Denon DVD-3800 vs. DVD-2900 Which Would You Buy

Frzninvt

Doug,

Honestly, I have not even looked at it since I was looking primarily for a Denon DVD player to match my Denon recevier. Denon DVD's normally are at the top of the list but all these issues with them worries me. I have to look at the Yamaha player and see what it has to offer.

Hmm...unless I'm missing something, it looks like about a draw:

"(WRT to the Denon 2900) For people looking for a combo SACD/DVD-A player with top-notch progressive video, this is competitive with the Yamaha DVD-S2300 player we looked at a few months ago. It exceeds it in some areas, like chroma delay, and doesn't do as well in a couple of areas mentioned above."

Home Theate Magazine had a positive review of the 2300, as did S&V. http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/PDFs/8698_wrve2.pdf

(But, does S&V ever give a bad review?)

I had the Yam 2300, as well as the 3800 and now the 2900. All are good players, I went with the 2900 in the end because of versatility over the 3800, and what, to my eras, was better sound than the Yam. I will say all 3 are great players though.

----------------

On 7/24/2003 8:57:50 AM cultrain88 wrote:

If I could do it over I would have gone with the Marantz 8400.

Cultrain88

----------------

Don't feel too bad the 8400 is gettin' a reputation of its own of having poor video quality.

I have read this also about the 8400. The benchmark test on the Marantz didn't fair to well. But as for quality of picture, I viewed the marantz on a few occasions, but never had the chance to bring it home for a test ride. I enjoy the quality of the Denon 2900 and feel it has alot to offer. If I had it my way, I'd have the Denon 9000 on my rack. But, the kids still need to eat. HeHe

2.gif

FWIW, Klipsch has the 2900 in their main HT room, where all of us "pilgrims" watched "Ronin" and heard DSOTM on SACD. I stuck around afterwards and was really interested in how the setup was, as I have read numerous "problems" with the unit on AVS forum. Sounds like it wasn't bad to set up at all, and (sorry I forget the gentleman's name) he said that the bass management "issue" isn't one. Yes, it takes some time to set it up correctly, but it was sounding quite good to me. I truly think some people over at AVS may not have understood what the player can do (please no flames.) Not that I have tried, since I don't own one, but more and more folks have given the unit a good review.

I think the folks at Secrets should be posting a review of the 2900 soon, and maybe that will help clear up some of the confusion. I have been very pleased with my DVD-2500, and my parents bought the DVD-1600 last year. I'll probably look at either the 2900 or 3900 when it comes time to upgrade to HDTV/progressive scan. BTW, I have read that redbook CD playback on the 2900 is outstanding, on par with expensive CD-only players.