If money were no object...

chuckears

What if you had unlimited funds to spend on a home theater room... say, if you won Powerball at some ridiculus multi-million dollar amount (no, I haven't; just daydreaming...).

What components would you put together in a dedicated home theater room? Projector, HT Processor, Amp(s), projector, cables, etc.

Please base the speaker system on Klipsch (though perhaps not the subwoofer system), to stay somewhat on topic...

well, I'm going to have to be the first to go anti klipsch. if I had unlimited funds they would deffinatly not be my first choice. I believe I would go with Avant Garde Trio Classic speakers, the cary audio CAD-211M monoblock tube amplifiers, the flagship Burmester sound works cd player, and a cary audio tube pre amp.

Follow-up:

Regarding the speakers on the Dream System; are four K-Horns (mains and surrounds), a Belle (center), and two Heresy's (rear surrounds) overkill? Mainly, I am wondering if the surround Klipschorns would ever be fully utilized, or if room acoustics would be messed up with "battling K-Horns" in the corners...

And how large would the room need to be to get the most out of this set-up?

since this is the home theatre thread.....

this would be high on my list.... if not my first home theatre room...maybe my second room...you know for casual movie watching.....

http://www.jbl.com/home/synthesis/productlist.asp?SerId=Syn6

one of my dealer customers actually sells these systems.... about 10 to 12 a year.... you just specify the room colors and how many cupholders that you want in your theatre chairs.... their rooms start at $100,000 and go up from there...

prodj101, a local retailer has the Avant Garde speakers you mentioned. I didn't know anything about them and in the shop I didn't really notice them until I went home and did some research and saw the price tag. Wow. I take it I should go back and ask for a demo?

----------------

On 7/28/2003 9:51:45 PM minn_male42 wrote:

this would be high on my list.... if not my first home theatre room...maybe my second room...you know for casual movie watching.....

one of my dealer customers actually sells these systems.... about 10 to 12 a year.... you just specify the room colors and how many cupholders that you want in your theatre chairs.... their rooms start at $100,000 and go up from there...

----------------

Oh sure, but how does it sound?

My god, can you imagine how much air you could move with that 18" sub, with the S800 (bridged) driving it? Nail down anything lighter than ten pounds...

"Oh sure, but how does it sound?"

i got a chance to hear "the room" for about 20 minutes..... better than any theatre i've ever been in..... simply incredible!!!!

the speakers had a great sound..... i could see myself building a two channel music system based upon those jbls....

(now if i could find a great 800 watt tube amplifier.......)

----------------

On 7/28/2003 10:43:05 PM minn_male42 wrote:

"Oh sure, but how does it sound?"

i got a chance to hear "the room" for about 20 minutes..... better than any theatre i've ever been in..... simply incredible!!!!

the speakers had a great sound..... i could see myself building a two channel music system based upon those jbls....

(now if i could find a great 800 watt tube amplifier.......)

----------------

I believe VTL makes tube amps in the 1,000 watt plus range, not sure if they still do though. I know their newest flagship is 750 watts.

----------------

On 7/28/2003 10:51:54 PM prodj101 wrote:

I believe VTL makes tube amps in the 1,000 watt plus range, not sure if they still do though. I know their newest flagship is 750 watts.

----------------

and as an added side benefit, i could heat my house just by listening to my system.....

seriously..... does VTL have a website?.... would be very interesting....

although...right now..... i'm having a hard time believing i can get get a better sound from my KLF-30's than i'm hearing right now with 17 watts per channel on my dynaco sca-35....

I'm impressed that the new Toshiba is the only set which displays the highest definition of HDTV in progressive scan.

It can't get better than that. On the other hand, any lesser resolution is going to be a compromise. This means I'll not be buying anything until that level of technology comes down in price.

Gil

----------------

On 7/28/2003 10:38:37 PM chuckears wrote:

Oh sure, but how does it sound?

----------------

Well it comes with what I believe is one of the best audio accessories around... an Acoustician ! In my opinion, the two most important audio components is speakers and the actual room.

Given that this system is installed, tested and balanced on site gives it a true advantage, covering both variables.

That is my opinion though... 2.gif

Rob

----------------

On 7/28/2003 11:10:09 PM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 7/28/2003 10:51:54 PM prodj101 wrote:

----------------

and as an added side benefit, i could heat my house just by listening to my system.....

seriously..... does VTL have a website?.... would be very interesting....

although...right now..... i'm having a hard time believing i can get get a better sound from my KLF-30's than i'm hearing right now with 17 watts per channel on my dynaco sca-35....

----------------

www.vtl.com I think. I got to be one of the first to use their new reference monoblocks at a screening at the super high end place near me (45,000 per pair). they were hooked up to a pair of 21,000$ B&W nautilus 800's, with the top of the line VTL pre amp, and various other high end components. total list price for the 2 channel system was around 80-90 grand 9.gif . sounded pretty good, I never cared much for the sound of the B&W's though.