Questions on Scott 222A

mark1101

To all the HH Scott heads,

I have read so much in this forum about Scott amps and Klipsch speakers that I ended up acquiring one off EBay. It is a 222A.

Hopefully, it was accurately represented, although I plan to have it checked out by an expert anyway before it connects to my Klipsch. (Actually, I have a pair of non-Klipsch I could sacrifice to satisfy that "try it now" appetite.)

I have been on the HH Scott website and reviewed the whole product line up (over and over and over). I see where the 222A fits in. It is certainly not a 299A-D. But I think it will be adequate as I already have a tube amp and don't use very much power to get more than enough volume on both the Las, and the corns. I wish I had bid on the one with a tape monitor for my equalizer though.

However, can I please receive some comments about this amp and the performance I should expect with the speakers listed below? Is it OK? Junk? Know of any problems or anomalies? Will I rock???

How is the dynamic range compared to SS amps? Will it sound compressed?

Also, I printed the manual off the website. I do not understand how to connect the speakers. (I do not actually have the amp yet).

There is a top strip for impedance and a bottom strip with a "o", and an "H" terminal. What wires go where? I read the instructions over and over and it seems like too many terminals for just 2 wires.

Can one become an official Scott head with just a 222?

Thanks guys

Mark,

Nothing at all wrong with a 222A 1.gif El84/6BQ5 amps make plenty of sweet watts for the speakers you have listed. Not sure who you have in mind to rebuild the amp for you. I will caution you on trying the amp even on your less desired speakers. The danger here is not really to the speakers but the amp itself ! Many of my customer opt to have there amps sent directly to me from the seller to #1 save on shipping cost #2 keep them from getting the curious cat syndrome LOL !! These amps should be started slowly on a variac .

Craig

I'll "third" that opinion. My 299B arrived this weekend and it looks great. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet as all my audio gear is taken apart to allow for the carpet cleaners to come through, but you can bet that pretty soon the Scott/K-horn combo will be singing sweetly at my place.

Ryan,

Thanks for the informative comments. I am surprisd to hear that the 222A compares to the 299s I read that everyone buys.

I suspected the power difference wouldn't hurt my system any, so I went for it after careful reading.

I just hope it arrives soon. Testimonials like yours are what gets me really excited about this unit.

Thanks again.