Why DOES CD sound harsh? Seems we may have a REAL answer...

Still seems to take yet another box.

I didn't look to see what CD player you were using. Is it a pricey one?

(OK, so I looked but I don't know that that Sony costs)

At least this box is within the reach of those of us in the financially challenged department.

Dave

I've never been without one since about 1975. They are totally passive, and only extract the out of phase info that is present. In that sense, they are true purist devices.

Obviously, you want your rear speakers to be as near to the front in db/watt as possible, though they need not necessarily be as wide range. If you have the original Quadaptor, the instructions on balance will be on the bottom. If this is illegible or absent, let me know and I'll send them to you.

As far as rear level, start by turning it up until you hear it, then back just a hair.

I think you will like it.

Dave

I have made some cassettes that sounded insanely good, actually preferring the cassette recording from my Linn LP-12 to CD version. The deck and alignment/bias/azimuth and tape made a big difference as well. The Nakamichi CR-7a made some excellent tapes when recording from a good source. Hell, even the Linn LP-12/Basik Plus/Linn K9 into the NAK CR-7a using a more pedestrian TDK SA-90 would produce excellent sound very close to the original. Still, it wasnt the original but surely a great run in the CAR, making me actually prefer the sound to CDs in car decks, something I have never liked as they sound even MORE artificial, this just to my ears. I still listen to my NAK cassettes in the car to this day.

As for the ADE-24, I have one of these devices and have used it in my system in the past, both with the Rega Planet and 2A3 amps and a portable AIWA into an EICO HF-81, just to see exactly how MUCH a difference the little tike could make. I thought it did provide some improvement but ultimately was less resolution than the Planet directly into the Cary pre. Adding the other set of IC, even though of high quality, detracted some. In some ways, I felt there was an adding of dynamics but the background was not as black, nor pure. still, it was an enjoyable combo and interesting to use. Ultimately, it is sitting in the shelf next to a bevy of other gear, unused and looking for judgement. I wrote up a rather lengthy review but since they changed some of the parts within, held it to my HD.

kh

Are you saying your preamp has no ability to switch to mono?

The Quadaptor balance instructions really provide an instant excellent sound. However, if you've no ability to get to mono, then you just have to do it by ear.

150 to 18000 is a pretty weird set of specs. As I said, your rears should match your fronts as closely as possible at least in efficiency, and to a lessor degree in frequency response. However, I'd think you want them to get down to 50 hz or so.

If it doesn't float your boat, try for a little closer match between speakers.

Just what are they anyway?

Dave

thanks kelly for stating what I am sure will be considered another "irrelevant non sequitur". I love it when someone mentions better sounding music.

It is so easy to get caught up in technology and theory and lose sight of what shoudl be the end result. good music.

Perfect sound reproduction is currently unattainable...why? well first of all no one can agree on how to measure to confirm perfect reproduction. hang around AA or other BBoards with a more technical slant a watch the battles, with religious fervor, over just how to measure an audio signal to establish whether or not it is getting closer to the original. what to measure, where to measure, how to measure. all discussed by highly qualified engineers from a variety of fields and still not resolved.

To date it seems that neither the subjectivists and objectivists have driven the other off the field. I love to follow the discourse, especially when it contains even a smattering of true science, though one must be on guard lest he fall into the "I KNOW IT ALL, I HAVE THE ANSWER" camp. For the time being I will use these crude measurements as guides, these unconnected and often unrelated theorem as support...but TRUST and FAITH are reserved for only one...my ears.

warm regards from sunny el salvador,

Tony

Thanks Kelly for starting it? Lord. I was just responding to several that said cassettes were incapable of approaching anything close to quality sound. With the right gear and attention to detail, cassettes were an acceptable copy but in a high resolution system, didnt quite hold up to the original. I thought Nakamichi was one of the few companies that took the flawed medium as far as it could go. If you read up the thread, you will see the talk. The average cassette deck is one of the most mediocre devices around, however. I am not sorry to see the medium go even though I still have several high quality decks.

I rarely even join these debates as I find myself disagreeing with a lot of the claims, something that was fun to take part in the first 2300 posts but wore thin after awhile. I will NEVER get in another debate with a SPECS AND MEASUREMENTS ARE ABSOLUTE crew. It is neither fruitful nor rewarding at this stage of the game.

I get a little wary when I see people banter such phrases as "true science" as well because this can be misinterpreted, misused, and misunderstood with the best of them. I will once again put forth that engineers have the worst ears and least open minds in the listening room I have encountered. I was a Recording Engineer and Station Engineer on and off for 12 years and almost wanted to put my head through the wall many times in dealing with other engineers that followed the measurements are the answer sect. I would prefer not to even go there. Good audio/music reproduction usually involves a healthy mixture of science, measurements, testing, and ultimately the EARS/BRAIN/EXPERIENCE interaction. Too many engineers left out the last part.

I remember the first time I wandered into this forum, 97% were talking about the superiority of solid state and the poor distortion/measurements of tube gear. I dont know how I made it through that hell alive but it sure involved WAAAAY too much writing!

kh

Not even sure what the issues are in the above, but let me throw in another good word about cassettes.

The Sony WMD$ pro walkman is another excellent deck. $tereophile carried it up till recently in RecComp as "the only cassette deck an audiophile will ever need."

With metal tape, this deck can pretty much get it all. I occasionally use it for "unofficial" recordings.

And I fully agree. Measurements should be left to the R&D people or for troubleshooting. If it sounds good, it is good and measuring won't tell you why.

Dave

"Are you saying your preamp has no ability to switch to mono?"

Nope, it is an integrated amp, without a mono switch.

Oh and regarding the speakers! cheapest of all RCA "full range" cube 3 inch speakers! they suck! hehe, but its all I have in hands at this moment to do some testing. I guess I better calm down and get a set of better ones, maybe some Klipsch bookshelf or something.

"Perfect sound reproduction is currently unattainable...why? well first of all no one can agree on how to measure to confirm perfect reproduction. hang around AA or other BBoards with a more technical slant a watch the battles, with religious fervor, over just how to measure an audio signal to establish whether or not it is getting closer to the original. what to measure, where to measure, how to measure. all discussed by highly qualified engineers from a variety of fields and still not resolved."

I agree, but Im also curious in this "AA or other BBoards"? Where are they? I want to read and learn. thanks!

9.gif

I wouldn't try those speakers. Whilst the frequency range is not absolutely critical, a very close match to the fronts is necessary. You should not really hear the rears. What you get is a more envelopeing sound and deeper image.

With rock and stuff like "Firesign Theatre" where there is beaucoups of out of phase info, you can get stuff going on all around you.

Adjustment to get the very best effect takes a bit of practice. As I may have mentioned, the best way to start if you have no mono mode is to balance everything, then bring up the rears until you can just hear them. Then back off just a hair.

Well, I take the opening line back. Give them a try, but don't judge the Hafler by the results.

Dave

Thanks for the sentiment, Manuel. It does feel strange to post again. A few were welcoming, and I am sure more than a few others let out an audible groan...

Regarding your previous question relating to the whereabouts of all the other forums, there are a number of lists and forums around. The largest and most comprehensive is The Audio Asylum which houses a number of specific forums such as SET Asylum, Tube Asylum,High Efficiency Speaker Asylum, DIY Asylum, Vinyl Asylum, Vintage Asylum, Cable Asylum, Mutant Asylum, Annoying as Hell Asylum, the Normals will Drive you Mad Asylum, Ignorance is Bliss Asylum, etc etc.

There are also some much better mailing lists with more experienced listeners but you will still find the gear over music approach in almost all of them. I have had my writing deleted and have been censored more times in the Audio Asylum than anywhere else, real print included. Still, the average level of experience in the tube sections is up from the Klipsch Forums. The General Asylum is one place that will definitely drive you mad... The Bottlehead and DIY forums do offer some good building information but I will warn you that it will get technical VERY quickly so the beginner often finds himself over his head. I will say that there is a LOT OF GOOD HELP for those with questions, depending on the timing. Dont ask how the DIY Asylum started...; it's a sore subject... heh.

Sadly, some of the best characters are now gone, driven out by censor, lack of understanding, underdeveloped sense of humor, or all of the above.

To post all the links would take ages so just start HERE:

The Audio Asylum

Pick your poison...

kh

----------------

On 8/19/2003 12:40:58 PM mobile homeless wrote:

Regarding your previous question relating to the whereabouts of all the other forums, there are a number of lists and forums around. The largest and most comprehensive is The Audio Asylum which houses a number of specific forums such as
SET Asylum, Tube Asylum,High Efficiency Speaker Asylum, DIY Asylum, Vinyl Asylum, Vintage Asylum, Cable Asylum, Mutant Asylum, Annoying as Hell Asylum, the Freaks will Drive you Mad Asylum, Ignorance is Bliss Asylum,
etc etc.

kh

----------------

They totally lost me with the new Tech Square, Inmate Central, Propeller head, etc. I erased my account and keep away from there.

Things really went downhill when they created the SET Asylum distinct from Tube Asylum. I tought it was a good idea at the time. Sadly after two weeks of shoulder patting on the SET Asylum everything was said and done. THEN to be sure that the only posts on that place would be of the "What's the best... " type, the board decided to have a particular forum for the DIYers. These two places are now as boring as Ottawa on a Friday night.

Seing Ole Milkman Dan or Joe Rosen

pop up from time to time on these place would probably help.

I dont know... I thought the first few years of the SET Asylum were actually pretty good with a good mixture of freaks, abnormals, gear heads, malcontents, tongue-in-cheek a philes, tech loons, etc. There were some interesting exchanges there and when the supposed celebrities stopped by, there was a roasting for good measure, courtesy of cartoons, malcontents, and more. Besides, there was some nice debate.

Sadly, the splitting off into the DIY Forum nearly brought it to its knees. This was spawned by a post I made imploring the DIY brigade to perhaps keep the ENTIRE picture in mind every once in awhile. The post was misunderstood, some froot suggested a DIY Forum, DAVE ran with it...and now the place feels like a walk down sterile park. I must have received 20 angry mails on that one, and no matter how mant times I said I DONT WANT THE SET ASYLUM SPLIT, no one noticed. Ultimately, I think the DIY forum is a good thing but is has brought the interesting posts down.

But dont kid yourself, Jeffus! You are wandering around that dammn place STILL as we both know. I tried to kick the habit but you keep submitting these damn links in your mails to particularly apt posts! Froot!!! Now here we are in here, looking like jackdaws yet again. There is no way to win...

BBQ Jimmy notwithstanding, of course. Nancy is in love...

kh

I like'em'all Don't let anyone scare you off Manuel from AA. AA is worth the trouble, while there are TOO many posts from nuts, etc. over there, you will find that a lot of good information can be found...even in prophead, tech square, etc. yes you really need a sense of humor and humility to survive there but it DOES pay off over time. just as the klipsch b-board does. thicken up your skins boys and wade in, all are welcome! regards, tony

That's funny. I think there are NOT ENOUGH posts from nuts over there. Most of the characters have fled. Besides, Ton, my post was mostly Tongue-in-Cheek anyway. If anything , I thought it might raise the curiosity level.

I will say this. Once hooked into that quagmire, you will find your listening time cut in half, while your reading and posting time multiplied by three. And after all is said and done, you realize 85% of it is a pile of crock, with one's own posts fitting in the mix of crock.

Fire up your system and listen to some music, or better yet, pull out a musical instrument and play some yourself (make sure it's in a soundproof room, however). The Forums will suck you in like a vortex, and you will be lost in a sea of foam in no time. Dont say I didnt warn you! See? Ole Tony is already lost, never to recover. The poor lad even ordered a 2A3 amp from a French Quebec Froot.

IT's bad craziness....

kh