, spade, and banana connectors without having to reterminate. However, it also forces you to buy the QuickLock terminations where all the different connectors to snap onto, and that increases the cost significantly. Still, a cool idea if you are swapping cables around a bunch. Both BB and CC have them.

You may want ones that flex so you can run your wires however you see fit, rather than stiff pins like the 60 degree Monster ones, but I don't know your situation.

As a side note, being a geeky engineer, we also used self-vulcanizing tape to seal the rubber sleeve to the wire insulation. The tape forms an airtight seal to prevent air getting in to oxidize the wire. See the benefits to working on rockets?!?

Note: Home Depot doesn't seem to carry much in the way of good audio connectors any more, so it's probably worth going to CC, BB, or maybe Radio Shack, though I don't remember seeing the flex pins there.

Hope this helps.

Edit: Looks like Doc beat me to the punch as I was researching CC and BB. Sorry I didn't make these links as executible. Still learning all my HTML.

Radio Shaft carries terminals for cables which will do just what you want. You just strip the ends of your jumbo cable, fit the sleeve end of one of the pins over it and crimp it down. (I always solder mine, just to be sure, but I'm kind of crazy that way.) You can cut the ends of the terminal plugs down a bit, if they stick out too far.