KG 1.2V, 4.0, 4.2 & wanting 5.2s

Another Woman

I'm new to the forum and gaining a new appreciation for Klipsch. It's been fun reading your posts. Are women allowed? I think I noticed there is one other woman on the forum.

In 1993 I bought a sound system and a set of KG 4.2s and set of KG 1.2Vs in Oak Clear. I've enjoyed them a lot over the years. Now I'm wanting to get into surround sound, so I started looking on E-bay for what I could find to go with what I already have. I noticed from the Klipsch website that I'm lucky they sold me 1.2Vs ten years ago, they'll come in handy now as center channels (until I upgrade to 2.2Vs?)

I found some Oak 5.2s on E-bay that I REALLY wanted, so much so that I drove the price up to $1175. before I let the other guy have them...(Everybody else dropped out of the bidding at $350.--can you imagine that?) I suppose when I find a pair for a decent price I'll be glad that he bought that pair instead of me. In the meantime, I'm still missing them.

I did buy a pair of KG 4.0s (for use in my bedroom) today on E-bay for $284., a tad more reasonable. But I still want some 5.2s.

I also need a 6.1 surround sound receiver and a subwoofer, but I'm in the midst of moving and running short on cash. Any inexpensive suggestions? Or alternatively, expensive suggestions that I might have to wait a while to fill?

This notion might be for another day too, but what do I need to know about tubes...you guys have me curious.

Thanks for any thoughts you might have and it's great to find that other people love their Klipsch speakers too.

Tamara

P.S. I mostly listen to music, so it's more important to me than Home Theater. I have CDs and a CD player, but I also have MP3 files (ripped at 320) running from my computer (with an Audigy Platinum 2 soundcard) to my receiver with a specially made $100. Monster Cable linking them, just until I get a newer receiver and can connect with an optical connection. I haven't heard anyone on the forum talk about MP3 files, are they a no-no on this forum? In other words, what do Klipsch speakers think of MP3 files?

Seriously, be very, very glad you did not spend that kind of money on those KG5.2s. People stopped bidding at $350 because spending more than that is pure "crazy talk". Honestly why do you think they will be better than your KG4.2s? The KG4.2 and KG5.2 use the EXACT same tweeter and the EXACT same woofer. It's just the KG5.2 has a larger enclosure and is vented lowered (via the larger 12" passive radiator). Looking at the specs (KG4.2 link & KG5.2 link), the 5.2s only go 2Hz lower and are only 1dB more sensative -- that's hardy worth bothering for!! You would be better off just upgrading or adding a good powered subwoofer. Most rec'rs nowadays allow the sub to play even in plain stereo mode.

All that being said, I have a lone KG4.2 that I am looking to sell. I am willing to modify it for someone to use as center channel. It would be an ideal match for anyone with a KG4.2 -- much better than anything you could buy (now or ever). If you want more info about what I am talking about see this thread:

Doing the HornEd thing

That guy modified a KG3.5 but I'm sure you get the general idea.

** Note I just added the links and one of them has a typo in the information it lists. I have a KG4.2 at home and I know it uses the K-1001-K woofer (same as the KG5.2) and not a K-1005-K. I also have an old parts price list (that Klipsch no longer makes public) that shows the K-1001-K is used in the KG4.2, KG5.2, and KG4.5. I need to find out who notify to have that corrected ( a related link ).

Hm, it looks as though my reply didn't go through. One of the problems with being a newbie I guess.

I was looking to have the 4.2s, 5.2s, and 1.2Vs all as part of a 6.1 surround sound system. Or else use the 4.2s and 5.2s in the same room and be surrounded by 2-channel sound.

What does it cost to convert a speaker to a center channel? And what does a lone 4.2 go for?

The bidder on the 5.2s hasn't shown up yet. The seller may sell them to me yet. What is a fair price for a nice pair of KG 5.2s?

I am thinking the other bidding was either a kid playing around, or someone shill bidding (trying to run up your bid so the seller gets more for it). If the later, it makes me wonder if the entire auction is some scam. Personally, I would NOT send hundreds of dollars to anyone with only 2 feedbacks on eBay...you have to be careful out there.

If I were you, I would buy my (soon to be) modified KG4.2 and run the three KG4.2s are your front speakers. Then you can use the KG1.2s are your rears. That would make a very fine 5.1 system. If you have room, you could buy those KG5.2s and use the as front mains and move the KG4.2s to the rears -- but that isn't as important as having three well matched front speakers. An ideal system is essentially having the same speakers in all 5 spots.

Modifying the KG4.2 to be a center will take a little work. It will requite removing the current front baffle and replacing it with a new custom-made one so as to have the horn oriented correcly when the speaker is laying on what was its side; and also replacing the PR with a port. Therefore, I am asking $160 for the modified KG4.2. I would also expect the buyer to be responsible for all shipping costs. Let me know if you want more details and I can send you pictures too. BTW, I have quite a bit of experience building custom enclosures (see the links in my sig).

I can see your point, but search on "HornEd" hear and you will find a lot of very positives reveiws from very happy HT owners! :) Honestly I am not just trying to make a sale...but instead trying to get you informed so you can see the excellent opportunity (to get a custom center channel speaker) that I am offering someone.

BTW, why are you so "set" on getting a pair of KG5.2s (that you would bid an a crazy amount, like over $1000, on a pair)? I think you will be very disappointed once you get them and find out they really sound no different than your KG4.2s. I'm not saying they wouldn't make a nice addition to your HT setup, but just don't have any crazy expectations. BTW, there are some KG4.2s and KG4.5s currently on sale on eBay now (each with a Buy It Now price of $350). FYI, I wouldn't spend any more on a pair of KG4.2s or 4.5s than I would on a pair of KG5.2s. Also, the KG4.2 and KG4.5 are the same speaker except one uses a port and the other a passive radiator (and those are both forms of venting an enclosure; different implementation with the same result). That is also true with the KG3.2 and KG3.5, but not with the KG5.2 and KG5.5 (the 5.5 uses active dual 10" woofer and a port).

Well that does sound interesting to have five 4.2s. But guys, remember, I'm a woman and how it LOOKS matters to me too. Those 5.2s I bid on are Oak Oil in excellent condition and the ones I have are Oak Clear. The 4.2s on E-Bay look interesting, but they appear to be Black. My preference would be to stay with all Oak Clear so they match visually as well as auditorally. When I originally bought the KGs I certainly would have purchased Oak Oil if I had realized it was an option. They only offered me the Oak Clear as an option then.

STL what would your custom 4.2 look like? What color would it be? Would altering it make a difference? It wouldn't really be a 4.2 at that point would it? But it would basically sound like one?

Wouldn't the 5.2s sound a little "bigger" than the 4.2s?

The KG4.2 is an oil oak one. It does have a blemish on one rear corner (but it would not really be seen since it's on the rear) and the original bottom of the speaker would need to TLC because of some light scratches. I'll send you pictures.

The modified KG4.2 I am proposing would still sound like a KG4.2, and with the grill on it would like like just like a regular KG4.2 laying on it's side. The mod I am talking of is really just rotating the horn so when the speaker is rotated then horn is still oriented properly. Look at your KG4.2s now with the grills off. If you laid it on it's side then the horn would be rotated 90 degree, right? My mod would redo the front baffle to rotate the horn 90 degree so when the speaker is laying on it's side it would be oriented like the a KG4.2 that is stand upright. This though require replacing the passive radiator with a port though because there isn't room for the 10" woofer, 10" PR, and the rotated horn. Like I have said before, a PR (passive radiator) and a port and both forms of venting an enclosure so one can be swapped for the other with no change in the sound of the speaker (if done correctly of course). I don't this myself. See my KG3.25 speaker (see the link in my sig). They are KG3.2s that I made new enclosures for and replaced the PR with ports. BTW, I have an electrical engineering degree and audio has been a hooby of mine since HS. I'm not trying to sounds vain, but I really do know what I am talking about here, and I'm not just trying to BS you (or anyone else reading this thread). Oh one other thing I forgot to mention is that this KG4.2 is already video shielded (so I guess you might call it a KG-4.2V); both the woofer and tweeter have bucking magnets!

One last thing (since you are a newbie), it's not a requirement that the KG4.2 be laid on it's side to be a center channel speaker. It is just that most people prefer the speaker be longer and less tall so people lay them on their sides (and redo the front baffle). Again, search on "HornEd" and you'll learn a lot about HT and how a perfect-match center can really make surround sound awesome. Good luck...

Another,

I'm the guy that modified my KG3.5's into a center channel. Please slow down, take your time and study the issue of "matched" speakers across the front of your home theater. I'm picky about my sound, but I do operate on a budget, so putting KG3.5's all around was a great option for me. It sounds great and I spent less for my modified center channel, 2 rear surrounds, and 2 back surrounds than you bid on eBay for the pair of 5.2's.

Just a note on STL, he is for real. Been around this board for a while. $160 for him to modify a 4.2 to make it a center channel is a steal! If it matched my set it would not be available to you...2.gif

Best of luck on your new Klipsch journey.

Brad

Thanks guys for taking the time to respond to my thread. This is fun and interesting.

So "HornEd" means that you modify a speaker for use as a center channel? It looks like STL does some nice work, so if you guys convince me that I really do want a 4.2 as a center channel, then I'm in luck, huh? Nice that the one STL has is an Oak Oil too, and already shielded to boot. Isn't a 4.2 a bit large and cumbersome as a center channel? Does it sound awesome to have the center the same as the others? That's what you guys seem to be implying. Would my 1.2Vs sound really inferior as center channels? What about my rear center channel, don't I want it to match my front (and therefore I would need a pair of 4.2s modified) or would I just opt to go for 7.1 instead and use my 1.2Vs there?

I did the mod to one of my 4.2's and couldnt be happier. I now have 5.2's as my mains and surrounds and a 4.2 as my center.

When I built the 4.2 center I used the driver and the passive radiator and turned the horn vertical. I think it sounds great. I figured it only took a few hours to do the mod to the speaker and I sould always redo it with a port.

I used to use a 2.2v as my center and the 4.2 is far superior. Having the same horn for all 5 speakers makes a huge difference. Pans across the front are amazing.

Earle

HornED is one of the revered Gurus on this forum. He is famous for many things and one of them is advocating conversion of a floorstanding speaker into a horizontalized center channel. IMHO, this is the ultimate configuration. As HornEd (and others) pointed out to me...most movies play over 75% of the sound through the front center channel. Therefore, it may be the most important single speaker in the 5.1 or 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

One of the things that makes a 4.2 far superior to a 1.2V is its cabinet size. Much better sound dynamics. It's tends to be only large and cumbersome if you are going to move it a lot. Your 1.2v's will always sound inferior compared to the 4.2 when used for a front center channel. Just the nature of the differences of the 2 designs.

It is not as important that the back surround (center) match the front center (although that is mine and others preference) this is because the back center tends to be sent "ambient" or background sound by most movies. The 1.2v's might be very satisfactory when used in that manner.

Ultimately, you are the final judge. But I can tell you that even my wife could hear the difference when i went from a KV-2 center channel to my modified KG3.5 As with all beauty, be it sound or vision, it is in the eye of the beholder....

Ok, so you guys are making headway in convincing me, and I've only been on this forum for maybe 16 hours now.

So, if I were doing this "right" what would it look like? Would 5.2s be out, because I already own 4.2s? I suppose if I were doing it right I would have six 4.2s with two of them HornEd as Center Channels, or would I have seven of them? What kind of subwoofer(s) would I have?

I may need to decide about the 5.2s on Sunday. The seller gave the high bidder until Sunday to cough up the money and then he's going to offer them to me. Do I want them, and if so, how much should I pay?

STL, while I think all this over and try to get fully informed about all of my options, are you willing to let me know before you sell your 4.2 to anyone else?

If I had six or seven 4.2s then would my music sound as good as a 2 channel system? Or is a 2 channel system always superior for music? I hope you guys don't mind that I'm new to this and there is a lot I don't know yet.

Tamara,

This is just my opinion, but in your shoes (based on what you already own) I would go with 4.2's for the mains, STL's 4.2 "mod"ed center, use the 4.0's for rear surrounds and use your 1.2v's for back surrounds. Then if you want to continue shopping, keep watching on Ebay for 4.2's. As you buy a pair, replace the 1.2v's and then the 4.0's. Sell each "replaced" pair on Ebay to help pay for the 4.2's.

IMO, DO NOT Buy the 5.2's if they come back to you. As STL said you will not see much difference in performance and the deal sounds flaky at any price. From what I have seen in the Ebay Klipsch market, a pair of 4.2's generally go for $300 or less.

My system sounds better (fuller) than just a 2 channel system (unless it's Khorns, of course), but I like a concert hall music sound. You can always set your receiver to just use the 4.2 mains and then you have 2 channel.

I was a newbie on this forum about 9 months ago. You will find it a very helpful place for the serious student, so keep the questions coming....1.gif

Redtop,

I thought 4.0s were not a good match for 4.2s. I really bought the 4.0s to go in my bedroom. I never intended that they would be matched with my 4.2s. Would they really sound good enough with my 4.2s that I would want to mix them? Over the 10 years that I've had my Klipsch speakers they have mostly been in two rooms running off of my receiver as A and B. I've certainly noticed how I haven't felt a shock when I've gone from the living room where the 4.2s were, to the bedroom where the 1.2s were. I appreciated that the sound remained largely the same as I went from room to room. I know I don't yet have the terminology to express this correctly. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say. I'm thinking that if I put something into the mix that wasn't a KG.2 then maybe that would no longer be the case.

I don't think the guy with the 5.2s is the problem. I think I wanted them so much that I was willing to pay a lot for them. Perhaps the other bidder was the problem. Would the 5.2s be AS GOOD AS 4.2s for my system? What if I could get the 5.2s for $300. to $400. wouldn't that be a reasonable deal? Or would I truly be better off waiting for 4.2s. How likely would I be to find what I'm looking for in Oak Clear if I were willing to wait? Is Oak Oil more readily available? I get the impression that maybe it is more available.

I don't know if I'll ever be able to part with my 4.2s or my 1.2s. After 10 years I'm kind of attached to them. I suspect there must be other Klipsch owners out there who understand the feeling.

Thanks for taking the time to think these things through with me.

Tamara

Tamara,

The Oak Oil finished speakers are actually more difficult to find (Walnut & Black are more common). If the seller of the 5.2's offers them to you in the $300-$400 price range and they are in the same matching finish as your 4.2's I would certainly get them. As stated the modded center 4.2 would still match up well with the 5.2 mains and then the 4.2's could be moved to the rear with the 1.2's taking over rear surround duty. You only need one center channel not two. Having a larger timbre matched center channel makes all the difference in the world. I have gone from a KG 2.2V to a KV-4 and now my current La Scala. The move to the La Scala made a HUGE difference as stated the pans across the front are seamless. In addition the efficiencies of the front 3 speakers are all identical requiring no adjustments in the A/V receivers channel volume settings. I originally just had the Heresy II's in the rear but had a chance to purchase a pair of La Scala's for $400 so I jumped on them and now they serve as the rears, another big jump in performance. Inspiration to have the big Heritage speakers at every position in the HT came from HornEd and Q-Man and believe me when I tell you they are right it really, really makes a difference. My Heresy II's are now the rear effects centers, and I bought a pair of KG-1's to perform as rear surround "B" needless to say this setup is killer! Get yourself a good subwoofer as well and you will be all set. Sounds like you are on your way to HT nirvana if everything falls into place for you. Good luck with your quest! 9.gif

Tamara,

That was a test... and you passed...2.gif The 4.0's are not a perfect match, but if you are impatient like me, anything close to fill out my system until I can get "perfect" is OK with me! Sorry I missed the point of you not using the 4.0's in your home theater.

As to the 5.2's, the "perfect" setup is 4.2's or 5.2's all around. 5.2's will work fine as your mains and sound great. Just remember that 75% of your movie sound comes from the center channel. If you are still interested in the 5.2's, why not do an advanced search on EBay for closed auctions on 5.2's? Come up with an average price and make the seller come to your price. The worst case is that he has to re-auction and you can try again. He may take less than average just to not fool with Ebay again.

Most everyone here on this forum understands your attachment. We got it too!

Redtop