Blown Cornwall Woofer?

tidmack

Hi all,

I haven't experienced a blown driver on either of pairs of LaScala's or my pair of Cornwalls. . .until maybe today. I was cleaning the house and had my tunes up fairly loud, but not at ear bleeding levels with the Cornwalls. Until today, the Cornwalls have been sitting in a bedroom because of space issues, but I thought I'd swap them with a pair of LaScalas for a change of scenery.

Anyways, I noticed that one woofer made a "click" sound on heavier bass notes. Keep in mind that the music was pretty loud, but I've played them much louder without issue. The other woofer performed flawlessly at all levels, and the woofer in question only made noise at higher levels. Did my cone detach from the voice coil? If so, can I still get Cornwall I woofers (k33 I believe)? Any help is appreciated and if further info is needed, just let me know. Thanks!

Jeff

'84 Cornwalls

'83 LaScalas

'84 LaScalas

MC-2100

MC-2105

MX-113

Harman Kardon CDr2

Marantz 6300 Turntable

Woofers make a click or clank when bottoming out when pushed to hard.

This can particularly happen if there are infra sonics, very low bass, in the music.

My guess is that there is minimal damage if they sound normal at lower listening levels.

I'd say you might see the excursion problem if you can take the grill off. But I understand this is not possible with the CW.

Gil

----------------

On 7/19/2003 5:33:57 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Woofers make a click or clank when bottoming out when pushed to hard.

This can particularly happen if there are infra sonics, very low bass, in the music.

My guess is that there is minimal damage if they sound normal at lower listening levels.

I'd say you might see the excursion problem if you can take the grill off. But I understand this is not possible with the CW.

Gil

----------------

Possible. Just like the heresy, it depends on the year. My 80s come off and so will his 84s. I believe mid 70s they became removable.

Sounds like your woofer is toast.

A new K33 is about $130, a local re-cone should be about half that. The part number for the re-cone kit is Eminence #15162.

Since the Cornwall is ported, any real power below the box tuning frequency can cause woofer damage from over excursion. Some CDs can cause this.

I see you have a turntable.

A turntable is death to a ported speaker when used with a high power amplifier.

A 30hz filter with a Q=1 will take care of the sub-sonic nasties, it goes between the preamp and the power amps.

Audio Control EQs have a 20hz filter that can be easily modified, or the EV Interface and Sentry EQ boxes can be changed too(two resistors per channel). These show up on eBay all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3035522635&category=3292

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2545630181&category=23788

Thanks to all who replied!! In response to djk, I didn't realize spinning vinyl would hurt my cornwalls. Although I don't hear any noticable distortion when listening, I'm not shy with my Klipsch. . .I play 'em loud. After reading djk's reply, I'm not suprised that I may have cooked the woofer playing a lot of vinyl with the SS Macs. Seriously, I greatly appreciate everyone's help whenever I need it. Take care

Jeff

The initial 'Jitter Bug' scenes of 'Mulholland Drive' shook something loose on one of my Forte II woofers 8.gif (used as mains). I don't currently have a sub-woofer, but I NOW have the preamp setup as if a did, crossed as 40Hz (I can't set the cross point with any great precision). I was able to cut the edge of the dust cap and shake out whatever was bouncing around, but I never actually found the culprit...