My first tube experience!

----------------

On 7/30/2003 1:13:59 PM DeanG wrote:

Bass doesn't drill a hole through your head. Scraping treble has nothing to do with what I think about the bass.

The bass is large and powerful, but somewhat muddled during complex passages. I just don't consider the K-horn's bass to be 'articulate' or 'fast' --especially compared to the KLF-20/30's or the RF-7's. If you want to hear what "real" fast bass is -- you have to sit in front of some good planars.

----------------

Dean

shut yo mout

Next time you are in Chicago you are invited. And YOU will be the one to be ENLIGHTENED as to what a Khorn's bass articulation is really like. AND what FAST REALLY means.

And another thing.......

----------------

On 7/30/2003 1:13:59 PM DeanG wrote:

If you want to hear what "real" fast bass is -- you have to sit in front of some good planars.

----------------

Are u a damn moron? Planars don't have fast bass. Those are some of the "slowest" muddiest pieces of crap on the low end that I can think of!

I PLAY THE BASS DAMN IT! I KNOW WHAT ONE SOUNDS LIKE. AND THOSE THINGS DON'T EVEN COME CLOSE

I wrote a post and it probably got deleted.

I worked with Heresey Industrials from 1977 to 1982 when i did sound for a 3 piece accostic rock group.

Never with tubes it would have been intersting.

I have never heard K Horns and have no idea when I will get the chance.

Arto,

You are a class act you have the Yamaha T-2

Too cool of a tuner!

Thanks Rick. Yeap. It's one of the very best. Not many people are aware of that. WFMT here in Chicago uses one to monitor their signal. And another, in Frankfort, IL to pick up their signal for beam-up to world-wide satellite distribution. They also have a Marantz 10B. I wanted to buy it from them. They said "we are aware of its value & have no intention of parting with it."

I never said Planer bass was accurate -- I said it was "fast", and it is. It's simple physics. No 15" incher can do what a low mass membrane can do. I owned Magnepans for a long, long time -- you get them on a good amp and they'll boogie. You can follow the bass lines through the busiest sh!t. I sure hope K-horns fair better than Cornwalls in this regard.

----------------

On 7/31/2003 9:38:34 PM DeanG wrote:

I never said Planer bass was accurate -- I said it was "fast", and it is. It's simple physics. No 15" incher can do what a low mass membrane can do. I owned Magnepans for a long, long time -- you get them on a good amp and they'll boogie. You can follow the bass lines through the busiest sh!t. I sure hope K-horns fair better than Cornwalls in this regard.

----------------

Dean, Thats BULL****. Don't try & get out this one. If maggies were that fast they wouldn't sound so damn muddy on the low end. And as far as maggies go, they can blow that so-called 'low mass membrane' theory out the old a$$. The membrane itself maybe light. But the voice coil is essentially strung back & forth all over the whole membrane surface. And because its a planar membrane, it cannot possibly drive the entire surface evenly as claimed because the tension increases as you approach the edges were it is secured. Not to mention that they are dipole radiators & have all kinds of cancellations as the bass goes deeper.

And if you don't believe me, maybe you should ask Mike Sanders of Quicksilver Audio. You like his amps, right? It's no coincidence that Sanders was an engineer at Magnepan many years ago but I'll give one guess what speakers he's been using a reference, and for his own listening pleasure the last 20 years.

As for being able to "follow the busiest basslines", I'm the bass player & I'll be the judge of that thank you. There's more to a bass than notes my friend.

All Magnapans I have seen have never been hooked up.

So I can not say what they sound like. If the Martin Logan technology is as similar as I think(of course the have a low cone driver under XXX hz)...Yuck and over priced.

Arto's point is some of us have real instrument knowledge.

As a sound man for Rock bands eons ago i never worried about the bass player. They were concientious and I never had enough inputs to mike them properly. We went with 1 15 or a couple of 12s set his level duing the sound check and they left it alone.

I really cannot remember what a real bass sounds like.

Guitar players were always jerking around during the show and you were chasing them around in the mix. Too quiet, too loud, wrong pickup, accidently hit the tone knoob on the guitar...and on and on.

But I remember the accoustic guitar sound better than electric.

---------------

Next point.

I have a drum kit in the basement; below average kit.

3 pieces are high quality.

Snare, Paiste ride and Paiste Crash.

I may not know what a good Tom or bass drum sounds like; BUT cymbals and snare I have down pat. Almost as good as a Martin D 28 guitar.

--------------------

Paper cones are pretty fast.

Maybe they are more expensive to make than the Klipsch Reference cones in todays market.

It would be interesting to know.

-------------------

LAST

If AARTO has a comment on Bass guitar. He probably knows what the frik he is talking about!

Not many people on this forum(or anywhere) have walked the same path in the Chicago Blues environment as Art.

Never seen a Blues band without a bass...