Question About Marantz

Sulaco

HT receivers have so much digital EMI from ICs running around you can never expect them to be dead silent.

It would be interesting to hear how many people keep TVs and other digital devices off of their 2 channel home circuit.

I try to except when playing CDs.

Satellite receiver, VCR, DVD player, powered antenna, TIVO, COmputer and other things make nasty noise.

Grado...Mission...JA Michel...Scott LK-48... Chorus II

No digital in the signal path and very friendly noise.

OOhh

But that vinyl thing, very inconvenient for some people.

Bad day at work; I am a bit chippy tonight.

I have RB-5 II's. I would like to reiterate that I do not hear this "floor noise" with my HK. I only hear it with the Marantz. I have everything hooked up exactly the same way. I tried a Toslink cable, analog, other CD's, etc. Everything points back to the Marantz. I spoke with the guy who owns the local shop I got it from and he said they were having some problems with noise out of some receivers.

I am looking for a replacement for a faulty HK, not something else with its own problems. I guess I have to pay thousands of dollars to get an actual quality product these days. *sigh*

I hooked the HK back up and will just deal with it until I come across something that will work. Any good suggestions for a sub thousand dollar A/V receiver that EXCELS in 2 channel and still works well in SS modes? I want something with DD PL II, DD, DTS, 100 watts or better, low THD, and at least one set of multi channel inputs (SACD/DVD-A) and a set of pre-outs that will actually work with an external amp. The guy at the local shop also told me not to use the pre-outs to hook to an amp. He said he did this and fried the receiver. 6.gif

Thanks again for the help guys.

You are in the 2 channel forum

I have heard it all being HT obsessed from 1996-2001.

You can say you have a defectve unit and try again.

I like Marantz; mellow top end.

Some people i know well like Rotel or Integra better.

Your concern is valid; but not related to a shortcoming in your RB-5s.

I have a pair myself.

Respectfully request satisfaction from your dealer.

"The guy at the local shop also told me not to use the pre-outs to hook to an amp. He said he did this and fried the receiver."

Bulls8!t. Many in this forum, including me, have either now or in the past added an external amplifier to their HT system. Hell, my Marantz SR-19EX REQUIRES an external amp for 7.1 surround. This makes me question just about anything else this person has told you.

"I would like to reiterate that I do not hear this "floor noise" with my HK. I only hear it with the Marantz."

Can you be more descriptive of the noise you are hearing? Is it a hiss, or a low level humm? The type of noise can be indicative of the type of problem you're having.

"Everything points back to the Marantz. I spoke with the guy who owns the local shop I got it from and he said they were having some problems with noise out of some receivers."

Again, bulls8!t. So, if they are having problems with the Marantz line, why are they selling it, and why did he not advise of potential problems up front, or offer to test your unit before he let you take it home? My suspicion is that, at worst, you have an isolated issue with a defective unit. Otherwise, I would go back to your set up.

Try this: Unplug your receiver from the wall outlet, then disconnect EVERYTHING from the receiver, and then plug the unit back into the wall outlet, and listen through headphones for the "noise". If its not there, then connect your speakers, and listen to an empty input, then listen to FM. (If the noise is there, then try to plug the unit in to a wall outlet on a different circuit in your house, and see if the noise is still there.) Systematically reconnect components to the receiver until the noise appears. Then you might isolate your problem.

If the noise is there right away, return the unit for exchange. Your dealer should be willing to work with you. Marantz makes some fine HT receivers, and you should not have "noise" leaking into your system due to their product.

I have tried all of what you said. The Marantz is the only common when the problem occurs. It is a hissing sound, not a low hum. I spoke to a guy I know who works for Marantz Professional and he said he was aware of a problem with some Marantz A/V Receivers having the same type of noise in the surround channels. I tend to believe what the guy said now, considering it came from not one, but two people affiliated with Marantz. As far as what happened with the receiver when he used it as a pre/pro, I don't know why he would say that other than it happened. It wouldn't make sense to knock your own product if it were not true.

And what does being in the 2 channel forum have to do with anything? My problem with this unit was/is in 2 channel mode!

Does the unit have an "analog pass through"?

test this it should be perfectly clean.

point is more people could help understand your issue on the HT thread.

I consider most HT receivers to be non serviceable by the owner.

Options

1. Some digital eqipment is incomatible with other components and causes this kind of noise. I had a friend find a ground hum when adding a new component.

2. take it back for another of the same model.

3. Upgrade to a higher line marantz model.