My first tube experience!

Heresies singing like never before!

While waiting for my Bottlehead Paraglow kit to arrive ... I visited ebay and decided to pick up a pair of (very inexpensive) EICO HF-12A monoblock amplifiers ... oh my!

If this is any indication, I am going to be so pleased with the Paraglows!

Amazing! My Klipsch Heresy speakers are singing like they have never sung before! They have been waiting patiently for two decades ... and I finally satiated their thirst for tube power!

Woo hoo!

You've been enlightened! I grew up listening to my dad's EICO ST35 integrated amp (EL84). When I first started buying gear as a teen, it was all solid state and through the years (about 35 in total) included some pricey stuff (GAS, Threshold, Krell).

My first tube amps were Quicksilver 8417 monoblocks in 1989. WOW!!!! There was no going back to s-s.

After about 10 years, I heard SET and preferred that to push-pull tube amps, but there's a lot of fine p-p tubes amps out there.

I think you will "rediscover" your music collection. The Heresys are fine speakers, but don't be surprised if you find yourself wanting to taste the complete horn systems.

Regards,

Mike

"You've been enlightened!"

Nice pun Mike.

Heresies are underrated, the big stuff is overrated. I wish I still had the Heresies -- they be so very sweet.

It will be interesting to see what conclusions you reach after comparing the Eicos to the Paraglows.

Similar journey to mine ... I've been around the horn from Big Macs to tiny Wrights, and for me, SET is the ultimate destination.

I've been listening to quite a bit of larger Klipsch gear recently with Leo ... His RF-7s are very fine with his tricked-out Moondogs (cobalt OPT and parafeed mod), but those Chorus II's are just stunning. I can't quite seem to get the sound out of my head. Very similar to the Klipschorn's tight, fast bass.

I need to pull the Heresies into the living room and give them a listen with the SET gear. Very easy to do since they're small. A good friend of mine was just asking me about the smaller Klipsch offerings yesterday.

Weekend activity!

While, I have not done an A/B comparison side by side,

I do have a set of Cornwalls at work (driven by 8 watt tube

monobloc amps) and Heresy IIs at home (always driven by a

175 watt carver SS amp).

The Cornwalls actually sound bigger. The Heresys always sounded

very dynamic and powerful, but not as "large" or as detailed

as the my newly acquired Cornwalls seem to sound.

I have a nine-month old so the tubes amps will stay at work, but it

makes me also wonder if there is additional depth and clarity

in the Heresy IIs that I have been missing all these years because

of the solid state amps. A somewhat disturbing thought. I don't

think I have seen many on the forum using carver amps, is there

a reason for this?

- Lee

The Heresies image better (smaller front baffle), and don't resonate (absensce of long, non-braced panels). They sound 'faster', and more open to me. This compared to the Cornbreadwalls. My only experiences with LaScrapas and K-honks have been bad headaches and earbleed -- this with solid state amps.

"...Klipschorn's tight, fast bass."

With all due respect Chris, but this certainly isn't how I would characterize the bass of the K-horn.

Bass doesn't drill a hole through your head. Scraping treble has nothing to do with what I think about the bass.

The bass is large and powerful, but somewhat muddled during complex passages. I just don't consider the K-horn's bass to be 'articulate' or 'fast' --especially compared to the KLF-20/30's or the RF-7's. If you want to hear what "real" fast bass is -- you have to sit in front of some good planars.

Thanks for the post glimmertwin. I will be interested to see a post when you get the Paraglows running.

On the Heresy being underrated. That is definitely true. I got Scalas before Heresy's. Got the Heresy's for a fixer upper project and have been amazed at how good they sound. When listening to them, I sometimes wonder, they sound so good, why do I think I need La Scalas. Well, then I listen to the La Scala again and find the sound bigger, more live presence, just somewhat more majestic. In a way it's a relief, because I know if I move into smaller quarters and need a smaller footprint, I won't feel too bad about having Heresy's. I don't know what a fair comparison would be to express what a Heresy actually delivers... 80-85% of what I get from La Scala? Maybe more. That is hard to assign a number there, I just have to say that the Heresy is substantially satisfactory. And in addition to that, listening to music for enjoyment instead of listening too much with a critical ear... I'm often needing just to relax and enjoy and give up the continual desire to tweak and improve. It's all to easy to take the joy our of enjoyment.

Regards,

Dee

With all due repect, the crap you listen to would make my ears bleed coming from ANY source or speaker. The "big" Klipsch Heritage speakers were designed by PWK to reproduce MUSIC, not NOISE.

What's really scary is that I seem to be turning into my father as I approach 50.

LOL

Today's crap is tomorrow's classic

Truthfully though, some of that stuff only sounds kind of rough with a lot of juice. It actually sounds pretty darn good as long as you don't get carried away -- you know, anything much above 80db. 9.gif

----------------

On 7/30/2003 1:32:40 PM Allan Songer wrote:

With all due repect, the crap you listen to would make my ears bleed coming from ANY source or speaker. The "big" Klipsch Heritage speakers were designed by PWK to reproduce MUSIC, not NOISE.

What's really scary is that I seem to be turning into my father as I approach 50.

----------------

I do not mean to start a controversy. However, whether it is Rock, Classical, Jazz, Hip-Hop, Blues, it is all music.

Music is compromised of notes - on any instrument, with or without any distortion to begin with, or deliberately introduced later.

As I have already hit Fifty (50), I still remember the words of my Mother (an Eastman School Graduate - with a dual scholarship for violin and viola)

"listen to it try to understand what the composer wants to convey, listen to what the lyricist is also putting into words and put yourself in their place for five (5) minutes. Then decide whether you like or dislike the music that you are hearing.

Those words were echoed by my Father who played trumpet and Harmonica.

Thus, we may not like what we're hearing, but it is music.

My Mother was offered First Chair for the NY Philharmonic, turned it down because of dis-placing the children, but could fiddle country and even blues in a Minor that would turn your soul.

With perfect pitch, even to her eighties (80s), she not play the violin as sweet as a 10 pound bag of sugar. Listening to her play "Ave Maria" and "Silent Night" was nirvana.

I still cannot get through the first verse of "Silent Night" without a lump or outright tears. Mannhein Steamroller has a version with a Violinist 2/3 the quality of my Mother. And yes, I can be very objective.

My Father's favorite was "Sweet Georgia Brown," and on Memorial Day remembering those past by playing "Taps." With the memory of my Father playing and attending Departmenta Funerals, I again lose my composure.

Memories and Death..... When my Mother passed her funeral was in the beginning of October. We recessed to "Silent Night." How appropriate

One is never too old to be an orphan and to play.

Win dodger

Win, very nice story and description of musical insight. Thanks for sharing.

Dean, perhaps my writing skills are slipping, or they never existed. There has been a lot of discussion here about the proper words to use to describe sound, so I'm probably using the wrong words.

What I'm trying to describe is not the size of the "Khonk's" bass (huge), but the accuracy of the pitch and the lack of muddiness. Pluck the bass string, and bam -- it's in the room.

It is also the most natural-sounding bass I've heard.

Perhaps you could help me describe this more accurately.

I would have grabbed Hereseys; but I found the Chorus II first in my search.

I spent 5 years with a pair of Heresey Industrials from 1977 to 1982. A 3 piece accoustic band I used to record for had a pair.

3 part harmony, a Martin D28, an old Gibson accoustic and a flute. Plenty of big sound through the Hereseys.

Covers from the Eagles, James Taylor and CSNY; among others of that genre.

It was my hook into Klipsch over 25 years ago. have not lost the bug yet.

Tubes only make it better!

----------------

On 7/30/2003 1:26:24 PM DaddyDee wrote:

Thanks for the post glimmertwin. I will be interested to see a post when you get the Paraglows running.

On the Heresy being underrated. That is definitely true. I got Scalas before Heresy's. Got the Heresy's for a fixer upper project and have been amazed at how good they sound. When listening to them, I sometimes wonder, they sound so good, why do I think I need La Scalas. Well, then I listen to the La Scala again and find the sound bigger, more live presence, just somewhat more majestic. In a way it's a relief, because I know if I move into smaller quarters and need a smaller footprint, I won't feel too bad about having Heresy's. I don't know what a fair comparison would be to express what a Heresy actually delivers... 80-85% of what I get from La Scala? Maybe more. That is hard to assign a number there, I just have to say that the Heresy is substantially satisfactory. And in addition to that, listening to music for enjoyment instead of listening too much with a critical ear... I'm often needing just to relax and enjoy and give up the continual desire to tweak and improve. It's all to easy to take the joy our of enjoyment.

Regards,

Dee

----------------

Dee,

My heresys are also fixer-uppers but I listen to them in the basement while on the computer. It's nice to just listen sometimes as you put it. Unlike other equipment, speakers can be used while still being a work in progress.

Unlike with the heresys, I find myself being more of a critical listener with my "cornbreadwalls" although I enjoy the hell out of those dull and muddy earbleeders. 2.gif