WAF

Tamara,

Welcome to the forum. WAF... in my understanding is Wife Approval Factor.

WAF is best understood as a continuum from low to high WAF values.

An often used example on this forum, is a piece of equipment with high WAF would usually mean likely to be well considered by the wife as an addition to the husband's toy collection. Very often the husband may list two or three extra amplifiers for sale on the forum or on Ebay for auction in an effort to decrease the burden they have placed on the general WAF. There is a T-Shirt that says, "If Momma Ain't Happy.... Nobody's Happy."

The "rolling of eyes" that you mention is generally a sure sign of low WAF. However, (and this can be subtle) that wouldn't necessarily apply if the rolling eyes belong to a woman who (is married to a REALLY lucky guy) and she thinks that his audio hobby, while sometimes irritating is also somehow (on balance) charming. 16.gif

Regards,

Dee

You're exactly right, Tamara. The dreaded "WAF" has kept many husbands from purchasing those big, boxy Cornwalls because their fussy wives don't either understand their husband's need for fine sounding Klipsch Heritage loudspeakers, or they don't want their personally decorated living room cluttered with heinous boxes that don't quite theme with the Colonial American furniture and flower patterned couch and reclining chair.

"If you think you're putting that monstrosity anywhere near my antique Queen Ann chair, you have another thing coming", or "That ughly walnut contraption doesn't match any of my oak furniture, so it's going in the basement", and "Why do you need those humungous crates sitting on the carpet when those little Bose cubes didn't sound any different and were just fine hidden from view on the bookshelf"...are popular lines that many misguided wives use on their husbands.

Guilt trips like these mentioned above have caused many husbands to either settle for subpar loudspeakers, relinquishing their newly aquired Klipsch to an unfinished basement or garage, and even totally disrupting a once happy marriage, resulting in a non-musical household devoid of quality sound!

The "WAF" can be catastrophic...unless the husband is fortunant to be married to an understanding wife who can appreciate and accept her husband's desire for quality Klipsch loudspeakers in their home. This is truely a rare exception, but there are a few wives of forum members here who also accept big Klipsch horn speakers into their living space. And then there are even fewer women such as yourself here on these Klipsch Forums that also own and appreciate Klipsch loudspeakers themselves, and live truely happy lives with their favorite music playing through quality Klipsch horn speakers.

You are truely blessed with musical ears that so many other women seem to lack, and Klipsch appreciates the few female fans it has.

One woman I dated hated my big Cornwalls...she was quite content listening to her Top40 hits tuned on an AM radio...you understand she had to go!

Will you marry me?9.gif

Haha this thread is hilarious! I brought a new girlfriend home the other day and she wanted to listen to her favorite CD since she saw my system. I played it, and she was like wow, it sounds pretty good. So it's the CD that makes it sound so good huh?

i almost died. With all the equipment I had and she still thought it was the $10 CD that produced the great sound.

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's nice to be appreciated!

jt1stcav, what do you think, maybe we should get acquainted first? (grin)

What is a SVS subwoofer which is at risk for having low WAF and MAF? Sorry, but I'm new to this stuff and have yet to purchase my first subwoofer...but I'm wondering what to buy...

Why is the SVS so much at risk for low AF rating?

----------------

On 8/3/2003 3:35:10 PM jt1stcav wrote:

"If you think you're putting that monstrosity anywhere near my antique Queen Ann chair, you have another thing coming", or "That ughly walnut contraption doesn't match any of my oak furniture, so it's going in the basement", and "Why do you need those humungous crates sitting on the carpet when those little Bose cubes didn't sound any different and were just fine hidden from view on the bookshelf"...are popular lines that many misguided wives use on their husbands.

----------------

Imagine trying to decorate around zebrawood! Luckily I had the cornwalls before the wife and she did fall in love with the sound (as well as their owner9.gif).

Lately the WAF problem in the house has been the addition of tubes. She's coming around however. She is having me buy new CDs for her (last week it was John Waters "Solid Air.") After listening for a while (and insisting SHE sit in the "sweetspot,") she turned to me and said, "the soundstaging is genius!"

What a woman!13.gif

"jt1stcav, what do you think, maybe we should get acquainted first? (grin)"

Naw...I don't need to know anymore about you. You love Klipsch; all the other women hated them (they're too big, too honky, too loud, too old fashion, too this, too that). You've got more Klipsch than I do! WOW! My perfect dream woman!2.gif

SVS subwoofers (see: http://www.svsubwoofers.com/) are one of the subwoofers of choice to Klipsch owners. They play deep, they're pretty much timbre matched to just about any Klipsch, and they're affordable. I just think bruinsrme's mom may not be thrilled with his dad receiving a new sub...just more clutter in the music room, I'm afraid.15.gif

----------------

On 8/3/2003 4:55:45 PM jt1stcav wrote:

"jt1stcav, what do you think, maybe we should get acquainted first? (grin)"

Naw...I don't need to know anymore about you. You love Klipsch; all the other women hated them (they're too big, too honky, too loud, too old fashion, too this, too that). You've got more Klipsch than I do! WOW! My perfect dream woman!
2.gif

SVS subwoofers (see:
) are one of the subwoofers of choice to Klipsch owners. They play deep, they're pretty much timbre matched to just about any Klipsch, and they're affordable. I just think bruinsrme's mom may not be thrilled with his dad receiving a new sub...just more clutter in the music room, I'm afraid.
15.gif
----------------

We have a corner of out family room that is BEGGING for the biggest single SVS self-powered sub. Maybe I will buy one for my parents when I move out. 9.gif

My brother's wife is a real sweety-pie...she doesn't mind his audio habit one bit (she says it's better than having a husband who hangs out at bars; he's home every night with her and their 2 daughters), so she allows him to indulge in his hobby (with his own money, natch). He just recently bought a new SVS 25-31PCi cylindrical sub with a built-in 350 watt amp for less than $500! It blends seamlessly with his Polk Audio towers, and sounds great with jazz bass, exploding bombs, or jet fly-bys. Luckily, I can get by without a real need of a sub for my Cornwalls, but if I'm ever in the market for one in the future, SVS or Klipsch is where I'll look!

What's good in the Klipsch line to go with my KG 4.2s? I looked at the SVS website and it looks interesting. Then I looked for SVS subwoofers on eBay and there wasn't anything. I know that some Klipsch subwoofers do sell on eBay. I need something inexpensive in the short run while I decide how committed I am to this new habit--and therefore how much money I'm willing to cough up to support it.

just go to a local hifi store, most of them will let you take home stuff to try in your system, and make sure it's something REAL high end to make sure after having it you won't wanna live without it. than you'll be more than ready to dish out unlimited money on a sub 11.gif

All I can say is it depends on how much you're willing to cough up. I listen mostly to classical pipe organ music, so I really need a subwoofer that's capable of reproducing extreme low bass in the 16 to 20Hz region (to faithfully reproduce the lowest octave of the bass pedal notes of a 32' Contra Bassoon or Diapason). If I only listened to jazz and chamber music, a subwoofer that went down to 25-30Hz would be more than adequate. My bro's SVS will play down to 25Hz, which is more than acceptable for jazz, rock, and all his DVD movies.

I'm not really familiar with the Klipsch subwoofers, but I'm positive that all are able to sound great with your KG 4.2s. Again, it basically comes down to how much you want to spend, and how low you want to go. You don't see too many SVS subs on eBay (the majority of its owners keep 'em)...not to say that Klipsch make inferior subs that everyone wants to get rid of, but I think only recently Klipsch began building subs that play down to the neather regions, unlike a few years ago when they only reached 30Hz or so (I could be wrong, though).

So this sounds like the more you pay the deeper they go? I listen to all kinds of music: Classical, Jazz, Pop, Rock etc. But one of the things I'm enjoying exploring these days is World Music. Given I've never had a subwoofer before, I might even be amazed with something inexpensive to start with. So a Klipsch subwoofer from eBay might be a starting point? It could always be sent to my bedroom when I get a better one.

I liked the idea of going to Magnolia Hi-Fi and taking an expensive subwoofer for a test drive (grin). I might try it, but it sounds DANGEROUS!

WAF can also mean Wife Alimony Factor. It makes your decision of what new audio/video equipment to get an easy one. Its very simple. NOTHING. If youre a guy you wont be buying any new gear. If youre a gal you wont need any new gear. 2.gif

Essentially, that's how it works...you pay more for lower bass. Seeing how you listen to all forms of music, a good starting point IMHO would be in the 25-30Hz region. You can order an SVS model like the one my bro has for less than $500 from their website. SVS has a 45 day money back guarantee and a 3 year warranty. Or you can shop with Magnolia Hi-Fi (we don't have one here on the east coast) and take one which falls within your budget out for a test drive (REL makes fabulous subs). As long as you can return it with no problems, then go for it.

All decent subwoofers have adjustable crossover points, so you can adjust all the bass frequencies to go to the sub, so your Klipsch don't have to try and reproduce these low notes through their woofers, and your amplifier/receiver that drives your Klipsch doesn't have to work so hard. Good bass doesn't have to be that boomy bass you hear coming from lowered Honda Civics...bass should just be an extention of your loudspeakers. And a good quality used sub on eBay would also be a good starting off point. Gary mentioned a great Klipsch sub, but I think it may be out of your price range (or maybe not?).

You have many choices...go crazy!3.gif