Khorn subs "bottoming out" ?

artto, you are so bad!

I've been watching this thread. We're getting close, here. So, you have OLD K-33-Js? Wow! You are running an EQ through a 225 watt amp? Double Wow! You only have trouble with material that is heavy in deep bass? Triple Wow! Stop that at once! 1.gif Until you have new woofers, remove all EQ below 200 Hz. You haven't told us how much is a little bass EQ, but +4 dB below 50 Hz or so could easily drive the cone beyond its excursion limits and you power amp can send more than twice the continuous power limit to the woofer.

djk is tha man! He's pointed out your problems. I believe you are doing everything bad to your woofers. You have old drivers that cannot be as tough as they once were and aren't likely as tough as the new K-33-Es. I believe you are clipping the crap out of your power amp with the EQ. With speakers as old as yours, removing the woofer door a few times will surely trash the gasket and make it leak.

I'd get a new pair of K-33-Es; they were $110 each just a short while ago. Then, I'd go the Home Depot and get some of the thin weather stripping they sell and make new gaskets. And last, I'd seriously examine my EQ settings. If you need 3 to 6 dB of bass EQ to make the 'horns flat in your room (and you know this from testing), use it, but go easy on the throttle and look for a bigger power amp you won't clip. If you haven't tested your room, there is a set of zipped .wav files on the Forum you can burn to a CD for testing. A RAT Shack SPL meter and its correction curve will give you usable results. Set your EQ using that and still go easy on the throttle.

djk's 30Hz filter idea is a good one, too. I don't think you have a cracked glue joint (but you might), so I'd test that if everything else fails to correct the problem. Finding the leaky joint would require some thought.

Guys I really dont feel that the amp is clipping and if it goes and starts to do so it changes the colors on the power light. (according to the manual)

I have eliminated the eq completely and as far as this heavy bass you keep talking about, it isnt anything that was not played in the sixties and seventies. I am not playing digital bass or rap music. I am not abusing them in anyway.

As far as the door to examine the woofer, ever seen a guy who weighs 125 pounds try to pull a door off that is 40 years old and it seemed to me it was never pulled off. The seal was so tight I had to have a friend help get the door off. We did replace the seal though.

I also tried to run them directly off the reciever, Yamaha rx-v 995 which is only 85 watts and the same song produced the same sounds from the woofer.

Now if I am clipping on the 225 amp, (which I cant see happening) then why do I get the same effects from the woofer at lower watts?