What's the dumbest thing...?

Geo1

What's the dumbest thing you ever did with your equipment? The piece of gear you didn't buy that's now a classic; the ridiculous "tweak" you tried; the gear you got rid of; etc. I'll start off and I doubt anyone will be able to top this. On another thread, someone asked what everyone's first serious pair of speakers was. I said that mine was a pair of JBL L-150's, bought in 1981. Well, after about 10 years or so, I sort of got tired of those two huge pieces of furniture in my family room, so I advertised them and sold them for $500. They were in perfect shape. I took that money and replaced those beautiful pieces of black walnut furniture with a Bose Acoustimass system. Yup, I fell for the hype and the advertising and did what is probably the stupidest thing it's possible to do in the audio world. I regretted it almost immediately and have regretted it ever since.8.gif

I can't really top that but if you ask me next week I might say my biggest blunder was buying a Mcintosh MX-110 tuner/preamp from a guy named Yuri in Brooklyn who said (in very broken english) that its first owner was Jimmy Paige of Led Zepplin.

Sold a pair of original series B&W 801f speakers for paltry change to "move up" to VMPS SuperTower II A/r Special Edition speakers. B&W's just couldn't play dynamically enough. I thought.

Used an Adcom GFA555 amp bridged into mono (600 watts into 8 ohms, over 900 into 4 ohms) to drive a lovely little Dalquist SW-1 subwoofer, which was rated at maximum continuous input of 75 watts. Figured a little bit of headroom never hurt anyone. Wound up melting voice coil former and ruining sub.

Gary: ROTFLMAO! Which makes me realize that this can be broken down into categories. There are dumb things that make you laugh and dumb things that make you cry. There are things that might seem to be dumb on the way in, but turn out to be strokes of genius and things that seem to be genius on the way in and turn out to be, shall we say, less than genius after the dust has settled. Only time will tell how yours turns out. Good luck!

----------------

On 7/17/2003 10:18:08 AM Geo1 wrote:

Gary: ROTFLMAO! Which makes me realize that this can be broken down into categories. There are dumb things that make you laugh and dumb things that make you cry. There are things that might seem to be dumb on the way in, but turn out to be strokes of genius and things that seem to be genius on the way in and turn out to be, shall we say, less than genius after the dust has settled. Only time will tell how yours turns out. Good luck!

----------------

Thanks GEO. I may need some luck with this one. I would have included his last name in the post but I ran out of memory.

I tossed my Large Advents 6.gif that I bought in college because the foam had rotted after about 8 years. 8.gif I really just wanted an excuse to buy new speakers. 1.gif Their replacement: Polk Monitor 5. 2.gif Over a short time, I hated those speakers. 7.gif That metal dome tweeter drilled right through my head. 14.gif So I gave them away. 9.gif

I have learned my lesson. 16.gif

(Gary, I would do everything possible to have Paige autograph that Mac!!! Even if it is the inside of the bottom plate if there is one.)

----------------

On 7/17/2003 3:07:15 PM Klipschfoot wrote:

I tossed my Large Advents
6.gif
that I bought in college because the foam had rotted after about 8 years.
8.gif
I really just wanted an excuse to buy new speakers.
1.gif
Their replacement: Polk Monitor 5.
2.gif
Over a short time, I hated those speakers.
7.gif
That metal dome tweeter drilled right through my head.
14.gif
So I gave them away.
9.gif

I have learned my lesson.
16.gif

(Gary, I would do everything possible to have Paige autograph that Mac!!! Even if it is the inside of the bottom plate if there is one.)

----------------

I'll carry it with me to his next concert. I'm sure he'll recognize it! lol If I can get him to come out to the house for a listening session, I'll give you a buzz and you can join us. That is if I ever get it! Supposedly it's on the way. Yuri emailed me a tracking # tonight that comes up invalid. He says it won't show up on the system until tomorrow.

One of the dumbest things I ever did was trade in a $1500 Nakamichi DRAGON cassette deck for a cheaper-quality $600 Yamaha 3-head recorder, just because I didn't like the Dolby Noise Reduction "pumping" effect when playing tapes recorded by the Nak on other decks (all cassette decks mistracked somewhat, but I didn't realize that until it was too late). I had the Yamaha for a year and a week until the transport mechanism completely died on it (and the warranty had expired), and it cost more to fix than the deck was worth, so I donated it to Goodwill.