Tempest subwoofer done!! INSANE!!

fire pinch

Pretty simple really:

Radioshack Digital dB Meter ( max output settings / c weighting / response fast )

BTW: THE meter maxes out at 126dB and during the "booms" it was peaking over the 126 number without actually giving me the number so my estimate is slightly over 126 dB maybe 1 or 2 dB higher

The sub was placed inside my closet with the doors open

PM THX 5.1 Subwoofer:

Before Distortion/ Port Noise is in (Brackets)

26.37 Hz @ ( 84 dB ) 90 dB @ optimal listening position(other corner) / 101 dB @ 1m peak SPL (close to closet)

41.02 Hz @ ( 104 dB ) 107 dB @ optimal listening position(other corner) / 115 dB @ 1m peak SPL (close to closet)

the 53.83 Hz number was for a short burst and it really did hurt my ears. (this is the freq the sub can play loudest.) (the 126 db number is not real world usage obviously as you would burn the amp in 2 minutes- also if i put it louder it was reaching voice coil limits/excursion) Nevertheless? if that 5.1 sub can do 84 dB usable at 26.37 Hz imageine what the ultra can do considering its a mulimedia sub I dont think thats too bad!

:)

10.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To keep this thread going(a la Hofy)...

WOW you maxed a Rat Shack SPL meter with a multimedia sub! LOL

Try to max the meter at 31.5Hz,listening position then we will talk.

Try to best 110dB at 20Hz,always listening position.

Until then a PeaSee "sub" is just a PeaSee sub.1.gif

----------------

On 10/10/2003 7:57:37 PM TheEAR wrote:

To keep this thread going(a la Hofy)...

WOW you maxed a Rat Shack SPL meter with a multimedia sub! LOL

Try to max the meter at 31.5Hz,listening position then we will talk.

Try to best 110dB at 20Hz,always listening position.

Until then a PeaSee "sub" is just a PeaSee sub.
1.gif

----------------

Well EAR 2.gif , LIKE i said before Thats impossible, of course its a PEASEE SUB!. You have to admit just being able to do those numbers that not bad for a PEASEE sub, when compareing to the competition which can barely break 110dB at the same frequency! And you still haven't answered my question on how you think the ultra sub will compare to some cheaper HT subs:P

"how you think the ultra sub will compare to some cheaper HT subs"

What is your definition of a "cheaper HT sub"?

Mine is any subwoofer under $500US.This includes the PolkAudio PSW404 and 505(it can be purchased well below SRP).Klipsch RW10 and 12,Reel(no not REL) RSW1012 and 1215.All INEXPENSIVE and CHEAP HT subs.

Well they will move more air and provide more deep bass output.Twin 8" woofers(and with no extra Sunfire like cone travel)can only do so much.

For a PC speaker sub the PM 5.1 Ultra sub is very impressive.For HT use it would just do ok.For serious HT use it DOES NOT CUT IT.

And to me any sub below $1000 means INEXPENSIVE...soooooo I would have to bring in a HSU VTF3...a SVS PC-Plus...you start to get the picture a one sided wupping with no end in sight.

And when I take out my BIG gun subs ...HE HE try as a Pea See "sub" might its a Ford Festiva soda can VS a King Tiger tank in a WHO CRUSHES WHO BATTLE.You can predict who will get whiplashed.2.gif Or the festiva driver totting a puny hand gun VS the King Tiger's 88mm main gun(I did not want to give the Festiva driver a too big disadvatage by pinning him against a Abrams M1

battle tank 1.gif )

See I am fair

----------------

On 10/10/2003 11:01:18 PM Manuel Delaflor wrote:

Swerv

Can you do a graph from 25Hz up to 100Hz in 1/6 octave increment? That would really illustrate its response. Oh, and you can do it with a reference point of 90dB at 100Hz, we don't want you to destroy your ears
2.gif

----------------

That's a great idea, however, I don't think I'd pick a reference point that high. Just to be safe and make sure he doesn't fry something1.gif, I'd do something like 75dB. Swerve if you do want to do this with a RS SPL meter and Microsoft Excel, just download the chart below and plug in the numbers into the RAW SPL column. It will automatically compensate for the meters inaccuracies. I'd be interested in seeing what it looks like.

Chart

THANK YOU SO MUCH WITH that graph its JUST what I was looking for! Really appreciated. Actually as soon as my Ultra set comes in I will be doing a detailed comparison review between the two sets. uncluding:

Various different types of music and selected peices (about 2 of each music type plus many DVDs:

Mp3 / CD Testing

Foobar2000

and

Winamp 2.9 beta2

Input: MAD Plug-in 0.14.2b

Output: Waveout 2.02a SSRC

Games Used For Testing:

Microsoft Flight Sim 2004

Battlefield 1942 / Desert Combat

Quake 3: Arena

Warcraft 3

Breakdown of each game and how the sound compared to each other and similarly priced systems

And of course DVD Testing, with:

CyberLink's Power DVD 5

I will also include numbers and charts of freq resp. for the two systems.

It should be about 7-8 pages in length when all said and done, without any useless background and extensive specsheets etc. It will be mostly subjective tests

I'll post a link when its all uploaded , thanks to Justin for hosting it.

Any feedback after its posted would be greatly appreciated, Thanks again!

Ed

I have completed some frequency charts for the original promedia 5.1 sub, and all I can say is , WOW. It is alot flatter than I thought it would be( at least for a PEASEA SPEAKER SUB).

I used SpectraPLUS FTT Spectral Analysis System Software

Radioshack Digital dB Meter ( max output settings / c weighting / response fast )

NCH Tone Generator.

Here are my results thus far: @ 1 meter from port, no distortion or port noise.

At a Reference of 90 dB at 100 Hz the sub remained flawless from 100 hz all the way down to 36 Hz remained almost perfectly FLAT +/- 2-3 db. which is quite unbelievable for a mulimedia sub. Very impressive indeed. At 30 Hz it was down 5 db from the reference point. At 25hz it was down 11 dB not makeing that frequency very usefull unless doing single tone tests. or watching dvds at insane volume levels.

If the Pm.5'1s gave these results, I can just imagine what numbers the ultra will bring. Flat bass from the 5.1's, im floored. ( this is not takeing into account room acoustic since it was measured one meter from port.)9.gif

actually it was my 5.1's which died on me not the ultras, im getting the ultras as a replacement from klipsch, which should arrive in the end of the month or early nov.

I'm still able to use my friends 5.1s for the purpose of the review, even though he hates me for it :)

Swerv,

I'm pretty sure you want the meter set to SLOW response, not fast. I'll check another forum and get back to you. Could make a huge difference in SPL I would imagine.

My dual Tempest hit a little over 127dB @ 1 meter at 31.5Hz, which means it's about the same as your Klipsch PC sub. Find that kinda hard to believe....

Swerv,

Take it easy there. I have been accused of being blind more than once, as I referee kids hockey and some coaches don't always like the calls I make.

I just reread your post for the 3rd time, and this time the 53Hz did sink in, although you didn't mention it being a PEAK SPL, so I assumed sustained, my bad.

Looks like I won't have to sell off the dual Tempest for the little Klipsch monster after-all 9.gif

I will post my full 8 page review compareing them to the 5.1s when shortly after I get my ultras, apparently even though My 5.1 set has been defective for over a month, klipsch isnt in any kind of hurry to get me a replacement. Apparently my replacement hasnt arrived in north america yet, let alone canada....

I will post the review with the charts when I do get them... eventually....

ear,

coming from firsthand experience, i agree that the ford festiva may have some problems facing off with a 72 ton M1A1 main battle tank.

although a smaller/faster target than say a T72, i still could put a round through the driver's door at 3000 meters in the dark from my override.

just thought i would up the numbers on this post9.gif