RC 7's for mains

JAG

Would I have any problems (musicial clarity ) by using three (3) RC 7's (center, left & right mains)instead of 1 RC 7 and 2 RB 75 or RB 5II's. About to make my purchase. Would appreciate any comments. The RC7's would work very nicely in my booksheves, but I don't want to lose any sound quality while listening to music. Also, any thoughts on how close I can set the rear ports to the back of the bookshelf walls? 4.gif

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't, unless they are rear ported then putting them in a bookshelf would be no good. Not sure if the RC-7 is a sealed speaker or not. I think someone on the BB has done the same thing I recall seeing a photo of a trio of RC-7's up front.

well basically you would be giving up range. the best way to check this si simply check klipschs site for specks on your listed speaks, you will readilly see that you would lose alot of bottom end, and mids would be presented differently, astetically? cool? probably look good, but sound would suffer12.gif

Clarity of the RC-7 will not suffer due to bookshelf placement any more or less than it would with RB-75's. A rear port could be a problem, but I don't think the RC-7 has a rear port. If it does, as long as you've got a few inches, it will breathe OK.

The RC-7 is a heck of a speaker, although a bit pricey. I'd want to do a good side-by-side comparison; a pair of RC-7's against a pair of RB-75's. Preferably with a sub. The biggest advantage of the RC-7 I see, is having two 8" drivers operating in the range between the subwoofer and the point that one woofer rolls out.

It's painful, but you should always at least try to use the search utility.

Using RC-7's as mains was referred to as "The Dean Thang" on the 2-channel forum. I used two of them in a 2-channel configuration with a sub -- it was absolutely killer. I wanted to upgrade from the RB-5's, but was short on cash for the RF-7s -- and I wanted that big driver.

Some rambling thoughts -- it is after all almost 1:30 in the morning.

RC-7 pros:

More output from two 8's means the horn doesn't have to be dialed as far back as the RB-75's. This may mean nothing.

The additional driver means a larger soundfield (more radiating surface).

One of the woofers on the RC-7 cuts out at 500Hz or so. I believe this might result in a cleaner midrange and midbass at higher SPLs than the RB-75. Basically -- less intermodulation distortion.

RC-7 cons:

It's kind of tough to find good stands for them. There is a very good set of stands, but they run close to $250.

MTM configuraton means you can't get the horns perfectly ear level without taking them up to 26" inch stands -- and it looks kind of strange. I used 20 inch stands. Worked good.

The RC-7 is designed to be used with tilting stands, and there are two small holes in the side with t-nuts (on the inside part of the speaker) to accomodate the stands. Only noticeable if you get right up on them. Turn them up like I did and people will stay back. :)

RB-75 pros:

A monitor means superior, pinpoint imaging.

One 8 means less parts in the crossover.

One 8 means more coherency. Trust me on this. This fact was not lost on me after replacing my RB-5's with the RC-7's. I gained much -- but lost some of this.

After owning the RB-5's for several months, I emailed Bob Gassel and pleaded with him to get Klipsch to scale up the RB-5. What I really wanted was a 10" driver with the 1.75" driver -- but I'll take the RB-75 the way it is, and I will certainly be buying a pair down the road. Here's why: The RB-5 was/is a dynamic monster. Incredible speed and transient attack -- I can only imagine what the RB-75 sounds like in this regard. There's something magical about a box that size and a couple of drivers. I see the RB-75 as a RB-5 on steroids.

Ease of placement

High WAF

RB-75 cons:

Need a sub

I forgot to mention something pretty important: To use RC-7s as mains, one has to twirl the horns 90 degrees.

I would not use RC-7's for your mains. One of the 8" drivers is a "passive" type driver (not sure thats it). In other words one 8" driver is in full use and the other is not.

For the money you would be far better off with the RF-3's or RB-5's.

Don't get me wrong, the RC-7 is a simply awsome center and would do OK for mains, however at that price point you could almost get the RF-5's or maybe even the RF-7's with a little extra cash. If size is your problem then the RB-5's are the ticket.

I know nothing about the new lines and perhaps there is a speaker mentioned above that would be even better.

Good luck!

I would not use RC-7's for your mains. One of the 8" drivers is a "passive" type driver (not sure thats it). In other words one 8" driver is in full use and the other is not.

For the money you would be far better off with the RF-3's or RB-5's.

Don't get me wrong, the RC-7 is a simply awsome center and would do OK for mains, however at that price point you could almost get the RF-5's or maybe even the RF-7's with a little extra cash. If size is your problem then the RB-5's are the ticket.

I know nothing about the new lines and perhaps there is a speaker mentioned above that would be even better.

Good luck!

Both 8" mid-woofers in the RC-7 are active. But the cross-over is what is usually refered to as a "2 1/2 way" design, meaning both drivers operate together up to a point, at which one driver is rolled out, leaving just the other one to cover the mids. This is done to avoid off-axis lobing, which plagues virtually all "conventional" horizontally oriented center speakers. (By conventional, I mean center speakers that use two mid-woofers flanking a single tweeter.)

"I know nothing about the new lines..."

That much is obvious. Please refrain from giving advice until you learn about them.

The RC-7 uses the same driver as the RF-7, which offers a substantial increase in performance over what is used in the RB-5, RF-3, and RF-5.

Two RC-7s and a sub will bury a set of RF-5s with the same.

----------------

On 8/5/2003 10:19:06 AM DeanG wrote:

"I know nothing about the new lines..."

That much is obvious. Please refrain from giving advice until you learn about them.

The RC-7 uses the same driver as the RF-7, which offers a substantial increase in performance over what is used in the RB-5, RF-3, and RF-5.

Two RC-7s and a sub will bury a set of RF-5s with the same.

----------------

Dean - Glad to see that you offer a "fiendly" welcome to some of the new forum members. Are you trying to pick up Mobile Homelessess posting slack? If so, you forgot to call the new poster a "loon", which at least dulls the the pain of an inconsiderate posting "slap in the face".

DeanG,

Your out of line. I simply stated what I beleive to be true. As the owner of many different Klipsch speakers (twelve)I feel I certainly can offer my opinion, which is what we all do.

I personally own a set of RF-3II's on my second system and they would offer superior performance to the RC-7's at the main position, which I also own. I feel very confident saying this as I have heard everyone of the reference series except the new lines. Don't get me wrong, the RC-7 is an awesome speaker for a center channel. I simply feel for $1,600 (list) you can get the RF-3II's and save some cash for that sub.

Thanks for the replies. I value and appreciate all of your opinions. I should have explained that the reasoning behind considering the RC7s was placement. They would simply fit better in our cabinets due to their horizontal design. The cabinets are your standard built-ins. The base cabinet is about 32 inches off the floor, which is where I would place the speakers and the bookshelves go up from there. Thats about ear level. They are, by the way rear ported, but I could move them forward of the wall a few inches.

Asides from my original thoughts about how they would fit better, I also thought that two 8 speakers might perform better than one. I have demod the RB 5IIs with an RC7 against the RC3 II and the RC7 was much more dynamic. Honestly, what I could not hear the difference in was the RB5 II against the RF3 floor standing-which kinda blows my theory about 2 speakers. But hey at 42 my eyes got weak, at 46 Im sure my ears have probably gone too. I have never heard the RB75, but according to the stats they have a better range than the RC7 or RC5II and they are front ported. Still, the RC7s would sure make the wife happy (RB75s are tall at 20"). Cost would not be an issue, just not much of difference in price between 2 RC7s and a pair of RB75s. Well thanks for your help-if there are any more comments, please post-Ill keep watching until I write the check!!!!

Bunch of Loons.

Sorry about that -- medication was waning.9.gif

Cut and paste into the Address Bar -- if you try to go from clicking on the links, it doesn't work.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=10177&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={D2B51B3B-F29E-4945-B8EC-1DD1FE119CCD}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=10145&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={D2B51B3B-F29E-4945-B8EC-1DD1FE119CCD}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=10236&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={D2B51B3B-F29E-4945-B8EC-1DD1FE119CCD}

I went back and re-read the thread -- I guess your idea would be to put all three RC-7's in bookshelves? I don' t really like that idea -- especially for music listening. You really have to have something "out there" on stands.