Extended Warranty on Speakers themselves??

pinipig523

I just bought 4 yamaha floorstanding speakers and was just wondering if buying a warranty would be advisable. the warranty is for 5 years. i got a REAL good deal on the yammys and the warranty does seem a bit costly in comparison to the price i paid. the man at bestbuy was drilling me to buy it, but my gut instinct is it isnt worth it.

speakers do not have anything electrical and are pretty much safe unless they are lemons or are overdriven. so am i right to say that the extended warranty isnt worth it for speakers? i bought a warranty on my infinity 12inch sub but mostly because i tend to turn it up loud, and since it has internal electrical components - it has a much higher likelihood of breaking within the next ten years (yep, warranty is for 10 years).

but even so, im thinking about returning my subs warranty - because i know im craving an svs pci-25-31... i might end up upgrading sooner than i would like9.gif .

It seems to me that if something is defective with a speaker, it will show up almost immediately, certainly within the manufacturers warranty period. I can't ever see myself buying an extended warranty on a speaker.

You might want to do a search of the archives on extended warranties. There has been quite a bit of discussion in the not too distant past.

As for extended warranties on speakers in general, ignoring electronics which have been covered in other posts, if you blow a speaker, it is a pretty good bet that the warranty will not cover the repair costs. The warranty company will claim that the damage is a result of abuse and refuse to pay for it.

Yamahas come with a 2 year warranty. The best buy warranty for $29 bucks adds 4 years too that, making it 6 years total for $29. Bestbuy does cover blown speakers. If you blown them, bring them in and get a new set. Manufacturers do not cover blow speakers usually, and you have to go through the hassel of finding/shipping to a repair shop.

Speakers, big screens, and laptops are the 3 things in Bestbuy that the warranty is almost a no brainer.

"Speakers, big screens, and laptops are the 3 things in Bestbuy that the warranty is almost a no brainer."

Extended warrantees are a ripoff pure and simple. They are not warrantees at all in reality. They are merely grossly overpriced insurance policies that have so many if ands or buts built into them that the insured collects if and only if the insurer decides to give the insured a break.

They are a bad deal ....Period!