McIntosh amps with built-in preamps

Taylorshop

Hi Guy & Gals,

I would like to know your thoughts on using a seperate preamp with old Mac tube amps. I am using a set of MC-30s and they sound better without a seperate preamp. Would using a seperate preamp amplify/condition the signal twice. The pre I used is a Quicksilver fullfuntion tube preamp. Do you think using a different tube pre would improve anything. Speakers are '84 Khorns.

Thanks,

Calvin4.gif

Here's a Placette on A'gon http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1065233772&2&3&4&

Another nice passive is the Reference Line Preeminence http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatran&1064953862

or its cheaper brother...http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?preatran&1064210455

You should also look at passives from Creek as they offer good value/performance.

One caveat - check the output impedance and voltages of your sources carefully as some components do not match well with passives. Have fun, Bryan

Well a volume control built into a power amp like the MC30 really isn't a preamp. When I had the MC240 here for a check up I thought it sounded much better with my Scott 130 then the CD directly into the amp. The sound field just seems to grow and become more detailed.

Craig

I'm sure if I was able to purchase another tube preamp (instead of driving my CD player directly through my MC2100), the overall sound quality of my present system would improve as well. If it wasn't for my current financial woes, I'd love to have another tube preamp. But I have to admit the sound I have right now "preampless" isn't all that bad either.

Hi Guy,

Yes, I have tube rolled trying to get the best overall

sound and quietness. I even called Quicksilver, and the person on the other end, told me that my Quicksilver pre was not a good match for Khorns; but I finally found the right tubes to reduce the noise a bit. Anyway, I had my wife sit center stage as I swapped the inputs from the preamp directly to the Macs and she agreed that the soundstage seem to be larger without the Quicksilver pre. (The amps were powered off during the swaps and restarted.) I agree, the Quicksilver is a quality product, but to my ears, it seem to be a bit lean. I'll try another A/B test to check myself. I really would like to keep it because it is tube and has a phono section.

Calvin